• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Passing up on $13 million. Seriously, hire a diamond encrusted babysitter and call it a day.
That or have him home school while the games are on.

But anyways GL to Adam on retirement. He'll probably end up coaching his son's high school team now

Beckx

Cutch says he's finally feeling healthy and getting power from his legs again (and it's showing in spring)

Hurdle is considering batting Cutch second based on analytics. Cutch has apparently come up with 2 out and no one on a ridiculous number of times.

Last year fangraphs had an interesting article showing that almost all the guys who were giving up the highest exit velocities gave up the most runs. the one exception was Burnett. but by the end of the year that caught up with him.

Tom Penny

"I'm sure a lot of kids growing up now, down the road, when they look back and see that they were in the clubhouse with their dad, it's going to mean a lot to them down the road," Shaw said. "I definitely do think it kind of molded me into who I am today, and I'm thankful for it."

I definitely knew lots of kids raised in an MLB clubhouse...shit is tragic.

The kid stuff is confusing. He should be in damn school! Then I see a three year old article where LaRoche says he and his wife don't value traditional school for their boy and he learns well in the clubhouse.

WTF parenting, right there. Good thing the boy will grow up rich, I suppose.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Im sitting here scratching my head as to why Jon Singleton is still on the Astros roster after all these years.

Reed confirmed opening day starter.

Jonny gonna get traded for a bag of weed.

The kid stuff is confusing. He should be in damn school! Then I see a three year old article where LaRoche says he and his wife don't value traditional school for their boy and he learns well in the clubhouse.

WTF parenting, right there. Good thing the boy will grow up rich, I suppose.

Wait, what?

I thought he was just going in the clubhouse during home games after school or something.

That shit is bizarre.

The only thing he'll learn in that clubhouse is how to swear in multiple languages.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Wait, what?

I thought he was just going in the clubhouse during home games after school or something.

That shit is bizarre.

The only thing he'll learn in that clubhouse is how to swear in multiple languages.
And that 'the gays' should be killed, apparently.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's gross that it happened anywhere, and I hope the Cards will back up what they said and actually take steps to stop it, but I reeeeeeealy doubt that kind of language is only present in clubhouses associated with the Cardinals.
I assume this is actually more prevalent in baseball than any other sport, given that more and more of the player base is geographically concentrated in origin from areas like Georgia and Texas.

It's gross that it happened anywhere, and I hope the Cards will back up what they said and actually take steps to stop it, but I reeeeeeealy doubt that kind of language is only present in clubhouses associated with the Cardinals.

Let me make my joke at the expense of The Great Satan.

And yes, speaking first hand it's widely more prevalent in baseball than it is in most other sports, especially with the influx of LA players. I never talked about my sexuality while playing, it's a landmine waiting to go off.

BFIB

Baseball is way more vulgar. Every time I turn it on a guy is scratching his crotch, or AROD rubbing his bat between his legs.

zulux21

Reed confirmed opening day starter.

Jonny gonna get traded for a bag of weed.

Wait, what?

That shit is bizarre.

from what I have read the kid doesn't go to school at all, though he might be home schooled from time to time, but he has been traveling with his dad basically being the 26th player for the last 5 years.

zroid

Banned
this is a picture of the blue jays radio play by play guy's scorecard from ALDS game 5.

some stuff happened in that game, I think...

screenshot_2016-03-18xbjca.png

Rafael Soriano is retiring. He was signed to a minor league deal by the Blue Jays, but never showed up to camp due to work visa issues.

JDeluis

So are the rest of you Dodgers fans signing up MLB.TV Premium - Yearly or MLB.TV Single Team?

I was going to go for single team, but Premium comes wit At Bat Premium and 60 frames per second (Just bought a Apple TV 4)

Also with Netflix cracking down on people using DNS services, is that affecting U.S. residents as well?

jbug617

Banned
This LaRoche thing is getting nasty. You can't have your Ace that pissed off

@BillShaikin: Drake LaRoche's uniform hanging by Chris Sale's locker.

