• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

it's not in the written part as far as I have heard but a verbal contract of that nature is just as legally binding if the parties involved all confirm it (aka burden of proof), which they have. It wasn't in the best interest of laroach not to have it included in writing, but that doesn't change the fact that the verbal contract should be enforced.

no it's not, not when a written contract existed. And the players union is not going to get into the business of enforcing or endorsing their players get into these kinds of verbal, secondary agreements with players. Everything should be in the written contract. LaRoche didn't have a leg to stand on if he tried to take it in that direction, no more than Josh Beckett and Jon Lester had a a "verbal arrangement" to drink beer and eat chicken in the club house.

Beckx

it's not in the written part as far as I have heard but a verbal contract of that nature is just as legally binding if the parties involved all confirm it (aka burden of proof), which they have. It wasn't in the best interest of laroach not to have it included in writing, but that doesn't change the fact that the verbal contract should be enforced.

actually no, if you have a verbal understanding but then sign a contract, the written contract typically "merges" the prior understandings into the written document. most corporations include explicit language stating that this is case.

additionally, when you sue for breach of a contract, the court will typically not admit evidence of the verbal understanding unless the written contract is unclear.

zulux21

Saying they would allow it and putting it in writing are very different things though.

I'll go back to my work example. I verbally allowed my employees half days every Friday IF they still managed to complete their work, which some abused. I held a meeting telling them I had to take them away. It wasn't in any type of contract, just an agreement that I had with my department. The LaRoche thing seems no different to me.
From the perspective of players that want to continue working and trust the white sox upper management it will make absolutely no difference but...

no it's not, not when a written contract existed. And the players union is not going to get into the business of enforcing or endorsing their players get into these kinds of verbal, secondary agreements with players. Everything should be in the written contract. LaRoche didn't have a leg to stand on if he tried to take it in that direction, no more than Josh Beckett and Jon Lester had a a "verbal arrangement" to drink beer and eat chicken in the club house.

laws very from state to state but a written contract doesn't nullify any verbal contract unless stated in the written contract. You can use verbal contracts to modify signed written contracts they are just a bitch to prove because the side that is trying to adhire to the original contract, if they are intelligent at all, won't admit that they made a verbal agreement thus it becomes he said she said which typically fails to show proof of the verbal contract. If however he can prove that they made such an agreement in order for him to sign (which has been shown by the parties involved admiring to such a thing) it is still technically just as valid as the written contract(assuming the written contract doesn't state that oral agreements are not applicable to the contract). It's unlikely it would ever hold up in a court of law since most law bodies don't actually treat verbal contracts very well despite laws that say that they are legally binding (since they are hard to prove and not usually worth the effort. Most people know if you want a contract to stick do it in writing), but whether it's absolutely legally binding or not makes no difference.

If they said he is allowed there and that was the terms of him signing, they shouldn't change it. It sends a bad message and shows that the white sox upper management is absolute scum.

and I say this as a life long white sox fan that thinks the kid has absolutely no real business being there and that the original terms that the kid can be there are ridiculous. It makes no difference, unless there was a law chance that changed the legality of the verbal agreement there is no good reason to change things now, especially when there is only one more season of the contract left.

actually no, if you have a verbal understanding but then sign a contract, the written contract typically "merges" the prior understandings into the written document. most corporations include explicit language stating that this is case.

additionally, when you sue for breach of a contract, the court will typically not admit evidence of the verbal understanding unless the written contract is unclear.

i hate situations like this. everyone with an opinion on the proper outcome becomes a simultaneous expert on the things involved - here contract law, home school, truancy laws, special needs, etc. As a lawyer and parent of kids with special needs who are home schooled, i'll be glad to see this particular news item go away.

I go into it more in my post here, and in this case the phrase legally binding is weird, as by the basic letter of the law it isn't that different (the big difference is written proves itself which is why it holds up, verbal doesn't which is why it rarely does), but getting a court to side with you is a completely different story and unlikely to happen. Also it is possible the white sox have language in there for such a situation (in fact I would be surprised if they don't have a line in there saying that it can't be modified except by a new written contract), we don't know that. He obviously has no grounds to stand on for suing for a breach of contract in a court of law though, never meant to imply he did nor am I trying to be some sort of expert (the talk of the players union wasn't for legal action but because they love to step in for disputes involving players and teams all the time). I have enough law studies to know in the real world verbal contracts are basically worthless even if there are laws to make them not that way (I studied business law for a while but am not actively studying it thus things likely changed)

I am also saying in the grand scheme of things the law on verbal contracts don't matter at all, he isn't trying to pursue a legal route (nor was I implying that he should), but if I am a player for the white sox I am starting to think about running away from the team at the first chance I get over this if they don't change things. Just like I would never sign for the marlins after what they did to Mark Buehrle.

edit:
there we go. The players union is looking into it and might file a grievance (and other details) I guess they are still waiting for more facts before they fully back him, but like I said I was surprised they weren't involved yet since they like being there whenever there is a dispute whether it's a legal dispute or not :p

anyways moving onto a new topic
031516_cle_weathers_pitch_low_tum_y65axgz1.gif
Casey Weathers hits 108 on radar gun :p

Parch

Aaron Sanchez has another good outing. Good to see because he would be a lot more valuable as a productive starter instead of in the bullpen.

