• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Beckx

When will Otani get posted, that's what I really want to know.

He hasn't given an indication of his timing yet. He had an amazing 2015 but it ended on a very sour note in the playoffs. All he's said is he wants to come back to NPB in 2016 to do even more and also to DH more. You get the sense that he wants to feel he's met all his goals there first and be acknowledged as the best in Japan. He's only 21 so no hurry.

BFIB

My guess is well over 200 mil for Price. No way anyone should pay that.

On Hot Stove, it was implied that the Cubs are only looking to add around $25 mil on payroll total, whether that's true or not, who knows. I really wanted the Cards to get Zimmermann, I don't see them getting involved in Cueto (never say never though). But I really don't see them going deep on Price or Grienke.

Doogdogg

On Hot Stove, it was implied that the Cubs are only looking to add around $25 mil on payroll total, whether that's true or not, who knows. I really wanted the Cards to get Zimmermann, I don't see them getting involved in Cueto (never say never though). But I really don't see them going deep on Price or Grienke.

The Cubs have 2 5WAR starter next year, they don't need Price. They do need to add an inning eater after Arrieta and Lester.

Doogdogg

Betts is really the only starter I trust in that OF. Bradley has so many ups and downs, and Castillo is a replacement player. Get here soon, Benintendi.

I think they'll go deep on Price, especially if they can't get Heyward (Though there's room for both).

They really like Price, as far as I can tell. Probably would've traded for him in 2014 if the Rays FO didn't think exactly the same as the Cards

5/110 is less than what I thought Zimmerman would get.

His arm is shot.

@msimonespn: Jordan Zimmermann
Pitches clocked 95.0 MPH/faster

2012 236
2013 272
2014 159
2015 31

94.0/faster
2012 883
2013 987
2014 928
2015 296

The stupid part is that Dave Stewart went to the media, and was just absurdly thorough. He didn't just say, "yeah we offered 6/$120M". He started assessing Cueto's market. Any other industry and he'd never work again. It's a joke, it's the scummiest thing you could do.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
these FA prices are insane. You can't even compete any more with a 100 million dollar payroll.

I think they'll go deep on Price, especially if they can't get Heyward (Though there's room for both).

They really like Price, as far as I can tell. Probably would've traded for him in 2014 if the Rays FO didn't think exactly the same as the Cards
Has there been any indication of that (other than him being a great player most teams would want to sign)?

Paying for a big ticket pitcher in free agency is completely counter to the Cards' roster construction philosophy.

In fact, the richest free-agent pitching contract in Cardinals history was signed in December 2001 by Jason Isringhausen (four years, $27 million).

To give you an idea of how little the Cardinals have invested in free-agent pitchers, here are their six largest such contracts, according to Jeff Euston of Baseball Prospectus:

Jason Isringhausen — $27 million, 4 years (Dec. ’01)
Jake Westbrook — $16.5 million, 2 years (Nov. ’10)
Andy Benes — $16 million, 3 years (Jan. ’00)
Woody Williams — $14.9 million, 2 years (Nov. ’02)
Braden Looper — $13.5 million, 3 years (Dec. ’05)
Mark Mulder — $11.5 million, 2 years (Nov. ’07)
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...nfamiliar-territory-during-free-agency-111115

Has there been any indication of that (other than him being a great player most teams would want to sign)?

Paying for a big ticket pitcher in free agency is completely counter to the Cards' roster construction philosophy.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...nfamiliar-territory-during-free-agency-111115

They wanted to trade for him (and extend him) when he was in Tampa, but the Rays and Cards value their players pretty similarly so a deal never happened. I read a report a while back that said there are two FA-to be that the Cards view differently than others - Jason Heyward and David Price.

Signing a big free agent pitcher is definitely not something that's ever happened before. But if they want to stay competetive, theyve got to spend more. And they definitely have the money to do so.

Derrick Goold has a good article about payroll on the P-D today. Everything seems to indicate the Cardinals could add Price and Heyward if they wanted to. Not sure they will, though. I'd bet on one of the two, with Heyward being my preferance.

rando14

Why would the Yanquis even consider trading Severino unless it was for something absolutely monumental? Kid is a stud and is team-controlled until 2022.

They wanted to trade for him (and extend him) when he was in Tampa, but the Rays and Cards value their players pretty similarly so a deal never happened. I read a report a while back that said there are two FA-to be that the Cards view differently than others - Jason Heyward and David Price.

Signing a big free agent pitcher is definitely not something that's ever happened before. But if they want to stay competetive, theyve got to spend more. And they definitely have the money to do so.

Derrick Goold has a good article about payroll on the P-D today. Everything seems to indicate the Cardinals could add Price and Heyward if they wanted to. Not sure they will, though. I'd bet on one of the two, with Heyward being my preferance.
I'm hoping we sign Heyward too. Especially if missing out on him means we overpay for Price.

Replacing Cruz with Pena looks like a solid move. Yadi really needs to get more days off during the regular season.

Why would the Yanquis even consider trading Severino unless it was for something absolutely monumental? Kid is a stud and is team-controlled until 2022.

Because....I don't know.

I legitimately don't know. Yankees, if you know what's good for you, don't trade Severino.

or do, please, I want to see you guys suffer some

BFIB

I assume he would have to come clean just like mark McGwire.

McGwire didn't have to come clean, he chose to come clean and remember the past because he knew every day he was going to be dogged by the media regarding his statements.

I honestly could see Bonds walking in, head held up high just like he did with everything else.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yeah I really don't know why you'd ask for Severino when they have some bats that I'm sure they'd be more willing to move.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
There are pull hitters, and there are extreme pull hitters, and then there’s Chris Young
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-worst-opposite-field-hitter-on-record/

OqtOBZ6.png

e18NgAq.png

Top Bottom