• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

jbug617

Banned
Rangers and Mariners talking to the Red Sox about SP. Rangers want Joe Kelly but seems like the Sox want to keep him. M's talks about Buchholz or Miley.

Mad Dog ripping the Cards for not doing what it takes to resign Lackey.

I kind of agree. :(
Yep, that contract he signed looks like a bargain compared to the money bandied about now for second-tier (or worse) pitching options. Unless the Cards somehow splurge for Cueto, it looks like low-hanging fruit and in-house options to fill that #5 spot.

That pitching depth has eroded in a hurry in the past 12 months.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

But how much do you agree with this guy:

CVpSfJMU8AAdPXV.jpg

I dunno, we got a draft pick out of it

People have been saying it's a good deal, but I'm not so sure $32m and a first rounder for a 37yo pitcher a few years removed from TJ is that good of a deal

BFIB

I dunno, we got a draft pick out of it

People have been saying it's a good deal, but I'm not so sure $32m and a first rounder for a 37yo pitcher a few years removed from TJ is that good of a deal

His peripherals are solid though. They always have been, and his mechanics worked great in Busch.

Looking at the other deals going around, its going to be a high price. Does Leake give you any better value than what Lackey would have? Sounds like the Cards went all in on Price, and their backup plans moved very quickly before they could gain any traction.

BFIB

One thing is clear, you cannot have enough pitching. Look at how fast the Cards depleted what was considered, the deepest in the game regarding pitching arms.

If I'm Boston, I'd hold tight. Who knows how many pitchers will get injured in spring training.

I'd target Buchholz if I'm the Mariners, can be had probably pretty cheap and if his body holds up you get a top ten pitcher in a pitchers park.

His peripherals are solid though. They always have been, and his mechanics worked great in Busch.

Looking at the other deals going around, its going to be a high price. Does Leake give you any better value than what Lackey would have? Sounds like the Cards went all in on Price, and their backup plans moved very quickly before they could gain any traction.

He'll turn 39 at the end of his contract, though. He had a career year with us and I'm just not sure he'll be worth it again

Probably no FA is worth it other than Price, tbh (Mo seems to be thinking that now too) I like Buehrle solely as an innings eater, even if he's worse than Cooney, Lyons, or Marco

Cost is just too high unless you're going high end. Not sure any pitcher other than Price is appreciably better than our current situation

BFIB

He'll turn 39 at the end of his contract, though. He had a career year with us and I'm just not sure he'll be worth it again

Probably no FA is worth it other than Price, tbh (Mo seems to be thinking that now too) I like Buehrle solely as an innings eater, even if he's worse than Cooney, Lyons, or Marco

Cost is just too high unless you're going high end. Not sure any pitcher other than Price is appreciably better than our current situation

Its why I think the Cards plan A was Price. Plan B is load up the offense, and see if a trade opportunity opens up for a pitcher. I fully expect the Cards to sign either Heyward, or Upton by the end of the meetings.

Doogdogg

probably prospects

Would be an odd move. The Red Sox don't trade for prospects, they trade theirs instead.

Dombrowski still want a young starter to lead this team, he better hang onto Espinoza. The cost for a young starter would decimate the system in any trade.

"Trade of Wade Miley to the Mariners is officially done." - @Buster_ESPN.

"Miley and aro to mariners for carson smith and roenis Elias agreed to" - @JonHeymanCBS

Who?

Doogdogg

"Trade of Wade Miley to the Mariners is officially done." - @Buster_ESPN.

"Miley and aro to mariners for carson smith and roenis Elias agreed to" - @JonHeymanCBS

Who?

Smith is a reliever who got strikeout stuff. Seems good. Elias is carbon copy of Miley stats. Meh.

3N16MA

Banned
Wade Miley? Eh.

Carson Smith's gone?! FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I am full of despair

2012-2015:

Samardzija - 8.31 K/9, 2.47 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9, 4.03 ERA, 3.69 FIP, 12.2 fWAR (205 IP per season)

Miley - 7.05 K/9, 2.75 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, 3.92 ERA, 3.73 FIP, 10.0 fWAR (198 IP per season)

Samardzija is 2 years older.

jbug617

Banned
2012-2015:

Samardzija - 8.31 K/9, 2.47 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9, 4.03 ERA, 3.69 FIP, 12.2 fWAR (205 IP per season)

Miley - 7.05 K/9, 2.75 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, 3.92 ERA, 3.73 FIP, 10.0 fWAR (198 IP per season)

Samardzija is 2 years older.

Miley contract is really cheap. $6m in 2016 and $9m in 2017. There is an option for 3rd yr for $12m.

This is just a start. After next season, we won't see either Bautista or EE on this team. Or worst, we won't even see them back after next season.

You're likely right and it makes me angry.

I'll still support the team, but it sucks as a fan. I'm not going to make the trek into Toronto and spend money on more losing culture. Maybe one game, but if they're going to run it into the ground they don't deserve sellouts.

Top Bottom