• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

3N16MA

Banned
If he pitches like he did the last two months of the year, I.E. like he did in his rookie year, he'll make insane money. Stras is the most physically gifted pitcher in baseball he just can't stay healthy enough to harness his ridiculous stuff.

Seriously his 10 game rookie stretch is the most impressive pitching I'v ever seen in my entire life.

I'm looking at his game logs and trying to find the 10 game stretch. Impressive numbers but I'm not sure which games you're looking at.

Are you old enough to have watched Pedro and Johnson in their prime?

Pedro had 10 game stretch like this one 1.27 ERA, 15.35 K/9, 1.52 BB/9, 0.38 HR/9. Playing in Fenway during in era of offense.

I'm looking at his game logs and trying to find the 10 game stretch. Impressive numbers but I'm not sure which games you're looking at.

Are you old enough to have watched Pedro and Johnson in their prime?

Pedro had 10 game stretch like this one 1.27 ERA, 15.35 K/9, 1.52 BB/9, 0.38 HR/9. Playing in Fenway during in era of offense.

I'm not talking about pure numbers, really. I'm saying that in his rookie starts before his arm gave out, his stuff was the filthiest I'v ever seen. 80 heat, 80 curve, 80 change, 70 slider. Everything was disgustingly good.

Pedro and the Unit are up there in terms of pure unhittable stuff, but rookie Stras was something ridiculously special.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm not talking about pure numbers, really. I'm saying that in his rookie starts before his arm gave out, his stuff was the filthiest I'v ever seen. 80 heat, 80 curve, 80 change, 70 slider. Everything was disgustingly good.

Pedro and the Unit are up there in terms of pure unhittable stuff, but rookie Stras was something ridiculously special.

Makes sense. You're talking about his raw ability and natural talent. Basically what everyone refers to as stuff.

Makes sense. You're talking about his raw ability and natural talent. Basically what everyone refers to as stuff.

I mean I never said otherwise, in fact I made it a point to emphasize his ridiculous stuff in my first post. I wasn't saying he had the best stretch ever, I said to me he had the most impressive. Which he did.

*shrugs*

3N16MA

Banned
I mean I never said otherwise, in fact I made it a point to emphasize his ridiculous stuff in my first post. I wasn't saying he had the best stretch ever, I said to me he had the most impressive. Which he did.

*shrugs*

No problem, broheim. I just misread your initial post.

3N16MA

Banned
No biggy bruhj.

So who you think the Yankees target at this point? Genuinely curious as to what they actually plan to do right now.

I doubt they go for Heyward or any other big FA that is on the board. I can see them signing someone like Kazmir who is a lefty, no pick attached, should not require a long term deal. Maybe Chen, but I'm not a big fan of that move.

Cashman will continue to explore trades and make a move if he likes the return but I get the feeling they are not pushing Gardner out the door.

Looks like Hal is sticking with his plan not to spend until money starts dropping off the books. Maybe go after Strasburg next offseason when Teix and Beltran are gone.

When you have a pitcher available who lead the American League in runs allowed, hits allowed, and home runs allowed, I guess you just have to give him 90 million over 5 years

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects.../Analyses/JoseFernandezPitchingMechanics.html

You probably wanna skip right past this, Marlins fans (the whole one of them that's here :p).

Inverted L is the new Inverted W. You just need to teach a guy to reach back and throw, it's not like having safe, repeatable mechanics will suddenly preclude a guy like Fernandez from being a viable pitcher.

This guy comments on a Cardinals blog all the time. Very quick to draw connections where they might not actually exist

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I want bat flip animations.

If you want that in a US game, you'll have to go with the new Power Pros coming!

http://www.operationsports.com/news...ps4ps3vita-pro-yakyuu-spirits-ace-iosandroid/

1443288391-media.jpg

Pretty sure the US releases back in 07 and 08 had some.

rekameohs

Banned
Supposedly now the Diamondbacks are now considering sending A.J. Pollock to the Braves and have re-entered Shelby Miller talks.

Who's reporting? All the usual suspects for me are saying that Pollock is locked, and it's just that the Braves are wanting him - which I mean, who wouldn't?

3N16MA

Banned
Career numbers as a SP:

Chen - 6.97 K/9, 2.19 BB/9, 1.24 HR/9, 3.72 ERA, 4.14 FIP

Warren - 6.43 K/9, 2.96 BB/9, 0.93 HR/9, 3.98 ERA, 4.20 FIP

Chen has many more innings as a SP but I don't doubt Warren could post similar numbers if given the chance.

Yep, even scrub ass replacement level players can make over half a million dollars now.
And those scrub ass replacement level players are still in the top 1% of the general population in baseball talent.

The NBA is probably the toughest of the major 4 sports to earn a roster spot since there are so few spots. Not sure how the NFL/MLB/NHL would stack up against each other in difficulty of becoming a pro at the highest level of competition.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It was Olney that reported the D-Backs/Braves revisited again.
This is all onley has said:
Have you heard enough Shelby Miller trade rumors to last you until, like, 2087? Well, get ready for four more days' worth because, despite those protestations in Atlanta that the Braves aren't really looking to trade this man, other teams report they'd hit that EJECT button in a millisecond if they were offered the right young, controllable bat in return.

But the kind of names they're said to have asked for -- Joc Pederson, A.J. Pollock, Jorge Soler, etc. -- tells you all you need to know about the Braves' definition of the "right" bat. They're not looking for prospects in the Florida State League or guys who have a chance to hit. They want high-ceiling thumpers who are ready to mash right now. But even for a pitcher with big upside and three years of control, that asking price "is really steep," said an exec of one team that spoke with them.

"They haven't given us any indication they're going to move him unless they're blown away," said another exec. "They're not just looking for bats. They're looking for major-league-ready bats. Maybe somebody will give them one eventually. But we don't have extra players like that to give away. Not many teams do."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page...meetings-starting-pitcher-market-zack-greinke
Diamondbacks have pushed on Shelby Miller in talks with Braves; ATL seemingly focused on OFers, especially Pollock, possible expanded deal.
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/673236334585192449?s=09
Just speculation: If Arizona was willing to talk about trading Pollock, it would be a fit for Miller/ATL, also NYM and 1 of their starters.
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/673242112008298496?s=09

Branduil

And those scrub ass replacement level players are still in the top 1% of the general population in baseball talent.

The NBA is probably the toughest of the major 4 sports to earn a roster spot since there are so few spots. Not sure how the NFL/MLB/NHL would stack up against each other in difficulty of becoming a pro at the highest level of competition.

Well, if you're left-handed you already have an advantage in trying to become a baseball player. Even better if you're ambidextrous.

jakncoke

Banned
Why would anybody ever try to play other sports professionally?

Yeah but how many people drafted never even made it to AAA level. I would curious to see the fail rate of nfl and mlb. Both seem pretty difficult to get to and also stay. If i remember the average career of a nfl player is something like 4.5 years or something, does anyone have the numbers on mlb once they made it to the big leagues?

Top Bottom