@BillShaikin: Laeoche jersey hanging by Sale's locker, autographed: "To Chris: Thanks for taking care of me. Drake LaRoche"
@BillShaikin: Chris Sale: "This isn't us rebelling against rules. This is us rebelling against BS."

@BillShaikin: Chris Sale said Ken Williams told "bald-faced lie," variously blamed teammtes, coaches and management for change in Drake La Roche's access.

BumRush

I just don't understand. If one of my employees brought their kid to work every day, I'd say no. What's the difference here? Some players / coaches / etc. probably don't feel 100% comfortable saying things or expressing themselves the way they normally would around a kid.

It's fine to be there once in a while, if no one has a problem...but it should not be the expectation.

from what I have read the kid doesn't go to school at all, though he might be home schooled from time to time, but he has been traveling with his dad basically being the 26th player for the last 5 years.

I wondering about this. The local sports talk radio station that I listen to said that he doesnt go to school and isnt being home schooled but I dont see how that is legal.

Beckx

"Rich ballplayer able to avoid restrictions that hit most parents" doesn't seem like much of a surprise.

Kid's going to grow up to join some flat-earth cult

zroid

Banned
Brad Penny retires

that's the third player the Jays signed to a minor league deal this winter who retired :lol

poor guy got lit up by the Astros split squad yesterday

So are the rest of you Dodgers fans signing up MLB.TV Premium - Yearly or MLB.TV Single Team?

I was going to go for single team, but Premium comes wit At Bat Premium and 60 frames per second (Just bought a Apple TV 4)

Also with Netflix cracking down on people using DNS services, is that affecting U.S. residents as well?
No. I have Charter so I get SportsNet LA. They still give you blackouts on MLB.tv so I'm passing until they get rid of them completely.

zulux21

I just don't understand. If one of my employees brought their kid to work every day, I'd say no. What's the difference here? Some players / coaches / etc. probably don't feel 100% comfortable saying things or expressing themselves the way they normally would around a kid.

It's fine to be there once in a while, if no one has a problem...but it should not be the expectation.

except that it was in laroach's contract to be able to bring his kid there as often as he wanted and thus should be expected?

he has apparently been doing this for 5 years and was one of the conditions to sign with the white sox, thus why sale is so mad. It doesn't look good when you try to change the terms of the contract after it's been made legally binding.

I am actually surprised the players association hasn't chimed in yet.

Beckx

except that it was in laroach's contract to be able to bring his kid there as often as he wanted and thus should be expected?

actually I thought that it wasn't in his contract "but they said they would do it"

it's a good lesson for the kid that he can learn from being in the clubhouse: get it in writing.

he has apparently been doing this for 5 years and was one of the conditions to sign with the white sox, thus why sale is so mad. It doesn't look good when you try to change the terms of the contract after it's been made legally binding.

I am actually surprised the players association hasn't chimed in yet.

Probably because it wasn't in his contract, and just an understanding he had. These things could change. If Williams thought things needed to change I don't see why this verbal agreement was suddenly untouchable.

zulux21

actually I thought that it wasn't in his contract "but they said they would do it"

it's a good lesson for the kid that he can learn from being in the clubhouse: get it in writing.

Probably because it wasn't in his contract, and just an understanding he had. These things could change. If Williams thought things needed to change I don't see why this verbal agreement was suddenly untouchable.

it's not in the written part as far as I have heard but a verbal contract of that nature is just as legally binding if the parties involved all confirm it (aka burden of proof), which they have. It wasn't in the best interest of laroach not to have it included in writing, but that doesn't change the fact that the verbal contract should be enforced.

RBH

Cd1XNm8VAAAwaZD.jpg:large

Cdxo6btWoAEh1os.jpg:large

I can't wait to see Albies, Swanson, and Mallex on the main roster in the future.

Now spring training is less exciting. :(

BumRush

Saying they would allow it and putting it in writing are very different things though.

I'll go back to my work example. I verbally allowed my employees half days every Friday IF they still managed to complete their work, which some abused. I held a meeting telling them I had to take them away. It wasn't in any type of contract, just an agreement that I had with my department. The LaRoche thing seems no different to me.

Top Bottom