• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

rando14

Can Dipoto get on the phone with the DBacks? I'd like to see if we can trade Montero for Pollock, Goldschmidt, and a ptbnl

RBH

zKy3W54.png

v35B680.gif

rando14

Jonah Keri ‏@jonahkeri
Braves traded 1 year of Heyward for 1 year of Shelby Miller, 6 yrs of Tyrell Jenkins/Aaron Blair/#1 overall pick Swanson, 5 yrs of Inciarte.

Unbelievable

Barves so lucky!!

EDIT:

Steve Gilbert ‏@SteveGilbertMLB
#Dbacks also receiving LHP Gabe Speier in the Miller deal.

rando14

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
Sounds like no progress was made in #orioles talks with Boras regarding Chris Davis. Its believed Os offer in neighborhood of $150 mil.

$150+ mil for Chris Davis?!?

yzY8qM8.gif

harSon

Banned
don't like castro deal

I would have loved the Pirates to make that move. You have him under team control from age 25-29, and for $9.5/year? You didn't give up much either. He was a head case in the past, but he seems to have matured a bit.

Malo

Banned
I would have loved the Pirates to make that move. You have him under team control from age 25-29, and for $9.5/year? You didn't give up much either. He was a head case in the past, but he seems to have matured a bit.
Dude has been terrible two of the last 3 seasons.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Spier? meh. Most likely turn into a RP. Came over in the Maybin trade with DET. Thanks again Padres!

Windu

BP on speier when traded to ATL.

While it would be difficult to dub an A-ball reliever the headline piece of the trade package for Cameron Maybin, there is a case to be made that Speier is just that given the underwhelming results and projection of Ian Krol at the big league level. Speier lacks flash but has an obvious Major League projection as a possible seventh-inning arm. With an above-average fastball that sits 92-93 mph and has reached as high as 94-95 on occasion, Speier can elevate his four-seam fastball and get it past hitters with ease. His two-seam fastball sits in the 88-91 mph range with good sink and an ability to induce weak contact. Backing up his two fastballs, Speier flashes an above-average breaking ball with tight rotation and hard 1-7 break, and a changeup that remains a work in progress. The breaking ball lacks consistency and Speier must learn to work the pitch lower in the zone for more frequent success. Speier generally throws strikes and has enough athleticism and simplicity of movement to suggest command could follow in the footsteps of his solid control. All told, Speier’s gifts don’t jump off the page but they add up to enough to project him as a viable big league reliever. —Mark Anderson

If the Braves hit on just 50% of these prospects they've gotten in the last year, they are going to rule for a while.

Especially with all the implications that Hart and Coppolella have been giving lately about how they are going to start spending way more money in 2017.

Now, time to watch all my casual Braves fans on Facebook bitch about trading Miller.

Windu

If the Braves hit on just 50% of these prospects they've gotten in the last year, they are going to rule for a while.

Especially with all the implications that Hart and Coppolella have been giving lately about how they are going to start spending way more money in 2017.

Now, time to watch all my casual Braves fans on Facebook bitch about trading Miller.
Not to mention the high draft picks coming and the rumors that the braves going to go crazy in the international market this year. (and the hand shake agreement with the next Miguel Cabrera). Should be fun.

3N16MA

Banned
Ref's future is pretty bleak on the Yanks at this point. He has nowhere to go but the bench. Yanks probably try to package him in a deal at some point.

Josh5890

I'm fine with the Cubs paying Zobrist if he helps get us to the promise land in the next couple years. He has a nice OBS. Hopefully the dude stays healthy.

As for Castro, I hope it is just part of a bigger plan and they were looking to free up some payroll for Heyward, Cueto or something else. Warren seems decent and Bosio knows how to get the best out of the pitchers so maybe it will work out. I just don't like the trade straight up Castro for Warren

Malo

Banned
Clark Spencer@ ClarkSpencer

Hearing that #Marlins had deal working with D-Backs: Jose Fernandez for Corbin, Swanson and 3 others -- until Zona landed Shelby Miller.

WAT

Windu

Here is Kiley McDaniel back in 2014 writing about Aaron Blair. (Kiley now works for the braves).
Aaron Blair, RHP
Current Level/Age: AA/22.2, 6’5/230, R/R
Drafted: 36th overall (sandwich round) in 2013 out of Marshall by ARZ for $1.435 million bonus
Fastball: 50/55, Curveball: 45/50+, Changeup: 50/55, Command: 45/50

Scouting Report: Blair has slowly improved since being drafted last June that some in the organization have him as the #1 prospect in the system. He isn’t as flashy as Bradley and Shipley, but Blair has three pitches that all have been plus at times for scouts and are all regularly above average. One scout compared Blair’s ability to get heavy life on pitches to Roy Halladay, in part due to how big Blair’s hands are.

Another scout compared him as an overall pitcher to John Lackey and Lance Lynn, as a big and unspectacular but steady #3/4 starter that outperforms many more heralded talents. As noted in Bradley’s report, some think Blair may jump past the incredibly talented Bradley to settle in a big league rotation spot first amongst this top group of three Arizona prospects.

Blair sits 90-94 and has been up to 96 mph this year, with scouts noting the arm speed got a notch better this season, helping all of his stuff play up. He’s a control over command guy that throws a lot of strikes and the heavy life on his fastball helps induce weak contact rather than an excessive amount of strikeouts. Blair’s curveball was the concern as an amateur and early in his pro career, but now consistently shows average with some grading it as high as plus at times. His changeup has been his go-to off-speed pitch for years at is also consistently above average.

Summation: As you can see in the projected path, I think Blair starts the year in AA, gets a taste of the big leagues and sticks. He’s the kind of guy that these sorts of lists consistently underrate and then he never gets re-ranked when he proves us wrong as a big league asset. Consider this an advance apology for ranking him 3rd. Sorry, Aaron, but you need people like me that don’t learn from history and tell you that you aren’t good enough.

FV/Role/Risk: 55, #3/4 starter, Low (2 on 1-5 scale)
Projected Path: 2015: AA/AAA/MLB, 2016: MLB
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/

rekameohs

Banned
clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 39s39 seconds ago
Hearing that #Marlins had deal working with D-Backs: Jose Fernandez for Corbin, Swanson and 3 others -- until Zona landed Shelby Miller.

the fuck

Top Bottom