• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malo

Banned
Jeff Passan @Jeff Passan

Alleged domestic incident at Aroldis Chapman's home could scuttle a trade to the Dodgers, sources tell Yahoo Sports:

I mean forget being traded, the guy might legitimately end up being deported.

I understand he's fairly well off and has the rich guy legal system, but you kinda can't ignore an incident like this.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't usually post in off-season threads, but it would be so "Mets" if the only move they make is signing a 35-year old second baseman to a 4/$60 contract. That's gonna be Jason Bay levels of stupid.

Back to being terrible in record time.

Beckx

"look, all we have to do is finish the trade and hope no one finds out...I mean, it's been a month already..."

"um. I have some bad news."

jman2050

Um I'm not really well versed in the CBA but if the Reds knew about this and kept it under wraps while attempting to trade him doesn't that count as negotiating in bad faith?

jbug617

Banned
Looking back at the Red Sox were linked with Chapman for a long time then all of sudden the Red Sox traded for Kimbrel. Wonder if they found out and went the other way.

zulux21

Jeff Passan
‏@JeffPassan

Alleged incident at Aroldis Chapman's home included eight gunshots, "choking" of girlfriend. News with @TBrownYahoo: http://yhoo.it/1OQHxic

so unless something drastically changes the most he can get charged with is firing a gun if that is not allowed there.

with no credible witness
no signs of injury
and many different stories

there is no way an assault or battery charge would happen, especially since by the woman's own story he never actually choked her as she said herself that he never stopped her from breathing (nor were there any signs of force used on her neck), thus even if his hands were near her throat that is merely a threaten to choke and not an actual choke.

either way you shouldn't invite your girlfriend you broke up with a month ago and your 4 month child to a party in general o_O

chapman is scum

for what? getting in an argument with another person and not harming them physically at all while he was potentially tackled by that other person's brother?
worst he is guilty of with the fight is verbal/mental abuse. The police reports clearly state there weren't any injuries to be noted at all.

people have arguments all of the time, and exes in general tend to paint the other in a bad picture if you broke up on bad terms.

I mean he might really be scum in general, but with a he said she said case and no evidence to back up anything besides that he fired a gun in his own garage while he was alone, it seems silly to condemn him to scum status without more proof.

‏@JonHeymanCBS 15m15 minutes ago
Marlins asked dbacks for 2 of best players plus top prospects for Jose fernandez. Dbacks said to be "out" now.

Even Dave Stewart isn't dumb enough to do that. Marlins are just trolling at this point.

zulux21

Look up the legal definition of assault.

*looks it up*

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.
An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

ah so that is the difference between assault and battery :p people misuse the word assault so much then lol. (thus I will admit i didn't fully have the definition of assault correct but...)

either way there is zero chance assault gets filed either. it's he said she said with no bodily harm, you can't press charges without any evidence and expect them to stick, it's likely why assault wasn't even listed in the original charges (they only mentioned battery from what i remember) I'm just used to assault being used as physical abuse, but I suppose that is battery.

but yeah unless he has home videos of stuff this will be completely thrown out without a doubt. no good lawyer will take a case where there is no evidence of the charges, and no lawyer that chapman can afford would ever lose a case like that.

I'm more curious if it is legal to fire your gun off in your garage where he is as that is the thing that could actually stick since there is proof of that.

I also want to go on record stating I have no feelings towards chapman at all (about all I know is he throws fast lol), he isn't on my team or anything, it just bothers me when people just read headlines and don't read the facts and start calling someone scum because some other person wrote a headline to make them sound like scum even if they aren't guilty of anything at all currently :/ (except for using his gun as a way to calm down which is just odd :p)

jbug617

Banned
Possible Chapman got hurt during the incident.
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: At least one team that spoke with #Reds believes that Chapman might have injured a hand in alleged domestic-violence incident.

Malo

Banned
Gordon Wittenmyer
Gordon Wittenmyer – ‏@GDubCub

Source: Cubs close to deal for Shelby Miller. Braves would get Baez (after talks shifted from Soler).

Edit: Bob Nightengale @Bob Nightengale

The #Cubs say no deal!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Gordon Wittenmyer
Gordon Wittenmyer – ‏@GDubCub

Source: Cubs close to deal for Shelby Miller. Braves would get Baez (after talks shifted from Soler).

Edit: Bob Nightengale @Bob Nightengale

The #Cubs say no deal!

sad trombone sound

Top Bottom