• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Rivitur

Banned
Mark my word Sandoval will be the clubs designated runner so he can lose weight, they'll probably send him to the bullpen in between innings to check if the phone is working.

Dodger fans, Just heard Fred Roggin saying Time Warner may drop the price to watch the games. DirecTV and other cable companies may pick up the channel.

Going into the 2016 season, here's an update on baseball's worst contracts.

Justin Verlander, 33, Tigers: 4 years, $112 million remaining on a 7-year, $180 million deal. The contract has a $22 million club option (no buyout) for 2020 that becomes guaranteed if Verlander finishes in the Top 5 of Cy Young voting in 2019.

Andre Ethier, 33, Dodgers: 2 years, $35.5 million remaining on a 5-year, $85 million deal. The contract has a $17.5 million club option ($2.5 million buy out) for 2018 that become guaranteed with 550 plate appearances in 2017 or a combined 1,100 plate appearances in 2016-2017.

Josh Hamilton, 34, Rangers: 2 years, $60 million remaining on a 5-year, $125 million deal. The Angels are paying the entirety of Hamilton's remaining contract. As part of the trade, Hamilton was given the ability to opt out of the contract after 2016.

Ryan Howard, 36, Phillies: 1 year, $25 million remaining on a 5-year, $125 million deal. The contract has a $23 million club option ($10 million buyout) for 2017.

Albert Pujols, 36, Angels: 6 years, $165 million remaining on a 10-year, $240 million deal.

Melvin Upton Jr., 31, Padres: 2 years, $31.9 million remaining on a 5-year, $75.25 million deal originally signed with the Braves. The Padres assumed the entire contract from the Braves in the Craig Kimbrel trade.

Matt Harrison, 30, Phillies: 2 years, $26 million remaining on a 5-year, $55 million deal originally signed with the Rangers. The Phillies assumed the entire contract from the Rangers in the Cole Hamels trade.

Alex Rodriguez, 40, Yankees: 2 years, $40 million remaining on a 10-year, $275 million deal.

Nick Swisher, 35, Braves: 1 year, $15 million remaining on a 4-year, $56 million deal originally signed with the Indians. The Indians sent along $7.5 million to the Braves to help cover Swisher's salary this season. He has a $14 million vesting option (no buyout) for 2017 that enacts if he has 550 plate appearances in 2016 and passes a physical at the end of the season.

Michael Bourn, 33, Braves: 1 year, $14 million remaining on a 4-year, $48 million deal originally signed with the Indians. The Indians sent along $7.5 million to the Braves to help cover Bourn's salary this season. He has a $14 million vesting option (no buyout) for 2017 that enacts if he has 550 plate appearances in 2016.

Edwin Jackson, 32, Marlins: 1 year, $11 million remaining on a 4-year, $52 million deal originally signed with the Cubs. The Cubs are paying $10,492,500 of Jackson's salary this year.

Elvis Andrus, 27, Rangers: 7 years, $103 million remaining on 8-year, $120 million extension.

Carlos Beltran, 38, Yankees: 1 year, $15 million remaining on 3-year, $45 million contract.

Mark Teixeira, 35, Yankees: 1 year, $22.5 million remaining on 8-year, $180 million contract.

C.C. Sabathia, 35, Yankees: 1 year, $25 million remaining on 5-year, $122 million contract. Sabathia does have a $25 million vesting option ($5 million buyout) for 2017 that enacts if he:

1) Does not end 2016 on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury
2) Does not spend more than 45 days on the disabled list due to a left shoulder injury
3) Does not make more than six relief appearances due to a left shoulder injury

Ubaldo Jimenez, 32, Orioles: 2 years, $26.5 million remaining on 4-year, $50 million contract.

J.J. Hardy, 33, Orioles: 2 years, $26.5 million remaining on 3-year, $40 million deal. Hardy has a $14 million club option ($2 million buy out) for 2018. The option becomes guaranteed if Hardy:
-- Has 600 plate appearances in 2017 or has combined 1,150 plate appearances in 2016-2017 and passes physical at the end of the 2017 season
or
-- Is traded

zulux21

C.C. Sabathia, 35, Yankees: 1 year, $25 million remaining on 5-year, $122 million contract. Sabathia does have a $25 million vesting option ($5 million buyout) for 2017 that enacts if he:

1) Does not end 2016 on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury
2) Does not spend more than 45 days on the disabled list due to a left shoulder injury
3) Does not make more than six relief appearances due to a left shoulder injury

so if I am CC and want more money if I think my left shoulder might be hurt I have a friend take a baseball bat to my right arm and break it thus I go on the DL because of my right arm not my left.

