• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

clemenx

Banned
Lmao Dbacks. I appreciate this. Not all teams should be rebuilding and tanking at the same time.

Hlpw they don't crash and burn like the Padres last year lol.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
fangraphs (instagraphs)
The Braves have reportedly sent Shelby Miller to the Diamondbacks for 25-year-old outfielder Ender Inciarte, 23-year-old right-hander Aaron Blair, and last year’s number one overall pick, 21-year-old shortstop Dansby Swanson. The Diamondbacks get a good pitcher under control for three years, and the Braves continue their rebuilding process.

The return seems very strong for the Braves. Inciarte can play a capable center field, where his league average (ish) bat will play a lot better. He’ll step in immediately.

Swanson hit the ground running in A-ball, with a .193 ISO and as many strikeouts as walks. Before taking a job with the Braves, Kiley McDaniel put the shortstop in his top 25 prospects in the mid-season update, and there’s a sense that the Vanderbilt product could advance quickly. McDaniel said he was a “standout defensive shortstop” with an “advanced bat” before the draft.

McDaniel gave Blair a 55 grade before the season and said that “though the righty isn’t as flashy as the prospects ahead of him, there’s a sense among some that he might be the D-Backs’ best prospect right now. He may have the chance to show that this year, as a strong performance could put him in the majors earlier than expected.” Blair doesn’t have a lot of strikeouts in his game, but grounders and weak contact may make him a serviceable mid-rotation starter.

All in all, that’s a good return for a veteran mid-rotation starter. Shelby Miller may have pitched like an ace last year, and the Braves may have followed the road map to fixing him to the tee. Throwing more high fastballs and cutters and ditching the change has led to his return to grace, but 2014’s poor season provides a taste of sobriety and a reason for a projection that looks more like an average pitcher.

Still, the Diamondbacks are all in after signing Zack Greinke to a monster deal. Now with Miller in the fold, they have a strong rotation, featuring Greinke, Miller, Patrick Corbin, and a host of options at the back end. They said all along they didn’t want a long rebuild process, and they put their prospects to use quickly. And for the Braves, at least the guys they got could move quickly, and the wait to see how they did might not take that long either.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/braves-get-haul-from-diamondbacks-for-shelby-miller/

I just...

HE WAS THE #1 OVERALL PICK LITERALLY 5 MONTHS AGO.

I'm just stunned. La Russa the GM is the best. Wonder if the Mets can turn Matt Harvey into Bradley and Pollock.

I like to think Kiley had a big hand in getting Swanson.

Well, since I'm not well versed on the players coming back from the D-Backs, if a lot of people are happy with the trade, I'm happy with the trade. Nice to see the Braves getting some MLB-ready talent, if nothing else.

What does this mean for Mallex Smith though? A little more time in the minors? Platooning with Inciarte? Move Inciarte to LF and Olivera back to 3rd?

BFIB

No way anyone can match what Fernandez is going to demand now.

If we had a healthy Lynn and Mo had a brain and signed Lackey, I wonder what Carlos Martinez would fetch.

Windu

Well, since I'm not well versed on the players coming back from the D-Backs, if a lot of people are happy with the trade, I'm happy with the trade. Nice to see the Braves getting some MLB-ready talent, if nothing else.

What does this mean for Mallex Smith though? A little more time in the minors? Platooning with Inciarte? Move Inciarte to LF and Olivera back to 3rd?
Inciarte is a GG caliber fielder so he would play CF. I'd guess olivera at 3b or someone is getting traded.

rekameohs

Banned
Well if you're all in now Ken, you're all in. Just throw in everything. Sell that Honus Wagner card. Sign Cueto. Sign Leake. Get that Brandon Phillips for Hill trade going again. Ship off what remains of the farm for Jonathan Lucroy and Andrew Miller. Sacrifice Tomas to the heathen gods.

IF THIS IS HOW IT ALL ENDS, GIVE THEM A SHOW

TraBuch

Banned
If this is the going rate for a pretty good pitcher on a team-friendly deal, I'm all for trading Teheran. The Braves won't get as much for him, but I imagine they'd still get a pretty nice haul.

No way anyone can match what Fernandez is going to demand now.

If we had a healthy Lynn and Mo had a brain and signed Lackey, I wonder what Carlos Martinez would fetch.

