• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

RBH

After the backlash and Coppy's recent comments, I'm leaning towards them keeping Freeman. At least during this offseason. Which is a shame, because it's silly to take a potentially franchise-altering piece off of the table just because some fans can't handle it.

They just need to stick to a single plan instead of doing this half-and-half dance between full-on rebuilding and trying to contend and rebuild at the same time (part of the reason why the Olivera trade just baffled me). With the trade of Simmons, we might as well say fuck it and trade everyone else, including Freeman.

I'm all on board for the full tank now.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
They just need to stick to a single plan instead of doing this half-and-half dance between full-on rebuilding and trying to contend and rebuild at the same time (part of the reason why the Olivera trade just baffled me). With the trade of Simmons, we might as well say fuck it and trade everyone else, including Freeman.

I'm all on board for the full tank now.
One neat trick would be turning Freeman into 2-3 good cost-controlled players and using the payroll savings to sign Jason Heyward.

One neat trick would be turning Freeman into 2-3 good cost-controlled players and using the payroll savings to sign Jason Heyward.
You really think J-Hey is going to go to a team that traded him, is tanking, and will probably not offer him the most $$$? Unless he needs to be in Atlanta I really doubt it.

CygnusXS

You really think J-Hey is going to go to a team that traded him, is tanking, and will probably not offer him the most $$$? Unless he needs to be in Atlanta I really doubt it.
In my scenario they're offering him the most money. Not realistic, but hey. It's not impossible they sell him on being the hometown hero who leads the team to it's next championship to get over the other things.

th

Keuchel - Age 27 Season - 162 ERA+, 2.91 FIP, 7.2 WAR
Maddux - Age 27 Season - 170 ERA+, 2.85 FIP, 5.8 WAR

I said that before Sale kept getting lit up. And Arrieta is The Cy Young because of some stupid narrative which these asshole writers love.

Malvingt2

ESPN ‏@espn
Cubs join '83 White Sox as only teams to win Cy Young, ROY & Manager of the Year in same season. (via @EliasSports)

thefro

Very well deserved for Arrieta, although any of the three would have won the Cy Young in a normal year.

I do think he pitched the best in crunch time of the regular season (remember, post-season doesn't count for these awards even though Jake was great against Pittsburgh in the WC game).

Absolute horseshit.

Here's the ballots

Greinke didn't even get 1st from both LA writers.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The Freeman-to-Astros talks died quickly, and since then Braves have vowed not to deal Freeman. Speaks to how public pressure affected them.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The Braves are stuck between a rock and hard place. They need to go full-on rebuild. Wanting to go strong into a new stadium makes it tough.
Stupid fans. Should trade any player if you feel the team will be better going forward.

CygnusXS

I would loooooove to know what the deal could have been.

Good on Dallas picking up that Cy Young.

I looked into it some more and I'm wholeheartedly convinced that Singleton and Appel would have been part of the return. Braves probably would have asked for one more MiLB bat.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I looked into it some more and I'm wholeheartedly convinced that Singleton and Appel would have been part of the return. Braves probably would have asked for one more MiLB bat.

Saw you mention this on twitter. I'm curious to know where you picked it up.

If his wrist was okay I would've been fine with that deal. Appel is trash and gets shelled at every level.

CygnusXS

Saw you mention this on twitter. I'm curious to know where you picked it up.
Just reasoning based on what the Braves would look for and what the Astros would have to trade. Appel makes a ton of sense as a Braves target because he's exactly the type of big-talent-with-issues pitching prospect that they've been collecting recently. Atlanta also doesn't have any internal candidates to replace Freeman and Singleton is superfluous in Houston with AJ Reed coming up right behind him. I'd also try to push them on including Alex Bregman given that he's likely blocked in Houston and Atlanta needs depth up the middle in their minors system. Don't know if Luhnow would have gone for that.

Top Bottom