• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Puig involved in a fight in a nightclub

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/27/yasiel-puig-bar-brawl/
Yasiel Puig was involved in a massive brawl at a Miami bar after the Dodgers star got physical with his sister and struck several staffers ... TMZ Sports has learned.

We spoke with employees at Blue Martini in Miami, who tell us Puig was drinking with his sister Wednesday night when they got into a heated argument ... and things escalated when he pushed her.

Bar staffers immediately rushed over to break it up, but Puig turned on them ... getting physical with several staffers.

The crew was eventually able to get Puig outside where they say he brutally sucker punched the manager, setting off a brawl.

Several staffers rushed in to help ... jumping all over Yasiel until he was restrained.

We're told cops responded, but Puig was not arrested. Staffers are considering whether to press charges.

We reached out to Puig's camp, so far no word back.

UPDATE, 3:45PM PT -- TMZ Sports spoke to a rep for the City of Miami PD who tells us a report was filed which notes Yasiel Puig suffered a "swollen left eye, and bumps and bruises to the face."

The report also says a bouncer suffered "a busted lip."

Cops say they believe the incident was "mutual combat" and both sides have told them charges will not be pressed.
Granted it's TMZ, but I think I'll be leaving the Puig Defense Force for now.

Lexxism

WTFFFFF is that????????

vader.jpg

That's a real interesting move for the offseason. It seems to indicate the BJ's are out on Price. If the Cubs are also balking a mystery team or two are going to have to step up and drive up the market. I always had a feeling the Giants were going to go in on one of the big time FAs (Price, Greinke, Heyward). Maybe the D-Backs make a big money play?

zroid

Banned
So the rotation at it currently stands:

Stroman, the presumed "ace"
Dickey, the reliable innings eater
Estrada, the wild card
Happ, the former Jay who might be pretty good based on a small sample but is probably just mediocre
Chavez, the former Jay who is the very definition of mediocre

Extras:
Hutchison, the guy with stuff who can't seem to put it together
Sanchez, the kid who's probably best suited to a bullpen role
Osuna, the kid who wants to be the closer

ryan-ts

I really don't get this deal for the Jays unless they plan on signing another starting pitcher. If the Jays end up in the playoff race again the first they'll be looking for is a major upgrade to their starting rotation....

zroid

Banned
They won't sign another free agent now. Unless the budget has gone way up, it's starting to get tight.

Hopefully Revere will be traded for futures to free up a bit of salary. Unless they non-tender him but I suspect they'll try to make a deal.

zroid

Banned
I think some of you guys are overreacting a lot. Unless the offence regresses significantly, and there's not much reason to expect it will, they don't really need multiple top-end starters to compete.

The key will be shoring up the bullpen, because as everyone knows that's largely what hurt them in the first half of the season. Even looking at Price's starts in August and September, in most of those wins he got a lot of run support, so while having an "ace" was great it wasn't exactly the main reason they were successful.

Now whether the Happ contract is reasonable is another issue entirely. I guess we'll have to see.

I think some of you guys are overreacting a lot. Unless the offence regresses significantly, and there's not much reason to expect it will, they don't really need multiple top-end starters to compete.

The key will be shoring up the bullpen, because as everyone knows that's largely what hurt them in the first half of the season. Even looking at Price's starts in August and September, in most of those wins he got a lot of run support, so while having an "ace" was great it wasn't exactly the main reason they were successful.

Wins? He pitched lights out as Blue Jay let's not try and retroactively downplay his performance last year. If you are in a "win now" type of window, you absolutely need an ace at the front of your rotation. Maybe Stroman is that guy, but Price is FOR SURE that type of guy.

zroid

Banned
Wins? He pitched lights out as Blue Jay let's not try and retroactively downplay his performance last year. If you are in a "win now" type of window, you absolutely need an ace at the front of your rotation. Maybe Stroman is that guy, but Price is FOR SURE that type of guy.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here. I'm just saying that the offence was firing on all cylinders through much of the second half of the season. The biggest reason the Price acquisition was great for us is because we literally had no 5th starter. Going from a sub-replacement level pitcher to an ace is a much bigger jump than from an average starter to an ace. Even if they had gotten a mid-level starter at the deadline it probably would have been enough, since the offence was so good and every other starter in the rotation had been really good too. It wasn't all Price.

That's a real interesting move for the offseason. It seems to indicate the BJ's are out on Price. If the Cubs are also balking a mystery team or two are going to have to step up and drive up the market. I always had a feeling the Giants were going to go in on one of the big time FAs (Price, Greinke, Heyward). Maybe the D-Backs make a big money play?

Cubs are balking at the $$$ for Price?
I didn't hear that.

That's weird. Last week, after getting Chavez, I was going to make a joke about getting Happ back as well.

Guess that means the rotation is set? :(

I keep thinking the bubble is going to burst and then some power tripping GM gives a brah like J.A Happ 12 million a year. Is he even a replacement level pitcher next year?

harSon

Banned
I keep thinking the bubble is going to burst and then some power tripping GM gives a brah like J.A Happ 12 million a year. Is he even a replacement level pitcher next year?

The Pirates fixed his mechanics, like we did with Burnett, Vasquez, Melancon, Grilli, Liriano, etc. He'll continue to be good.

And fuck Huntington's cheap ass. This is going to bite us in the ass like letting go of Vasquez last season, and all because NH is deathly afraid of taking any type of monetary risk. We continue to settle season after season.

A) Why are they not moving Osuna into the rotation he's wasted as a closer and B) Where is the ace on this team? You're relying on Stroman to basically carry that pitching staff. He's a good pitcher, but he's not a guy that's gonna carry the other 4.

zroid

Banned
A) Why are they not moving Osuna into the rotation he's wasted as a closer and B) Where is the ace on this team? You're relying on Stroman to basically carry that pitching staff. He's a good pitcher, but he's not a guy that's gonna carry the other 4.

I'm pretty sure they're going to stretch him out at least. My guess is if he really impresses in ST then he gets a shot in the rotation to start the season, while Chavez does long relief.

I'm also pretty sure that Osuna isn't going to pitch enough innings to start for the whole season, so even if he's good chances are he gets moved back into the pen later on. If they're in the mix in July, maybe acquire a top-end guy at the deadline again.

Depends on a lot of factors I guess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Commisioner's office to investigate Puig under MLB's new domestic violence policy.

The news of MLB’s investigation came from a person familiar with the situation who spoke anonymously because the organization was still gathering facts pertaining to the incident. The domestic violence element stemmed from a TMZ report that bar employees got involved in the situation after Puig had a physical altercation with his sister.

However, Moss said, “No shoving was alleged. To the best of our knowledge, the only physical altercation was between the bouncer and Puig.”

Puig is the second player to be investigated under an MLB domestic violence policy implemented in August.

The league is currently looking into an alleged incident involving another former All-Star, Jose Reyes. The Colorado Rockies’ veteran shortstop was charged with domestic abuse in Hawaii this month. He has pleaded not guilty.

Top Bottom