• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Sanjuro

Sign 'em Mo! Unless he's gay.

mEvVyff.jpg

On one hand it's pretty funny that they'd rather have the guy retire than let his son keep on coming to the clubhouse. On the other hand I'd fucking hate it if a coworker brought their kid to work every day.

why? what's the big deal?

This is from 2013, but a bit more insight into the story...

l3hCdaB.png

uh.... if he's being homeschooled so what?

kind of agree.. I'm sure he's a sweet kid and all but gtfo

and go to school

always wondered about those bat boys though.. do they get tutored or what

for the Yankees, you have to have a letter of recommendation from a teacher and have really good grades.

Yea doesn't the kid have school wtf

most of the season is during the summer so what's the big deal?

why? what's the big deal?

uh.... if he's being homeschooled so what?

for the Yankees, you have to have a letter of recommendation from a teacher and have really good grades.

most of the season is during the summer so what's the big deal?

So everyone can bring their kids to work? Why stop there, let players bring their wives to work and on the road. It's ridiculous. It's one thing to let your kid be a ballboy or something, but having a 14 year old around in a workplace all day everyday I can understand why it would be grating and why they would just put a blanket rule in place.

Are we still doing a fantasy league? Or did everyone go back to Enron's?

So everyone can bring their kids to work? Why stop there, let players bring their wives to work and on the road. It's ridiculous. It's one thing to let your kid be a ballboy or something, but having a 14 year old around in a workplace all day everyday I can understand why it would be grating and why they would just put a blanket rule in place.

I agree. I think it is weird to have your kid around the lockeroom environment. I just think it is an odd choice.

I have a feeling something more is at play here with LaRoche.

Bronson Arroyo, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery, has an 80% torn labrum in his shoulder. He's currently signed to a minor league deal with the Nationals. This is a pretty significant injury for a 39-year-old, so he may be done.

Rivitur

Banned
Bronson Arroyo, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery, has an 80% torn labrum in his shoulder. He's currently signed to a minor league deal with the Nationals. This is a pretty significant injury for a 39-year-old, so he may be done.
Surely he has a career with the Rockettes tho right?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
/facepalm

You may recall that we discussed the New York Yankees' bumbling attempt to institute a new ticket policy for Yankee Stadium that disallowed print-at-home tickets. Dressed up as a policy designed to combat fake tickets being sold by scalpers, the policy was actually designed to be a warm hug to the team's partner Ticketmaster and a slap to Ticketmaster rival StubHub, as well as all of the other secondary market resellers out there. Still, some people probably shrugged, assuming that this would only have an effect on Yankees fans, a group that might find the soil of sympathy barren.

But of course that assumption isn't true. Aside from representing a potentially virulent precedent that could be adopted by other teams, the Yankees aren't the only team that plays in Yankee Stadium. The local soccer (football) team, New York City FC, not only plays there as well, but the team hosted a match recently, and that match was likewise governed by the new ticket policy. So, how'd that work out exactly?

Thanks to member [Albany] for the pic. 8 minutes out! pic.twitter.com/wqaKJ9UmQ2
— NYCFC Forums (@NYCFCForums) March 13, 2016

Now, it's a bit confusing from the tweet, but that picture was taken shortly before the match was to begin, during warmups. It was not, as some had interpreted, taken with eight minutes left in the game. Which isn't to say that the results of the new ticket policy were anything short of disastrous.

Entry to the @NYCFC game at @Yankees Stadium is a DISASTER. Everyone in line has a paper ticket and is being turned away. @YankeesPR — Daniel Roberts (@readDanwrite) March 13, 2016

Yankee Stadium doesn't care about its customers, the ticket-holders. overtly disrespects them. @Yankees @NYCFC pic.twitter.com/pQOCmT0Jud
— Daniel Roberts (@readDanwrite) March 13, 2016

And the Deadspin post has a rolling series of tweets, including more pictures of crowded lines of pissed off fans, with reports that getting in was a massive problem, fans were being turned away, and everyone involved was generally aggravated.

Now, some will retreat back to the safety of the assertion that any new policy will breed some confusion and take time before all things go seamlessly. And, hey, that's true. However, this fustercluck also is a wonderful reminder of just how full of crap the Yankees were when they rolled out this policy. Were fraud to be a massive issue in need of addressing, why then is there so much overwhelming demand from fans for the use of print-at-home tickets? If the secondary market were a cesspool of fraud and abuse, that demand would cease to be. Yet, there was so much of that demand for this NYCFC match, that the ticket gates were mobbed by the angry. Not the best of starts for a fan-friendly ticket policy, methinks...
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...er-match-yankee-stadium-into-ghost-town.shtml

edit: deadspin article. http://screamer.deadspin.com/nobody-can-get-into-the-nycfc-game-at-yankee-stadium-be-1764653202

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
those mother fuckers

WASHINGTON — Since the team’s arrival in Washington, D.C. in 2005, Nationals fans have enjoyed MillerCoors beverages in addition to local craft beverages through the District Drafts program.

Beginning in 2016, Anheuser-Busch, maker of such brands as Budweiser, Bud Light and Stella Artois, will reportedly take over as the major beer sponsor at Nats Park.

According to a report in the Washington Business Journal, the team and companies have yet to comment publicly, but season ticket holders have already been consulted in focus groups and informed of the decision.

One casualty of the decision will be the Sam Adams beer stand, which will be replaced by a Bud-branded and margarita stand. District Drafts, which had previously featured Washington, D.C.-area brews at stands on the main concourse of sections 117 and 139, will continue in 2016.

