• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Seems like the Cubs plan is to sign one of the mid range guys: Shark, Chen, Leake, etc. and then trade for a young guy. Don't really have a problem with it.

Would prefer Price but if this is our back up plan it's not bad. Hopefully this saving of money leads to an Arrieta extension.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Someone needs to update the chart:

yfRh2hH.jpg

Phillies still king of the city!

lol

Malvingt2

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick
#Redsox and #Cubs are teams that could match up with Atlanta on a Shelby Miller deal, said person familiar with #Braves thinking.

#Braves are smitten with Jorge Soler, person said. Julio Teheran likely wouldn't get it done. Could Miller spark interest from #Cubs?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
#Redsox and #Cubs are teams that could match up with Atlanta on a Shelby Miller deal, said person familiar with #Braves thinking.

#Braves are smitten with Jorge Soler, person said. Julio Teheran likely wouldn't get it done. Could Miller spark interest from #Cubs?
I'd rather not trade Julio. Would be selling low and he is signed to a very good contract. (14:$0.8, 15:$1M, 16:$3.3M, 17:$6.3M, 18:$8M, 19:$11MM, 20:$12M club option ($1M buyout))

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Its looking like Bonds is going to accept the Marlins offer to be a "co-hitting" coach.

Crawford regularly worked with Bonds in Spring Training before 2014, He went from a .674 OPS in 13 to .713 OPS in '14 and he now has a .782 in '15. And of course he worked with A-Rod this past offseason and we saw how surprisingly well he did this past season.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Price is going to end up on every team in the AL East :(

That is a crazy amount of money. Worth it till October starts every year though.

three year opt out is interesting. But that's pretty much becoming the going rater for an ace. Always thought it was funny when people thought a mediocre playoff start or two would cost him money.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
three year opt out is interesting. But that's pretty much becoming the going rater for an ace. Always thought it was funny when people thought a mediocre playoff start or two would cost him money.

Seriously though if you're the Red Sox and you're giving the guy 30+ mil for 7 years I figure you could at least get a deal without the opt out. Guess not in this market

And its his entire career thats been mediocre in the playoffs. Honestly not even mediocre, hes just been terrible.

Seriously though if you're the Red Sox and you're giving the guy 30+ mil for 7 years I figure you could at least get a deal without the opt out. Guess not in this market

And its his entire career thats been mediocre in the playoffs. Honestly not even mediocre, hes just been terrible.

The opt out coming at age 33 is what is interesting, makes it much less likely he uses it. Who knows though. Grienke just opted out at age 32 and is likely to get a monster deal. but it's sort of a catch 22 for the Red Sox. If he doesn't use it, it's likely because his production has dipped and he's not worth $30 million a year anymore, but the Sox will still be on the hook at that price for 4 more years.

As for his playoff resume, it's 8 starts out of over 200+ he's started in his career. I'm not ready to write him off. Lots of guys have been famously bad in small sample sizes in the postseason (Bonds, ARod) until they weren't. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball. I'd take my chances.

zroid

Banned
If I were Red Sox GM I would prefer he opt-out regardless of his performance to that point. Getting his best 3 years of the 7 year term at $31M is great. There'll be other, probably younger free agents to throw money at afterwards.

If I were Red Sox GM I would prefer he opt-out regardless of his performance to that point. Getting his best 3 years of the 7 year term at $31M is great. There'll be other, probably younger free agents to throw money at afterwards.

True, even if he's pitching well, age catches up to anyone and it's very unlikely he will be worth $30 million a year from ages 34-38....but that's all the more reason it's likely they will be stuck with him from ages 34-38.

Malo

Banned
So the sox didn't want to go over $130 million for Lester but give $217 million for Price. And didn't want to pay Andrew Miller last year, but gave up what they did to get Kimbrel.

Edit: Jeff Passan @JeffPassan:

The power of Dave Dombrowski: Red Sox didn't want to spend $100M+ on any free agents. He convinced ownership to spend $217M on David Price.

Top Bottom