• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

jbug617

Banned
Talks between Zimmermann and Tigers heating up.

@jonmorosi: #Tigers in discussions with Jordan Zimmermann, sources tell @ken_rosenthal and me, with multiple people saying talks have become serious.

Supposedly, the Braves and Astros were very close to a 7-player trade that would have sent Freddie Freeman to the Astros.

The Astros would have received Freeman, OF Eury Perez, and RHP Mauricio Cabrera. The Braves would have received RHP Lance McCullers, RHP Mark Appel, 1B A.J. Reed, and OF Kyle Tucker.

The deal was so assumed that Freeman's merchandise was put on clearance at the Braves' online store. The Braves abruptly backed out of the deal due to all the fan and media backlash they received from trading Andrelton Simmons to the Angels. To make matters worse, the word leaked out that they were shopping Freeman, which only increased the fan unhappiness. GM John Coppolella then publicly declared that they were not trading Freeman and that he would be the 1B on Opening Day 2016.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Supposedly, the Braves and Astros were very close to a 7-player trade that would have sent Freddie Freeman to the Astros.

The Astros would have received Freeman, OF Eury Perez, and RHP Mauricio Cabrera. The Braves would have received RHP Lance McCullers, RHP Mark Appel, 1B A.J. Reed, and OF Kyle Tucker.

The deal was so assumed that Freeman's merchandise was put on clearance at the Braves' online store. The Braves abruptly backed out of the deal due to all the fan and media backlash they received from trading Andrelton Simmons to the Angels. To make matters worse, the word leaked out that they were shopping Freeman, which only increased the fan unhappiness. GM John Coppolella then publicly declared that they were not trading Freeman and that he would be the 1B on Opening Day 2016.

Edit: hey wait, this is just a Bill Shanks fantasy trade.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Zw5inkZ.jpg

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/looking-at-10-years-of-growing-mlb-payrolls/

BFIB

I've never seen a team that always manages to shed payroll and do away with bad contracts like the Red Sox.

jbug617

Banned
Tigers sign Zimmerman. I wanted him in a Cards uni.

I guess he really wanted to play in the Midwest. I wanted him as a back up plan for the Sox if they miss out on Price.

Edit: his contract is reasonable

@jonmorosi: Sources: Jordan Zimmermann's deal with #Tigers expected to be 5 years and around $110 million. @JonHeymanCBS first reported agreement.

jbug617

Banned
Zobrist market heating up.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Zobrist market likely to become more defined in next few days. Willingness to guarantee fourth year likely will be deciding factor.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Zobrist #Mets’ No. 1 target, sources say. #Nationals also in, along with #Braves, #SFGiants, others. #Royals not expected to offer same $$$.

Braves seem to think Zobrist would be a role model for the younger players.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I just hope somebody panics and makes a crazy bid for Shelby. Come on baby, daddy needs a new third baseman!

I just hope somebody panics and makes a crazy bid for Shelby. Come on baby, daddy needs a new third baseman!
Cubs have a high rising 3B named Jeimer Candelario. He wrecked the AZ Fall League. I'm pretty sure the Cubs will be in touch.
We also have Dan Vogelbach who is Schwarber 2.0.

I like JA Happ, but the Jays overpaid for sure. It'll suck if he and Chavez, who I wish they hadn't of gotten, end up being the rotation help.

We need an ace ffs.

I like JA Happ, but the Jays overpaid for sure. It'll suck if he and Chavez, who I wish they hadn't of gotten, end up being the rotation help.

We need an ace ffs.

But I thought David Price wasn't the answer because he didn't win every playoff game by himself?

Clemens, Stieb and Jack Morris are all retired, so if you don't want Price then no one will have any answers for you.

Doogdogg

I think Cueto just didn't want to play for the dbacks. Lots of free agents seems to turn them down.

He might end up with an NL central team, Cardinals or Cubs.

List of aces available in Free Agency:
David Price

End of list.

What about Greinke?

But I thought David Price wasn't the answer because he didn't win every playoff game by himself?

Clemens, Stieb and Jack Morris are all retired, so if you don't want Price then no one will have any answers for you.

I waver on whether I want Price to re-sign or not. He's a great pitcher and we need someone like him, but yes, his playoff performances are worrying.

At the end of the day, I'd be happy if they signed he or Greinke. Price could pitch better in next year's postseason, and there were times where he just didn't get support.

I think Cueto just didn't want to play for the dbacks. Lots of free agents seems to turn them down.

He might end up with an NL central team, Cardinals or Cubs.

Absolutely zero chance Cueto plays for the Cardinals. Not after what he did to LaRue

If the Cubs signed him, though, that'd sure make the Cards-Cubs rivalry fiery

Top Bottom