• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Cardinals offseason has been 49ers like so far. Hard to feel sorry when they have been so dominant and will still get 85+ wins.

It's a pretty typical Cardinal offseason of the last decade, really. I guess except from the offseason when they resigned Holliday

The team has a solid player at every single position. Unless they get a star (Price, Heyward), the marginal cost for a win is pretty high and IMO not worth it. Upton/Gordon is maybe a 1-2 win upgrade over Piscotty - maybe not even that since I think Piscotty is going to be the RH version of Matt Carpenter - at way more cost. Same with Leake/Chen/whoever over Cooney/Lyons/Gonzales. I like Maeda, though, and if his cost isn't too high I'd spring for him

I think they're still projected to be the fifth or sixth best team in baseball and I'd bet the over on that, tbh

Oh, nice! Rogers media guys have started shitting on the stadium retrofitting/installing a grass surface.

Funny how that changed so drastically in a matter of weeks.

Beckx

Still not sure what to make of this Bucs/Brewers trade.

I guess we have a deeper bench but we still have no starting options at 1st. Probably will end up with a platoon.

Just two offseasons ago, we signed the top SS free agent.

The market seems to have slowed down now that the stars are all signed. Maybe Mo can pick up some depth pieces for cheap.

I'd argue Stephen Drew would've been the top SS FA at the time (though clearly in terms of results that's not the case), especially since Peralta was coming off a PED suspension

R7mOUvWl.jpg

How is Shark not Kylo Ren? He actually looks like him!

harSon

Banned
Fuck the Pirate's cheap asses. Sell the damn team to someone with some money if you're going to be cheap fucks all the time.

zroid

Banned
Holy crap I just heard a hilarious story on a Blue Jays podcast

Apparently Anthopoulos and three of his front office guys -- LaCava, Tinnish, and Sheehan -- were up late one night in the offseason discussing what to do with Justin Smoak, whom they of course had claimed off waivers.

AA wasn't a fan but the others thought he'd be a good value signing for the club. Late into the night they couldn't reach a consensus so Alex gave an ultimatum: if all three guys stand up on the table and insist he signs Smoak then they'd go ahead with it. LaCava and Tinnish acquiesced but Sheehan was like "I'm not standing on the table." So Anthopoulos said "Then we're not signing Justin Smoak." Reluctantly, Sheehan got on the table... and the decision was made!

He had a pretty good year so I guess it worked out. :lol

Oh, nice! Rogers media guys have started shitting on the stadium retrofitting/installing a grass surface.

Funny how that changed so drastically in a matter of weeks.

I heard it on Brady and Walker and I just shook my head.

If it means it gets actual FA's playing in our shit stadium instead of trawling the waiver wire constantly, THEN YOU FUCKING TAKE IT.

But of course, Rogers are a bunch of cheap fucks and now barely care about the Jays now that they have the golden goose in the NHL TV contract.

jakncoke

Banned
Pirates rotation till Glasnow in June(if he's ready) is Cole, Liriano then some mix of Niesse, Vogelsong and Locke. This sure will be something.

harSon

Banned
Pirates rotation till Glasnow in June(if he's ready) is Cole, Liriano then some mix of Niesse, Vogelsong and Locke. This sure will be something.

Our team is basically banking on a bunch of fucking rookies. We have major holes at 1B, 2B and the back end of our rotation - which we're looking to fill with Taillon, Glasnow, Hanson and Bell. Considering our team is cheap as fuck and will be waiting for Super Two for all of these players, they're not going to realistically come up until closer to the All-Star break. And rookies are not a sure thing... and we have to bank on at least half of them performing well for us to realistically not suck.

Is it just me or are the Nats having a decent offseason?

I don't see them being at the level of the Mets this year yet, but they have solid rotation depth and I could see them signing one of the big OF'ers.

The Baker hire wasn't super great, but I could at least see them being good this year.

BFIB

I don't see them being at the level of the Mets this year yet, but they have solid rotation depth and I could see them signing one of the big OF'ers.

The Baker hire wasn't super great, but I could at least see them being good this year.
Not a Baker fan, but he can control a clubhouse at least.

Syrinx

Nats will be in the hunt for the east this year. Then their super cost-controlled deal for Harper ends and they'll some decisions to make.

I still weep for Lucas Giolito. Dusty will be a death sentence for that kid.

It's gonna cost a good amount for a 25 yo cost controlled starter who put up good numbers in the AL.

I'm a top-tier prospect hugger, but I think that's a trade worth considering.

I mostly mean that's just how the Cardinals operate. Trading Shelby was more the exception rather than the norm, and only happened because our RF of the future died

Cardinals at this point need the high risk/high reward that Reyes brings, anyway

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
They fucked up big time. The Blair prospect the Braves got profiles to be the equivalent of Miller, so there's no real logic here.
Eh, I mean, Blair's 70th percentile outcome is probably equivalent to Miller's 50th. Shelby definitely has the higher ceiling. But when you factor in years of control, then you're basically right.

Eh, I mean, Blair's 70th percentile outcome is probably equivalent to Miller's 50th. Shelby definitely has the higher ceiling. But when you factor in years of control, then you're basically right.

That's the point. Why give up all of that for three years of Miller? La Russa wanted Miller back at any cost.

Top Bottom