• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

zulux21

You think Someday Cuba will have an MLB team?

I don't think so. Unless teleportation gets perfected in the next 10 years or so I feel like instead of expanding MLB officially to places like Cuba and EU they will instead just make 3 more leagues in general perhaps EU, Asia and Central America.

The MLB season would be left mostly alone just the world series would change. It would be the MLB series instead and then the champ from MLB would face off against one of the other leagues while the other two would face. And then the winners of those would face in the final world series to make the name finally fitting.

The problem with that though is there isn't as much money for the other leagues, so either MLB would be overly stacked with talent and it wouldn't even be a good final match up, or the talent stays in their areas and MLB in general has less superstars to draw attention which could hurt ratings.

logistics aside it would be great to see baseball become more of a world wide thing.

I don't think so. Unless teleportation gets perfected in the next 10 years or so I feel like instead of expanding MLB officially to places like Cuba and EU they will instead just make 3 more leagues in general perhaps EU, Asia and Central America.

The MLB season would be left mostly alone just the world series would change. It would be the MLB series instead and then the champ from MLB would face off against one of the other leagues while the other two would face. And then the winners of those would face in the final world series to make the name finally fitting.

The problem with that though is there isn't as much money for the other leagues, so either MLB would be overly stacked with talent and it wouldn't even be a good final match up, or the talent stays in their areas and MLB in general has less superstars to draw attention which could hurt ratings.

logistics aside it would be great to see baseball become more of a world wide thing.

man thats why im a big fan of the World Baseball Classic. it might not be perfect, but its a step in the right direction. seeing all these countries field teams for the qualifiers is encouraging

Quick

Banned
Just catching up to the Rays vs. Cuban National Team game in Havana.

Cuba's jersey is like a flashback to the mid-90s/early-2000s.

BFIB

Just catching up to the Rays vs. Cuban National Team game in Havana.

Cuba's jersey is like a flashback to the mid-90s/early-2000s.

barry-bonds-giants-tatc-99.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
For everyone in the NEOGAF Baseball keeper league - keeper rules from the commish (from him to you guys)-

can now keep whoever they want, up to 3 players, with no regard to what round they would slot in.

Also that the keeper deadline is Fri, April 1, and the draft is April 2nd at 9pm EDT

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

eh i don't think transportation would be a big hurdle. Havana is only an hour flight from Miami. 2hrs from Atlanta. About 5 hours from LA. (according to travelmath.com)

Just make a new Division. Atlanta, Miami, Tampa Bay, Havana and Washington (or hey, put a team in Puerto Rico) (edit, looks like PR is the same flight time as DC)

DC to Havana 2hrs 46min
Atlanta to Havana 1hr 59min
Tampa Bay to Havana 39min
Miami to Havana 57min

With the way the schedules are set up. Most of the games are played within the divisions now so it wouldn't be that big of an issue for the other team. Just need to schedule it so they play all of those teams at one time like teams do with the east and west coast teams.

(i mean if the braves can play in the NL West for all of those years then you can put a team anywhere).

Malo

Banned
Enron's Fantasy Baseball League is now full pending invites. This is a reminder to everyone in the league, the draft is this Sunday at 8:30pm EST.

BE THERE BITCHES

zulux21

:/

Baseball is a worldwide thing w/o MLB and has been for a long time.

when I say more of a worldwide thing I mean that we watch stuff around the world here where MLB is a big thing.

I don't mean it getting played worldwide and enjoy world wide. clearly it is doing that already or we wouldn't have players from around the world as they wouldn't be able to polish their skills.

It's a very tiny market outside of MLB right now in comparison, and it would be great if baseball became big around the world. That people who follow MLB had a real reason to follow other areas aside from maybe seeing people that might be signed to MLB down the line.

I mean it's currently called the world series but it's just the USA and a single Canadian team going for that title.

Beckx

It's a very tiny market outside of MLB right now in comparison, and it would be great if baseball became big around the world. That people who follow MLB had a real reason to follow other areas aside from maybe seeing people that might be signed to MLB down the line.

if you're not watching baseball outside the US today then you're not going to watch it if it's got an MLB brand applied to it either.

aFIGurANT

Enron's H2H league still needs five owners for the upcoming season. The draft will be Saturday April 2nd at 6PM PST. Yahoo, head-to-head, more sabr-friendly with holds, OBP, etc. involved in the scoring. 8x8 categories if I'm recalling correctly. You owe it to yourself to try this format if you've never done H2H or more nuanced scoring. If you want to join please PM me and we'll get an invite sent to you.

zulux21

if you're not watching baseball outside the US today then you're not going to watch it if it's got an MLB brand applied to it either.

I'm gonna have to disagree here.
If my mlb.tv sub included baseball outside of the US I would likely watch some of it, but it doesn't.

Beyond that MLB would do a better job advertising games if they built up new leagues.

Beckx

I'm gonna have to disagree here.
If my mlb.tv sub included baseball outside of the US I would likely watch some of it, but it doesn't.

Beyond that MLB would do a better job advertising games if they built up new leagues.

honestly i don't think you have really any idea what's going on outside the us or what you're suggesting when you talk about putting MLB leagues around the world.

there's a lot of cool stuff going on out there. in like 25 minutes an evil empire is taking the stage at Koshien and you can come join us to root against them.

Top Bottom