Verlander sadly I think is going to mostly return to form this year and Andre Ethier will have a sizable chunk of his contract paid out by insurance.

also with a number of the 1 year ones left I feel John Danks deserves a spot on there as well.
1 year $15,750,000 left and less likely than Beltron to turn out a positive WAR season.

Carl crawfords not on that list but ethier is?

ethier had a pretty good year last year.. Crawford can't stay on the field and has a noodle arm

Malo

Banned
Tex probably shouldn't on that list for worst contracts. He's produced nearly 20 fWAR for us in 7 years, and was having a great season before the fluke injury that ended his season early. He was on his way to being a 3 and half war to 4 war player.

Also, it's nice to see some those big contracts so close to coming off the books. Over $50 million is coming off the books in the form of Beltran, Tex, Chapman, Nova, and they have in-house replacements (Bird, Judge). Which gives us some flexibility to do some things (Strasburg pls). Seems like it might be the best opportunity for Hal to get his wish and get under the luxury tax. The CBA is up after this season, and the 2016/2017 FA class as a whole isn't very good. It's going to be an interesting 2016/2017 for Cash and Hal.

I don't see Robbie Cano or Chris Davis.
Or Ellsbury.

zroid

Banned
The scariest thing about Kevin Pillar leading off might not even be the fact that he doesn't walk. It's that he has openly talked to the media about how walking isn't an important skill for him to have. What the fuck, Kevin?

Lexxism

The scariest thing about Kevin Pillar leading off might not even be the fact that he doesn't walk. It's that he has openly talked to the media about how walking isn't an important skill for him to have. What the fuck, Kevin?
lol what a stupid guy

Gibby should knock some sense it to him.

I feel like Pillar is a temp solution anyway.

Beckx

paid to hit, not to walk

can't win games walking

meanwhile Clint Hurdle is a fully converted sabrmetrician. i can't wait to hear the traditional guys complain about his lineup batting Jaso (best OBP guy) first and Cutch second.

Pujols' remaining contract is ugly as fuck.

that's the one that stood out to me too, like "it has HOW many years left?"

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Walking is for pussies, it's not like getting on base helps you win games.

Pujols' contract the the gift that keeps on giving. Let the Angels pay and pay for eternity.

BumRush

Anybody in here a Dbacks fan? How worried are you about Pollock? Reports keep saying he'll be fine, but he hasn't swung a bat in two weeks.

Beckx

Pacific League TV will be streaming opening day games of NPB Pacific League teams for free.

tv.pacificleague.jp/ptv/pc/

the games have start times very early in the morning east coast time but if you want to wake up early on the 25th you can. Shohei Otani has the opening day start for the Fighters.

Dodger fans, Just heard Fred Roggin saying Time Warner may drop the price to watch the games. DirecTV and other cable companies may pick up the channel.

I sure hope so. Not being able to watch Vin legally this year would be a very sad situation.

Cmon TWC, make this happen.

New Dodger Stadium concession items for 2016:

King's Hawaiian Dog

DSC_0061__1_.0.jpg

Shock Top Bratwurst

Screen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_8.07.32_PM.0.png

Smoked BBQ Wings Bundle

DSC_0063.0.jpg

Gouda Kobe Burger

Screen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_8.09.59_PM.0.png

Chicken Verde Sandwich

DSC_0065.0.jpg

Specialty Nachos Verde

Screen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_8.12.28_PM.0.png

Whoever is creating the monstrosities down in Atlanta, Georgia needs to take a trip to Chavez Ravine and shake things up.

jbug617

Banned
Red Sox trade talk
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...2XomUhzSqkiz4oIZcSMJ/story.html?event=event25
The Red Sox are one of the teams being targeted by clubs needing young outfielders, according to major league sources. Cleveland, for instance, loves Boston’s young outfielders.

The Indians have been pitching a trade, but Mookie Betts is untouchable, and it seems far-fetched that Jackie Bradley Jr. would be dealt unless the return were significant. The only “young” outfielder the Red Sox might consider dealing would be Rusney Castillo, and he’s 28 and earns $10 million a year. The Red Sox would have to eat some money.

The Angels, Orioles, White Sox, Blue Jays, Indians, and Mets are among teams looking for outfield help. One player who is going to draw interest is David Murphy, who has a March 27 opt-out with Boston. A look at the Red Sox roster indicates there’s no room for Murphy even in reserve, with Chris Young and Brock Holt holding down spots

Chris R

New Stadium Food, the most wonderful time of the year.

Can't wait to see what Anaheim and Seattle pump out since those are the two stadiums I'm hitting this year.

Top Bottom