CMart would probably be like Fernandez, I think. Would require too much.

I'd be more interested in what Lynn would have gotten. I imagine quite a bit.

Windu

Keith Law: "Can't wait to see who the Diamondbacks pick for the Braves in the 2016 draft"

Inciarte is a GG caliber fielder so he would play CF. I'd guess olivera at 3b or someone is getting traded.

Ender is a great "right now player" get. Top flight defensive OF with a good enough bat, should still be in his prime when the Braves are fully rebuilt. Aaron Blair is a top-30 prospect in all of baseball, getting him alone for a guy you got for a year of Jason Heyward would be a coup, but getting him AND Dansby Swanson? The consensus #1 pick last draft and a top flight SS prospect in a league where the position is dying offensively?

Yeah no, Braves won this one GOING AWAY.

Keith Law: "Can't wait to see who the Diamondbacks pick for the Braves in the 2016 draft"

BAH GAWD THAT MAN HAD A FAMILY

Windu

If this is the going rate for a pretty good pitcher on a team-friendly deal, I'm all for trading Teheran. The Braves won't get as much for him, but I imagine they'd still get a pretty nice haul.
I wouldn't sell low on him. And he has a good extension.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'd suggest holding onto Teheran for now, unless the Astros come at them with Bregman and Kyle Tucker or something.

Windu

The Hector Olivera trade is still complete shit.
I still think it was a fair deal to be honest. Peraza I think will end up as a utility player and wood while good not as good as when he came up and that delivery is scary. Then there is Paco Rodriguez who could be a setup man if TJ goes well. And of course the draft pick. Last draft pick we traded for got us Austin Riley who is tearing it up. And Olivera could be a huge bargain with that contract, I'll trust the braves scouts on him.

TraBuch

Banned
I still think it was a fair deal to be honest. Peraza I think will end up as a utility player and wood while good not as good as when he came up and that delivery is scary. Then there is Paco Rodriguez who could be a setup man if TJ goes well. And of course the draft pick. Last draft pick we traded for got us Austin Riley who is tearing it up. And Olivera good be a huge bargain, I'll trust the braves scouts on him.

I hope the Braves scouts are right on Olivera, but he does absolutely nothing for me. Dude's already physically past his prime and the Braves don't even have a position for him. He's not good enough defensively to stick at third, and now there's no room for him in the OF. Something's gotta give.

He also played like shit in the AFL.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I still think it was a fair deal to be honest. Peraza I think will end up as a utility player and wood while good not as good as when he came up and that delivery is scary. Then there is Paco Rodriguez who could be a setup man if TJ goes well. And of course the draft pick. Last draft pick we traded for got us Austin Riley who is tearing it up. And Olivera could be a huge bargain with that contract, I'll trust the braves scouts on him.

Don't forget Zach Bird.

Windu

I hope the Braves scouts are right on Olivera, but he does absolutely nothing for me. Dude's already physically past his prime and the Braves don't even have a position for him. He's not good enough defensively to stick at third, and now there's no room for him in the OF. Something's gotta give.

He also played like shit in the AFL.
he hadn't played in Cuba for like a year or so, came to a new culture, multiple teams and issues with family's health. I'm going to give him a pass on 2015. I think he'll improve.

Don't forget Zach Bird.
ah yeah. Too many people in that trade.

Diamondbacks just fucked up the market for any team trying to trade for a young SP this offseason.

LIS, Mets need to be on every line to every team in regards to Matt Harvey. We fucked up by not shoring up depth quickly enough in the offseason so far and we don't have the pieces to sell for a bat that can carry the team anymore (thanks, Cespedes!) so we need to leverage whatever assets we have.

Because it's clear as day at this point that we cannot spend money to compete at a reasonable level.

Malo

Banned
I see 28 YO who had a 3 ERA in the AL East. Bosio works wonders man.
He had a 6.3 K/9 and a 3.92 FIP in 96 innings as a starter. He's a backend starter right now and a really good bp piece.

I really like Warren but the yankees never really gave him a chance.

Josh5890

I'm fairly certain the Yanks got an AS 2B and the Cubs got Arrieta 2.0. Castro will make you curse the TV at times, but when he is on he can carry an offense. He also has a great arm at 2B.

Don't tease me. I just hope the Cubs put Warren in either the rotation or bullpen and let him play.

Top Bottom