• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
4Oo1Pdh.jpg

Enron's/Darkside's car?

SNsFX.png

CC isn't going to the bullpen. He's owed $50 million over the next two seasons. And setting up who? He'd be a loogy at best if by some miracle he ended up in the bp.

As for Kap, he hasn't pitched much since signing, but his fastball velocity has seen an uptick from 88-92 at UCLA to 92-96 since he signed and he maintained that in ST.

He got sent to minor league camp about a week ago should start the season in High A. If everything goes well, he'll get a call-up towards the end of the season. He's our best pitching prospect.
Thanks for the updates. I drafted James in my second round of my keeper league. I was thinking he might be a steal in the future

Chone Figgins, 38, has announced his retirement. Figgins had not played in the Majors since 2014, appearing in 38 games with the Dodgers after sitting out all of 2013. He signed a one-day contract with the Angels.

Jeff6851

It's nice to see Verlander and Greene doing well. I hope V Mart is ready for Opening Day because Detroit isn't going far without him playing well.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/p...rows-as-new-technology-expands-whats-possible
Jason Sherwin was a research professor of visual neuroscience at the State University of New York after holding appointments as a postdoctoral research scientist at Columbia and at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory. He's the co-founder of a company called deCervo, which has already worked with seven major league organizations. His objective: to see what the brain is doing when a batter is responding to a pitch.

He and co-founder Jordan Muraskin developed an EEG headset that monitors brain activity as players use an app on their phones or computer -- similar to a video game -- to simulate hitting a pitch. (The simulator uses actual PITCHf/x data, so you can, say, replicate the speed and movement of Clayton Kershaw's curveball). They then capture the player's neural and behavioral metrics of pitch and strike recognition. For instance, Sherwin showed an example player's Neural Decision time (a neural metric) being 31 feet from release and Physical Decision time (a behavioral metric) being at 38 feet.

But here's the key: In their study of college, minor league and major league players they've worked with, those with better response times performed better at the plate, producing higher on-base percentages. While Sherwin envisions his tool as a training device for hitters -- you're facing Kershaw tonight, instead of just reading a boring scouting report or watching video you'll be able to practice "hitting his pitches" -- it also presents a way to evaluate hitters. "It's got scouting potential, 100 percent. How well does he recognize the slider? This can measure that. ... That's something we're seeing teams want it for."

Imagine the potential implications. A team is scouting a player with great athletic ability, tremendous bat speed and a picture-perfect swing. The deCervo Baseball Profile determines the kid has poor pitch recognition on breaking balls. Do you still draft him? Scouts can evaluate a player's physical skills; they can attempt to evaluate his mental makeup; in the future, teams will have a way to evaluate the brain itself.

"We're looking at what happens to the point when the players make that decision," Sherwin said. "We'll view cognitive measurement and accurate cognitive measurement as something we couldn't believe we lived without for the last 100 years. We've focused on the physical aspect. That's going to be the huge impact in the future value-wise."
cool stuff. Unfortunately, John Sickles is probably right. Going forward, the advanced analytics will not be public.
The sabermetric breakthrough of the last 30 years was driven, at least at first, by outsiders, people like Bill James and Craig Wright finding new ways to understand and analyze information that was, for the most part, publicly available. Eventually many of these outsiders became insiders as more and more teams adopted sabermetric concepts. Every team uses this type of research now, with some clubs having quite large research departments.

But it seems that the newest frontiers involve data that is not publicly available and likely never will be. Certainly nothing like a brainscan will ever show up in a boxscore or a TV broadcast. Baseball has certainly benefited from the insights of "informed outsiders." But I wonder if that era is coming to an end?
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Wei-Yin Chen is the Opening Day starter for the Marlins. Jose Fernandez is being put on a schedule that should only let him get 28 or 29 starts this year.

They aren't competing.

Wei-Yin Chen is the Opening Day starter for the Marlins. Jose Fernandez is being put on a schedule that should only let him get 28 or 29 starts this year.

They aren't competing.

What's the point of saving Jose Fernandez if you're not going to pony up the money that he's gonna ask for? It makes no fucking sense. I'm milking him for all he's worth while paying him peanuts.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What's the point of saving Jose Fernandez if you're not going to pony up the money that he's gonna ask for? It makes no fucking sense. I'm milking him for all he's worth while paying him peanuts.

The article on it says Boras was involved in the decision-making process, so he probably pushed them for it.

They aren't competing.

Hey that's not true! The Marlins will be competing
for 3rd place in the NL East.

As for Jose, I'm pretty sure the Marlins are going to find ways to limit his first half action and "save" him for a second half playoff run. I don't really see the reasoning behind it and to be honest it's another "fuck you" to the fans who wanted to see Jose on opening day.

So? Scott Boras doesn't own the rights to Jose Fernandez. He's not the one that paid money to develop him.

I agree that Boras shouldn't have any say in how the Marlins manage Jose. For what it's worth, it was reported that the Marlins originally told Boras he would not be involved in any innings limit decisions. It was Fernandez who insisted that Boras be a part of the decision.

Fernandez is smart, he doesn't want his elbow to become ribbons again before his payday, that's why he's more than happy giving Boras clout to use against the team. Miami is stupid for listening, but they have two more World Series than my team, so what do I know.

I don't know how I just realized that Red Sox legend Wade Miley is on the Mariners now

Tuned into this recorded game against the Indians from yesterday on MLBN and I see that he's down 3-0 after 5 innings. Sounds about right

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
There is that piece of shit Torii Hunter fanatic, Lambtron.
Love you too, friend.

Where is Lambton? Did he ever get that Torii autograph?
Legitimately deciding if I should go to his Twins hall of fame enshrinement ceremony and boo the entire time. Fuck that guy forever.

I'm going to try and watch more Twins games this year after having a blast at a game last summer.

Any Twins fans in here? What channels are games typically broadcast on? FSN? Any local/OTA channels?
No OTA games (except the handful that end up on Fox Saturday Baseball), all on FSN. The announcers are fucking putrid so mute them or listen to the radio guys, who are pretty decent.

Anyway, I'm just praying that our 270 lb. right fielder doesn't blow out a knee in spring training while admiring Park's dingers. I'll be more active once real baseball starts.

zroid

Banned
This is sort of interesting. On the process by which the Blue Jays are determining whether Aaron Sanchez should start this year:

Everybody with a role in the Sanchez decision says it will come down to what’s best for the team. President Mark Shapiro says objective data will form part of that rationale, but let’s face it, given the complex dynamics at play here, determining what’s best for the team is ultimately subjective.

Shapiro, however, says he tries to make it as objective as possible, in part by consulting a score of staffers. Faced with these kinds of decisions, he and Atkins solicit opinions by email, which, he says, helps keeps emotion to a minimum, makes staff feel their views are valued and gives those atop the hierarchy the best input possible.

“Some of the best ideas come from some of the most junior people,” Shapiro says. “So want to make sure we foster the creativity, we foster the inclusiveness of our culture. And so we send out a questionnaire to 20 people and get all of their feedback – all the staff, all the uniformed staff, all the people that work in our baseball operations department, some of our key scouts. We’ll factor all of that information in, we’ll frame the decision and then we’ll get a much smaller group of people in the room to kind of make the decision in the end.”

Top Bottom