• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

BFIB

While I see why Maddon won, name a team that loses their ace, their # 3 and 4 hitters for most of the season, their 7th and 8th bullpen arms, yet won 100 games.

Matheny should have won it.

While I see why Maddon won, name a team that loses their ace, their # 3 and 4 hitters for most of the season, their 7th and 8th bullpen arms, yet won 100 games.

Manager of the Year is a pretty dumb award, because it's voted on by people based on pre-season expectations set by those same people

I'm not sure Matheny will ever win because it's expected by everyone for the Cardinals to do well every season. He's got a .579 winning percentage and has won 20 postseason games in only four seasons! Not sure what else he could do to make a case for MotY

Maybe the Cardinals miss the postseason one year and then win the Central with 100+ games the next - that's maybe the only scenario I could see

A sub 2.9 team ERA and top-10 in position player WAR.

You guys had injuries but Maddon had a team comprised mostly of untested youth. Plus, as a pure manager, Maddon is better.

You guys had injuries but Maddon had a team comprised mostly of untested youth. Plus, as a pure manager, Maddon is better.
Right. And who would've expected those kind of results with the injuries they had? We've seen teams with high expectations crumble under the weight of a few key injuries pretty frequently. You don't often see a team persevere through them and win 100 games in a tough division.

Untested but very talented youth. Maddon did a fine job but let's not discount how good Bryant/Schwarber/Russell/etc are.

If I had to choose a manager to lead my team, I'd pick Maddon too but MoY shouldn't be a lifetime achievement award. Based on 2015, Matheny probably deserved it more. But it's not surprising that Maddon won.

I mean, guys like Tommy Phan and Stephen Piscotty were also pretty untested (except they aren't blue chip prospects!). Carlos Martinez's first season as a starter. Most potential WAR lost due to injury by far. First 100 win team since 2011. And if you want to get really intangible, the death of one of your players (not to mention top prospect).

I also don't think Maddon is better as a "pure manager," whatever that is

He won because the expectations the BBWAA had for the Cubs were low and high for the Cards. It really doesn't mean anything, considering last year's MotY was fired

BFIB

I get why Maddon won. Eventually that team was going to come together, I think most (myself included), thought it would be this season, or next season. So while the talent was there, it took Maddon to bring it all together.

But Matheny did amazing work. Even though he's "expected"to win.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If I had to choose a manager to lead my team, I'd pick Maddon too but MoY shouldn't be a lifetime achievement award. Based on 2015, Matheny probably deserved it more. But it's not surprising that Maddon won.

Bochy hasn't won one since nearly 20 years ago, if anyone should have gotten a win due to "lifetime achievement" recently it's him, but when Matt Williams won over him a year ago, you know the whole process is broken. Because of the dumb way they award it, it'll always be the way it is.

zroid

Banned
Bochy hasn't won one since nearly 20 years ago, if anyone should have gotten a win due to "lifetime achievement" recently it's him, but when Matt Williams won over him a year ago, you know the whole process is broken. Because of the dumb way they award it, it'll always be the way it is.

the only two sports I follow closely are hockey and baseball, but it's the same way in both leagues. coach/manager of the year is the biggest joke award almost every time.

the guy universally considered the best coach in the NHL has never won coach of the year because his teams have always been expected to be good, lol

jbug617

Banned
Darren O'Day asking price
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: O’Day asking for four-year deal in $28M to $36M range. Most accomplished reliever on open market.

From Jayson Stark in regards to Andrew Miller.
@jaysonst: Had one exec tell me this week he thinks Yankees "will move" Miller--for a big, Kimbrel-like package built around big-league ready starters

Malo

Banned
Jayson Stark @jaysonst: Had one exec tell me this week he thinks Yankees "will move" Miller--for a big, Kimbrel-like package built around big-league ready starters

Sounds good to me.

Edit: Damn you jbug!

zroid

Banned
gdKb1io.png

285.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Ben Nicholson-Smith
‏@bnicholsonsmith
#BlueJays say Devon Travis had screws added to left shoulder to stabilize a bone in his shoulder.

Good trade value here

jbug617

Banned
Jays, Dodgers and Yanks all talking with the Indians according to Morosi. The Indians would be getting an everyday OF from any trade and they will give up a SP.

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Braves and Astros talked mega-deal for Freddie Freeman. Column on Atlanta and how to rebuild the right way: http://yhoo.it/1H9Az8a

This is going to happen?

Here are the facts: Ken Rosenthal’s report that the Braves talked about dealing Freeman was 100 percent true. Three sources told Yahoo Sports that Freeman’s name came up in conversations with the Houston Astros as part of a mega-trade that would’ve included more than five players. It went nowhere. Neither did light chatter with other teams. Discussions about franchise-type players owed more than $100 million rarely do, and that context is vital in understanding what Atlanta is trying to do

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The Freeman-to-Astros talks died quickly, and since then Braves have vowed not to deal Freeman. Speaks to how public pressure affected them.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The Braves are stuck between a rock and hard place. They need to go full-on rebuild. Wanting to go strong into a new stadium makes it tough.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Braves and Astros talked mega-deal for Freddie Freeman. Column on Atlanta and how to rebuild the right way: http://yhoo.it/1H9Az8a

This is going to happen?

After the backlash and Coppy's recent comments, I'm leaning towards them keeping Freeman. At least during this offseason. Which is a shame, because it's silly to take a potentially franchise-altering piece off of the table just because some fans can't handle it.

Top Bottom