• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

So Cosmic you guaranteeing at least 14 wins for Grienke next season?

Predicting wins? C'mon man.

Dude's entering his age 32 season, coming off an outlier performance year. He also got lucky last year, .229 BABIP and is going to a slightly less pitcher friendly park.

But even if he comes down to Earth a bunch, he's still a top 10 pitcher with a lineup featuring Goldy and Pollock behind him.

No reason at all he shouldn't continue to have success in Arizona. He won't be worth the contract, but hey good for him.

jbug617

Banned
More Fernandez talk.

At least a dozen teams have checked w/ #Marlins on Jose Fernandez. #Dodgers appear best fit if they part w/ Urias, Seager & more
The #Yankees were willing to deal Severino in package w/ #Marlins for Jose. Belief NY doesn't have enough, even if included Bird.
Why realistic market for Jose is limited is fact #Marlins right now seek MLB-ready starter in return. #Dodgers #Yankees have that.

CVuGrgvUEAAB9Rd.png

Omg lol, looks terrible

Grienke always looks like he just murdered a prostitute in a truck stop bathroom.

BFIB

It's so bizarre to not have the Yankees all over the place on these meetings, especially with how the Mets did last year.

I almost miss flipping my shit at their asinine trades and yanking away all the top FA.

Doogdogg

It's so bizarre to not have the Yankees all over the place on these meetings, especially with how the Mets did last year.

I almost miss flipping my shit at their asinine trades and yanking away all the top FA.

The Yankees either does splash in bunches, or they do it stealthily like when they swoop up Teixeira. Not a blip on the radar when it happen.

The Yankees refreshes every 3 season, they'll be over Harper once contracts for McCan, Beltran, Arod are up.

Usually, the Yankees go bonkers with free agents after a year when they don't make the playoffs. They missed in 2008, then signed Mark Teixiera, C.C. Sabathia, and A.J. Burnett after.

They missed in 2013, then signed Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, and Carlos Beltran.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Severino, Judge, Nova, Mateo/Betances for Fernandez. Fuck it. Yankees can do a trade that would be worth it for MIA if they really wanted to...

Ehh... take Severino out of that list and add anybody/everybody else and I'll take that trade. Too bad our GM is too busy rock climbing.

Malo

Banned
Usually, the Yankees go bonkers with free agents after a year when they don't make the playoffs. They missed in 2008, then signed Mark Teixiera, C.C. Sabathia, and A.J. Burnett after.

They missed in 2013, then signed Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, and Carlos Beltran.
More like they do it when a lot of money comes off the books like each of those years.

I don't understand the idea of selling the farm for three years of Jose Fernandez. His elbow and shoulder are an anatomical IED.

I think chances are pretty good he'll be fine through the remaining 3 years of team control. It's the big contract someone will give him after that in which he's most likely to need TJ again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://natsinsider.com/2015/12/08/highlights-from-dusty-bakers-media-session/

What specifically have you told the front office you’d like that you don’t have yet?

“You’re always in need of left-handed pitching, left-handed hitting, and in need of speed. I think that’s the No. 1 thing that’s missing, I think, in the game is speed. You know, with the need for minorities, you can help yourself. You’ve got a better chance of getting some speed with Latin and African-Americans. I’m not being racist. That’s just how it is.”

I think chances are pretty good he'll be fine through the remaining 3 years of team control. It's the big contract someone will give him after that in which he's most likely to need TJ again.

But if you are getting rid of top prospects you are trading multiple players with 6 years of team control value for 3 years of one player coming off TJ. Fernandez is amazing when he's on, but it's still a pretty big risk.

So Dusty Baker defends Aroldis Chapman and then says subtle racist shit all in the same day. Looking forward to his tenure as manager!

But if you are getting rid of top prospects you are trading multiple players with 6 years of team control value for 3 years of one player coming off TJ. Fernandez is amazing when he's on, but it's still a pretty big risk.

Prospects are prospects. 6 years of team control could mean absolutely nothing if they don't stick

BFIB

It is going to be fun having Dusty in the same clubhouse with Papelbon. He is going to eat Dusty alive.

Prospects are prospects. 6 years of team control could mean absolutely nothing if they don't stick

Depends on the prospects. WIth the Dodgers, for example, Seager is already ML ready and Urias is supposedly close. Granted nothing is guaranteed, but neither is the health of a hard throwing pitcher who just had elbow surgery.

Beckx

How are some of you coming by this murder at a truck stop expertise to respond "that's so right!" hmm?

anyway, 2015 is going down as the year people decided "fuck it, I'm just going to say this shit out loud and see what happens".

Depends on the prospects. WIth the Dodgers, for example, Seager is already ML ready and Urias is supposedly close. Granted nothing is guaranteed, but neither is the health of a hard throwing pitcher who just had elbow surgery.

The health concerns are the main issue for me (and why I wouldn't do it), but Fernandez is better than Urias will ever be (like 99 percentile outcome for him)

I'd be hesitant to call Seager ML ready off of a small sample size, too

How are some of you coming by this murder at a truck stop expertise to respond "that's so right!" hmm?

anyway, 2015 is going down as the year people decided "fuck it, I'm just going to say this shit out loud and see what happens".

I mean Dusty has always been the guy to say stupid shit out loud and pull the fuck it your a racist if you call me out on it card.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Seems like there have been more "deal is done!" "Wait no it isn't" "we lied there was never a deal" reports this year than ever before.

Definitely agree. He's a risk worth taking, it just depends on what it costs to get him.

Beckx

Pirates are looking at Dae Ho Lee. Cheaper option than Alvarez at 1B. He doesn't play much defense in NPB but realistically he can't really be worse at that than Alvarez.

Potentially a good stop gap til Bell is ready.

RBH

http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/2015/12/08/braves-hart-coppolella-say-they-feel-your-pain/

“Fans love to see a guy come through your system and you guys are writing about him, and all of a sudden he comes through the door at Turner Field or SunTrust Field, that guy walks out on the field and they’re vested in that guy. But those guys who become really good players give us the ability to go out and pick and choose what you want on the market.

“For us to do it we have to have that first piece in place first. That’s the young players, the foundation. And then we can begin to go play when it’s what takes us over the hump. It’s that simple.

San+Diego+Padres+v+Atlanta+Braves+LqlhZKTVUc0l.jpg

Top Bottom