Anheuser-Busch is America’s largest beer producer and is the official beer sponsor of Major League Baseball through the 2018 season. As of 2012, the company held sponsorship deals with 24-of-30 Major League Baseball teams, of which none involved pouring rights inside the stadium.

As of 2014, Anheuser-Busch was the most-recognized MLB sponsor among the league’s fans.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/02/14/report-nationals-major-beer-sponsor-changing-for-2016/

edit: http://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...sponsor-nats-eye-a-big-change-at-the-tap.html

nats sam adams 10 yr anniversary brew was amazing.

I said my respect for LaRoche went up before knowing the situation....
But the whole thing is just stupid and even more stupid is, people supporting him make it sound like he had Sophie's choice between retiring from baseball or killing his son. For fuck's sake everything they wanted him to do is not to bring his kid all the time.

it's a shame you need the simple plan.
my wife is on the select choice which is $20 a month cheaper and thus likely won't let me get mlb.tv but I might try anyways.

I am seriously thinking about switching to t-mobile now. I have been super bummed out about missing out on the Phillies this year, especially since things are on such a huge up swing for them.

zulux21

Further Details On The Adam LaRoche Situation
CSN Chicago’s David Kaplan reports a number of elements on the decision, including the fact that allowing Drake to be in the clubhouse every day was actually a requirement for LaRoche to even sign with the Sox in the first place
According to Kaplan (link), LaRoche would not have signed with Chicago had he not been promised full access for his son, and both Ventura and GM Rick Hahn agreed to the situation before LaRoche was signed (link). Furthermore, Kaplan hears that White Sox players had a “very heated” meeting with management wherein high-profile players, including Chris Sale, “really went after” Williams. Kaplan describes the meeting as “very contentious,” noting that the Sox clubhouse think highly of LaRoche and his son.

adding that Sale told Williams to get out of the clubhouse and stay out.

so yeah, it might not be officially in his contract, but if there was a verbal agrement in place for the kid, then they should honor it.

as much as I would like Laroche to retire and free up 13 mil, with these new details I think i have to root for a change of heart as something like this could fracture a team and make it perform poorly, while a turn around could really strengthen team bonds and help it perform better.

Think, Major League movie :p

I like rooting for baseball players until they remind me that they have some serious flaws as people.

In this case if the players don't have a problem with it then I don't see why anyone would. I think if the players did then it would obviously be a problem but it seems as a whole the White Sox clubhouse is behind LaRoche, which I still find odd since having a kid in that environment is weird to me still.

In this case if the players don't have a problem with it then I don't see why anyone would. I think if the players did then it would obviously be a problem but it seems as a whole the White Sox clubhouse is behind LaRoche, which I still find odd since having a kid in that environment is weird to me still.

Supposedly some players did express to Willams that they had an issue with it, and judging by how much of an asshole Sale's reaction makes him seem like, I'm not surprised they probably did it privately/anonymously. This may have been causing a divide or tension in the clubhouse and Williams wanted to nip it in the bud. Sometimes management wants to make changes to the clubhouse, particularly if the team has been as mediocre as Chicago lately. Sometimes that's banning beer after games, or taking a pool table out of the training room. In this case it's telling a player to take his 14 year old son home and leaving him there. I don't see that as unreasonable.

Supposedly some players did express to Willams that they had an issue with it, and judging by how much of an asshole Sale's reaction makes him seem like, I'm not surprised they probably did it privately/anonymously. This may have been causing a divide or tension in the clubhouse and Williams wanted to nip it in the bud. Sometimes management wants to make changes to the clubhouse, particularly if the team has been as mediocre as Chicago lately. Sometimes that's banning beer after games, or taking a pool table out of the training room. In this case it's telling a player to take his 14 year old son home and leaving him there. I don't see that as unreasonable.

I don't find it unreasonable either. I am surprised Sale is so worked up over it.

I mean there has to be something else behind all this..

Passing up on a $13M contract because you demand that your son comes to work with you every day may honestly be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Demand a trade Sale!
That's what this is all about. Sale is trying to orchestrate a situation where the White Sox become forced to trade him to a contender. First, he anonymously complains about the kid, then leads the revolution against Williams after he bans the kid. Now there's a "toxic" relationship between him and management. The clubhouse is fracturing, and Sale gets to pout until they trade him.

It's genius. 11th dimensional chess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-baseballs-new-data-is-changing-sabermetrics/

Another of the conference’s talks dug deeper into Statcast’s exit velocity information. Most notably, Brian Cartwright, creator of the Oliver projections at FanGraphs, discussed how exit velocity alters our view of defense-independent pitching statistics. DIPS theory is one of sabermetrics’ most treasured counterintuitive insights — the idea that pitchers bear no responsibility for the results of balls in play — but Cartwright showed that a ball’s velocity off the bat is partly attributable to the pitcher (even if the batter deserves more of the credit). He also broke down exit velocity by angle and explained that even fly balls allowed by ground-ball pitchers travel at a lower angle, making them more difficult for the defense to field. For instance, Andrew McCutchen and his fellow Pirate outfielders were notably harmed by their ground-ball pitching staff’s tendency to allow these low screamers.

Most analyses of exit velocity so far have concluded that, contrary to DIPS, pitchers do vary some in their ability to prevent hits.
So even if, generally speaking, a pitcher’s fielding-independent metrics are more predictive than his ERA, Cartwright’s results suggest that pitchers still deserve some credit in a given year for the batting average they allow on balls in play.

As we come to better understand the granular data from Statcast, it’s possible that popular DIPS metrics such as fielding independent pitching will become outmoded.

Top Bottom