• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malo

Banned
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
peraza shepler dixon go to reds

montas micah johnson and trayce thompson go to dodgers

Ron Darling would be singing a different tune if Heyward became a Met.

Nothing would've made me happier than to watch the Dodgers bounce the Mets out of the playoffs. Hearing Ron weep on air as they packed their bags would be music to my ears. Unfortunately, life is cruel.

tiniest_violin.gif

Friedman is stocking up on prospects that aren't his to make a push for Fernandez. Book it.

John Manuel disagrees.

John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba
White Sox's reinvented infield, with Lawrie & Frazier, should be serious upgrade on recent models. Sold high on Thompson, nicely done

Montas is the real headliner anyway. Dude has a monster fastball just needs to learn to harness it.

Malo

Banned
The Dodgers really had no business making this a three team deal at all. This just screams "I'm stocking up on pieces to make a splash move".
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
The #Reds didn't like the #WhiteSox prospects enough to get Frazier deal done alone, so needed #Dodgers involved.

reds love peraza. he was part of the chapman deal that was called off.

Malo

Banned
Bruh come on Nightengale?

Peraza is a nice enough piece, but Montas+Thompson is a good deal better, imo.
I know but Heyman corroborates what Nightengale said. The reds really like Peraza because, like you said, what the dodgers got back is the better deal.

Almost enough pieces for a Fernandez trade.....
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The Marlins have sought volume in their Jose Fernandez trade talks. Few teams in baseball have as much prospect volume now as the Dodgers.

jbug617

Banned
Bowden shitting on the deal for the Reds.

Executives and scouts from both the Braves and Dodgers have told me they view Peraza as a utility player at best. Low return for #Reds here

Frankie Montas best prospect moved in three way deal.and Dodgers get him not Reds? Has to be more to this deal…doesn’t make sense on surface

I get it now: #WhiteSox got what #Dodgers should have; #Dodgers got what #Reds should have; #WhiteSox win now; #Dodgers later; #Reds Don't

Malo

Banned
Marlins want bulk, not necessarily overwhelming talent. Remember, Loria doesn't want to have to pay even decent Arb value for these guys.
They want bulk and high end talent. They were asking the Dbacks for Patrick Corbin and a couple of other guys (can't remeber who exactly) in addition to what they gave up to the Braves for Shelby Miller.

jbug617

Banned
They want bulk and high end talent. They were asking the Dbacks for Patrick Corbin and a couple of other guys (can't remeber who exactly) in addition to what they gave up to the Braves for Shelby Miller.

They wanted 3 top Red Sox prospects and Mookie Betts.

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Immediate question: Why didn’t #Reds take #WhiteSox’s package instead of #Dodgers’? Rival execs think LAD did much better than CIN.

My same question.

Give them Urias. I was hoping the Dodgers would go all out for Vin's last year.

That's too much to give up. Fernandez is a great talent but he's got 3 years of team control, and one of those is probably going to come with an innings limit. Dodgers could probably shop a package around these new prospects to a number of teams to get a starter.

Napoli to the Indians. 1yr/$7m
I don't follow the behind the scenes stuff a whole lot with sports, so forgive me if this sounds dumb, but why do this when you already have 2 "ok" 1st basemen and, more importantly IMO, the outfield needs way more attention? Unless they're planning to trade Santana or Johnson in a deal for an outfielder?

Meier

I don't follow the offseason that closely to be honest. I can't believe the Dodgers have resigned Utley for $7m.. that's nuts. I thought if we kept him, it'd be to the tune of $2-3m at most. We're going to pay him a total of $9m for this season?! Dude is absolutely washed up. This is insanity.

R.e. other discussion above: I'll be furious if the Dodgers give up Urias.

Top Bottom