• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

BigAT

So did anything ever happen with that Cardinals/Astros hacking thing or are they still in the investigative process? I feel like that kind of went away quietly a couple of weeks after it was announced.

So did anything ever happen with that Cardinals/Astros hacking thing or are they still in the investigative process? I feel like that kind of went away quietly a couple of weeks after it was announced.

Nothing will happen until the FBI is done with their investigation

I bet nothing really happens besides a fine, though. Cardinals already fired the person responsible

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 8m8 minutes ago
Jose Fernandez #Marlins today said about rumors: "I really don't have no time to look into that stuff. It's not important to me."
Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 7m7 minutes ago
Jose Fernandez added Scott Boras will be part of his innings discussions. #Marlins
Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 6m6 minutes ago
Jose: "I don't know what all this is all about, but Scott Boras will be there because he's my agent, and I decide who is going to be ..."
Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 5m5 minutes ago
Jose: "... on my phone calls on my conference. It's that simple." #Marlins
Boras clients, man.

BFIB

Boras clients, man.

Yep, he's awesome at his job, but that's the double edge sword. Putting an innings cap on a pitcher that is feeling OK is ridiculous. But then if owners refuse to play to Boras' demands, and they don't sign his agents, its collusion.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Don't know anything about those pitchers but cool. Getting anything for maybin is a plus.

edit: Gabe looks like a good one. And I guess they see something in Ian, cost controlled and MLB ready I guess.

TraBuch

Banned
Why do the Braves always sell low? Maybin's value was higher than it's ever been at the trade deadline but they kept him and let him crater before trading him.

zroid

Banned
Some analyst was saying Jays should forget about signing another free agent pitcher and just get Chris Davis since they need a LHB.

honestly regardless of whether it's actually a good idea, I wouldn't mind it. Can you even imagine the number of dingers they'd hit? Low offensive era? Lolno.

Tigers acquire Cameron Maybin.
Gose :(

RBH

Krol (24 yo)
2015: 28 IP / 5.79 ERA / 26 SO / 1.71 WHIP
Career: 88 IP / 4.91 ERA / 76 SO / 1.58 WHIP

Speier (20 yo) (had Tommy John surgery in 2013)
2015: 44 IP / 2.86 ERA / 36 SO / 1.18 WHIP
Career: 77 IP / 2.34 ERA / 68 SO / 1.05 WHIP

The most valuable asset that the Braves received here would have to be the salary relief. They've got Maybin's contract off of the books now and they also received cash considerations. They'll be saving around $6.5 MM with this deal.

RBH

bscqzUc.png

Mallex+Smith+Atlanta+Braves+Photo+Day+cG8PBFNrakZl.jpg

Mallex Smith future!

zroid

Banned
Chavez is projected to earn about $5M in arbitration. That... seems like a lot for a 5th starter / swingman whom Toronto didn't really need since they already had cheaper players who could fill that role.

Definitely seems increasingly like they aren't going to be making any big bets in free agency

MLB Awards

Donaldson won play of the year - defence (diving into the stands to catch a foul)
Joey Bats won play of the year - offence (bat flip)

I remember that one half-season Chavez pitched for the Braves in 2010. He was straight-up awful. He was the official White Flag when he came into a game. It's crazy how much better he got.

zroid

Banned
Steamer projects him to be a 2.2 fWAR player. Last year the Jays had a single starter who had a higher fWAR than that: Price.

That's fine but the Jays carried a lot of FIP-beaters last year. It's not like 2 fWAR is that good for a starter whose performance can be measured reliably with FIP.

CygnusXS

I remember that one half-season Chavez pitched for the Braves in 2010. He was straight-up awful. He was the official White Flag when he came into a game. It's crazy how much better he got.

Didn't we get him as the return for a salary dump of Rafael Soriano?

Chavez is projected to earn about $5M in arbitration. That... seems like a lot for a 5th starter / swingman whom Toronto didn't really need since they already had cheaper players who could fill that role.

Definitely seems increasingly like they aren't going to be making any big bets in free agency

They will probably sign Chris Davis and Upton then.

CygnusXS

I feel like every day we hear about some new team that isn't going to spend big in free agency. Somebody has to pay these guys.

zroid

Banned
$5 million for 2.2 fWar is more than fair. That's a 3rd or 4th starter on good teams.

Not saying it's not fair. My point was I thought that role could have been filled internally by say Sanchez, Osuna, or maybe Hutch if they were going to get a free agent starter.

The budget may not have enough room for a $15M+ starter now.

Not saying it's not fair. My point was I thought that role could have been filled internally by say Sanchez, Osuna, or maybe Hutch if they were going to get a free agent starter.

I guess it takes some pressure off those guys?

Blah, the pitching is going to be all over the place again.

The Chavez trade doesn't make a ton of sense. He's not all that good, and isn't someone you can rely on.

Not a fifth starter on a championship calibre team, but the Jays' brass doesn't seem to care about championships as much as saving money.

Chavez wasn't very good when he pitched for the Jays before, and didn't have a very good season last year either. Hendricks wasn't great for us, either, but he wasn't horrible and seems to have more value than Chavez.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't like it. Seems like a dumb trade.

Not a fifth starter on a championship calibre team

LOL. There are definitely worse 5th starters on WS winning clubs.

The World Series Champion Kansas City Royals featured Guthrie, he of the 5.95 ERA and 1.55 WHIP and gave him 24 starts.

Oh well, the Blue Jays window had to close sometime.

Top Bottom