Jays looking good. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing there are more options in LF and 5th SP. With Batista and Encarnacion expecting ridiculous money, this might be the last year the Jays field a lineup like this.

zulux21

Aaron Sanchez has another good outing. Good to see because he would be a lot more valuable as a productive starter instead of in the bullpen.

Jays looking good. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing there are more options in LF and 5th SP. With Batista and Encarnacion expecting ridiculous money, this might be the last year the Jays field a lineup like this.

I'd love to see the jays do well. though I will be honest like half of that love is because it would mean only one of the yankees or red sox could get into the playoffs if the jays won the division.

9 run inning and Franco hits another homer!

No one believed me when I said hat Ryan Howard is making his comeback this year! Grand slam! Holy shit it was a bomb! also he is 3-4 today with 5 RBIs

RBH

gl1w2c86ryviqwirrmxi.jpg

The Atlanta Braves picked lefty Evan Rutckyj in the Rule 5 draft in December, taking him from the New York Yankees’ organization. The pitcher was happy for a change of scenery. Too bad for Rutckyj: The 24-year-old’s going back to the Yankees.

The transaction comes a few days after Rutckyj told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution how he felt more welcome in the Braves’ organization:

“I feel like we can talk to anybody here,” said Rutckyj, (pronounced RUT-skee). “It’s kind of different from the Yankees, where if one of the coordinators or somebody walks by you, like, put your head down and mind your own business. But here everybody wants you to talk to them.”

“I feel like everybody wants to work with you here,” he said, “and I have a good shot this year, hopefully.”

A team with a Rule 5 draftee has to decide if it wants to keep the player on its major league roster (allowing for various disabled list-related shenanigans) for the whole season. If not, the player is sent back to his original team. Today, the Braves chose to return Rutckyj:

"#Yankees re-acquire LHP Evan Rutckyj from Braves as a Rule 5 draft returnee, assign him to Triple-A "
http://deadspin.com/pitcher-who-liked-the-braves-more-than-the-yankees-sent-1765754547

Surely at this point Sanchez has earned a spot in the rotation?

With Batista and Encarnacion expecting ridiculous money, this might be the last year the Jays field a lineup like this.

Edwing is such a mysterious player to me. It always feels like he's got an injury and is about to fall apart, and then he ends up having an excellent season.

RBH

So three spots in the Braves' rotation appear to be set:

Julio Teheran
Bud Norris
Matt Wisler

And the final two spots will be up for grabs between these guys right now:

Manny Banuelos
Jhoulys Chacin
Mike Foltynewicz
John Gant
Williams Perez
Ryan Weber

I'm thinking Chacin and Perez might get it, but Gant's quietly been having a great spring with another good outing today.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I lean more towards Chacin and Banuelos. Perez isn't that good. I also think someone from that group gets traded before opening day.

Malo

Banned
CC sucking even in ST. Only more more seasons, only two more seasons.

I lean more towards Chacin and Banuelos. Perez isn't that good. I also think someone from that group gets traded before opening day.
I hope Manny gets it and regains some of his stuff from when he was a top prospect. Dude was one of my favorite prospects to follow when he was in our system.

I might actually watch some barves games if he gets a rotation spot.

RBH

Only reason I said Perez over Banuelos is because I thought Banuelos was still recovering from injury. Otherwise, I would rather have him over Perez.

CygnusXS

Only reason I said Perez over Banuelos is because I thought Banuelos was still recovering from injury. Otherwise, I would rather have him over Perez.

He's a little behind schedule but based on everything I've heard, he could be pegged as the 5th starter and get a little extra time that way.

Rivitur

Banned
Who is Carl Crawford?
I talked to Carl when he was filming with a ESPN crew.

One of the beat quotes I've ever heard:

Me: "So why did you go to the red Sox really?"

Carl: "Shit, did you see all that money? Oh you guys can edit that right?"

Also got some of his game worn shoes and an autographed hat.

Parch

Surely at this point Sanchez has earned a spot in the rotation?
Media types are saying he's the Jays 2nd best starter right now, so it's probably a lock.
He just needed to gain control and stop bouncing the off-speed pitches. He's got a great fastball so there's always been good potential that he could be a quality starter if he can just get a grip with the control.

CygnusXS

Ken Rosenthal
‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Great news on Bronson Arroyo, per source. Doctor misread MRI. Rotator cuff OK. Issue is bursa sac inflammation. Will be down 7 to 10 days.

From an 80% torn labrum to this. Well, OK.

CygnusXS

JJ Cooper
‏@jjcoop36

Btw Kolby Allard (back) is behind but not too far behind. Expect a late-April, early May minor league arrival. Braves being cautious.

I think this was always the expected time table. Guess that means he's going to Rome, too.

CC sucking even in ST. Only more more seasons, only two more seasons.

I hope Manny gets it and regains some of his stuff from when he was a top prospect. Dude was one of my favorite prospects to follow when he was in our system.

I might actually watch some barves games if he gets a rotation spot.

Would CC be ok as a setup man from now on? Also Yanks how's James Kapriliean, the guy from UCLA doing?

Sanjuro

I talked to Carl when he was filming with a ESPN crew.

One of the beat quotes I've ever heard:

Me: "So why did you go to the red Sox really?"

Carl: "Shit, did you see all that money? Oh you guys can edit that right?"

Also got some of his game worn shoes and an autographed hat.

Did you throw the shoes and hat in the fucking trash?

Top Bottom