• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Per Ken Rosenthal, Bartolo Colon is coming back to the Mets, 1 year 7.25 M contract. pending physical
ajaja
seriously though, great value as a 5th starter and then as insurance when Wheeler comes back.

I don't follow the offseason that closely to be honest. I can't believe the Dodgers have resigned Utley for $7m.. that's nuts. I thought if we kept him, it'd be to the tune of $2-3m at most. We're going to pay him a total of $9m for this season?! Dude is absolutely washed up. This is insanity.

R.e. other discussion above: I'll be furious if the Dodgers give up Urias.

Jose Fernandez is like the 99 percentile outcome for Urias (that might even be too optimistic - Jose Fernandez is really good!). If it comes down to Seager or Urias I'd go Urias any day of the week

Jose Fernandez is like the 99 percentile outcome for Urias (that might even be too optimistic - Jose Fernandez is really good!). If it comes down to Seager or Urias I'd go Urias any day of the week

i would agree with that.. however i do find it concerning that he's already had TJ surgery and has such a volatile delivery

he's amazing to watch tho

Meier

Fernandez is obviously an amazing talent but TJ injuries have a history of recurring and you never know if/when he'll get injured again. Giving up possibly the best (maybe 2nd best at worst?) pitching prospect in baseball is never a good idea. At age 18, Urias was absolutely dominating AA competition. He is so far ahead of the curve in terms of age that it isn't even funny. The Dodgers have to keep him. Have to.

Seager is obviously a non-starter as well. I'd rather we don't get Fernandez if it meant giving up one of them. They can have Joc though.

i would agree with that.. however i do find it concerning that he's already had TJ surgery and has such a volatile delivery

he's amazing to watch tho

Fernandez is obviously an amazing talent but TJ injuries have a history of recurring and you never know if/when he'll get injured again. Giving up possibly the best (maybe 2nd best at worst?) pitching prospect in baseball is never a good idea. At age 18, Urias was absolutely dominating AA competition. He is so far ahead of the curve in terms of age that it isn't even funny. The Dodgers have to keep him. Have to.

Seager is obviously a non-starter as well. I'd rather we don't get Fernandez if it meant giving up one of them. They can have Joc though.

Ninja Scooter said:
Prospects still carry value though based on projections. Granted every prospect could be a bust, but Jose Fernandez could also never fully regain his old form, or could blow out his elbow again. There's always risk involved. 6 years of team control each of multiple top prospects are still more valuable than 3 years of team control of a guy coming off TJ surgery.

I think trading for Fernandez is kinda a bad idea (or maybe just really high risk/high reward), but if you're gonna do it I think Urias isn't that high of a price to pay. Fernandez not coming totally fresh off of TJ (since he came back mid-2015) and you have him for three years, probably pretty cheap in arb since he missed over a year. Though for the Dodgers money may not be a big concern

Personally, I would guess Friedman finds a way to get it done without Urias or Seager. Seems like a Friedman thing to do

Prospects still carry value though based on projections. Granted every prospect could be a bust, but Jose Fernandez could also never fully regain his old form, or could blow out his elbow again. There's always risk involved. 6 years of team control each of multiple top prospects are still more valuable than 3 years of team control of a guy coming off TJ surgery.

Also CardsGAF, turns out Yadi had another surgery and will be out until Opening Day (though given the Cardinals' record of injury diagnosis, I'd expect longer)

Grichuk had a surgery too, but it sounds like he'll be ready for spring training

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Updated World Series odds:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/12/16/world-series-odds-on-december-16-why-not/

9fm3PFH.png

6AH3J8d.png

BFIB

Also CardsGAF, turns out Yadi had another surgery and will be out until Opening Day (though given the Cardinals' record of injury diagnosis, I'd expect longer)

Grichuk had a surgery too, but it sounds like he'll be ready for spring training
Trade Grichuk while the value is high. Dude is way too injury prone.

Most metrics have him worth pretty much exactly $7.25M.

Good signing, can't bank on Montero being okay to go and having Bart gives us flexibility for Wheeler.

Malvingt2

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN
Scouting report on Peraza from MLB GM “Extra player,struggles on defense,zero pwr,doesn’t walk,when speed goes you have nothing, extra plyr

MLB GM when I asked him to give me a comparison for Jose Peraza: “Miguel Cairo with less power and instincts"

damn

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Scouting report on Peraza from MLB GM “Extra player,struggles on defense,zero pwr,doesn’t walk,when speed goes you have nothing, extra plyr

MLB GM when I asked him to give me a comparison for Jose Peraza: “Miguel Cairo with less power and instincts"

damn
Probably just Coppy covering his tracks.

zulux21

White Sox dun goofed.

really not sure how the white sox goofed here, I was worried they would when they announced the trade but then they gave up no one of real interest to get a clear cut upgrade at third and actual protection behind abreu.

they got
Todd Frazier - power hitting decent defensive third basemen to stabilize a spot that has been horrid for years for the white sox.

they gave up
Frankie Montas - power arm that lacks control and likely at best will be a good reliver.

Micah Johnson - a promising second basemen who has been horrid with defense. a lot of up side but not a sure thing.

Trayce Thompson - likely a fourth outfielder selling high on him most likely.

the fact that they didn't give up tim anderson (future white sox short stop) or any of the following pitchers

Carson Fulmer
Spencer Adams
Chris Beck
Erik Johnson

was great.

the only major downside is unlike the red sox a few years back they didn't get the dodgers to eat some of their bad contracts like danks or laroche :p

overall I am quite happy with this.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Sometimes I wonder how stupid I am.

Smoke detectors are chirping, but I have no idea which one, cant really pan it out. Go to the store to buy new 9v batteries and replace the ones in house...still chirping. In the process I set off the alarms which go off for a minute probably pissing off all my neighbors as I live in a Condo...then I find the chirping noise...my CO2 detector which is chirping because after 7 years its dead...

How do I live n breathe on this world

Get a few pitchers and now we are loved!

some bad breaks for LA. If the had been able to pull off the Chapman trade and sign Kuma I'd probably say they were a better team than last year despite losing Grienke.

Top Bottom