• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malo

Banned
And the Mets big signing of an impact bat is, DRUMROLL PLEASE!

Alejandro De Aza.

Kill me.
I'll just leave this here:

The Mets operate like a ponzi-scheme

Back in 2008, the team’s investments with Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff were discovered to be a fraud. More than $500 million in assets Wilpon and Katz thought they had—and had borrowed against—vanished. Accordingly, just to stay afloat, they needed to take out a $430 million loan against the team and $450 million against their majority ownership stake in SNY (a network started with a loan from Madoff, incidentally).

Ever since, the Mets have managed to get by annually by diverting revenue from their baseball and television operation into the financing of debt. Prior to the refinancing of the past two years, the annual interest on these two loans plus debt balloon payments of more than $43 million have exceeded team payroll itself.

The refinancing of the two loans has extended their due dates out five years, so this arrangement is set to continue for a long time to come. And the debt balloon payments run until December 2045, when currently youthful pitching ace Steven Matz will be 54 years old.

Didn't even need to click the link before I knew it was Megdal.

The Mets will never be good more than once every 7-10 years until the Wilpon's sell the team. That's just how it's going to be, and I'v accepted that.

Leake is such a Cardinals move

Don't like the length (AAV is fine) but he's relatively young and durable. And didn't cost a draft pick

edit: Zips projections for Leake, which are probably a little pessimistic in terms of WAR because Leake is a FIP beater. Contract is pretty safe and average :lol

CW2MAHSWwAMjFBa.png

SaintR

And the Mets big signing of an impact bat is, DRUMROLL PLEASE!

Alejandro De Aza.

Kill me.

This makes zero fucking sense. All these big time outfielders in the market, why not wait and see if one of them waits too long and has to sign a one year contract?

The Mets continue to fall flat with this "strike early, strike cheap" approach. I mean am I to assume De Aza had to be had now before he got snatched up?

Malvingt2

@jonmorosi
#Dodgers well positioned to pursue Maeda, because portion of $20MM posting fee required up front. And liquidity is not an issue for Dodgers.

The Cardinals gave Mike Leake $80 million? $16 million AAV?

vh583b.gif

That's about what someone like Mike Leake costs these days. It's not a bargain, but it's not a bad deal. It's a remarkably boring, market-level contract.

(The actual cost is really a little less too, considering other pitchers required giving up a 1st round pick valued at around $5-8m)

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
That's about what someone like Mike Leake costs these days. It's not a bargain, but it's not a bad deal. It's a remarkably boring, market-level contract.

(The actual cost is really a little less too, considering other pitchers required giving up a 1st round pick valued at around $5-8m)

You're reminding me of myself having to defend the BJ Upton contract when it was signed. Hopefully you get a better ending.

Indians have released Chris Johnson. They are on the hook for the rest of his contract.

He's making $7.5 million in 2016, $9 million in 2017, and a $10 million 2018 club option with a $1 million buyout.

The Braves took on Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn. Swisher is making $15 million and Bourn is making $14 million in 2016, but both will be free agents after this year.

You're reminding me of myself having to defend the BJ Upton contract when it was signed. Hopefully you get a better ending.

It's certainly possible that Leake falls off a cliff next season, but probably just as possible that he's more 3 WAR than 2-2.5 WAR.

16m is about right for his 50 percentile outcome. Don't like the NTC, though, but it's not that big of a deal

But yeah, not overly excited about the deal :lol kind of a necessity tho

Fun fact: Mike Leake for his career isn't that different of a hitter than Mike Matheny was

(It still makes me mad that Bourjos got treated so poorly here, when he's literally the CF version of what Matheny was a C)

crpav

Over or under, White Sox suck more or less than last year? I want to believe in them but I just can't. Sale is the only Ace but seems to burn out later in the season and get lit up. The rest of the staff is average to below average. Offense never scores runs when pitching is working. Bullpen caves all too often. No shortstop and I miss Alexi already despite his decline last few years.

I don't know man. For a team to be good these days you need 3 Ace pitchers and 4 huge bats surrounded by guys who get on base and get hits when needed. A good defense also helps and the Sox just don't impress me enough in any of those spots.

BFIB

Got to think about the Leake signing. Lynn pretty much made this a necessity, and with a weak market next year, we could see the Cards see what CMART or Wacha could be worth.

Over or under, White Sox suck more or less than last year? I want to believe in them but I just can't. Sale is the only Ace but seems to burn out later in the season and get lit up. The rest of the staff is average to below average. Offense never scores runs when pitching is working. Bullpen caves all too often. No shortstop and I miss Alexi already despite his decline last few years.

I don't know man. For a team to be good these days you need 3 Ace pitchers and 4 huge bats surrounded by guys who get on base and get hits when needed. A good defense also helps and the Sox just don't impress me enough in any of those spots.
When you have throwback uniforms like this:

451d3167a9482d83682b7dd2549f0e50.jpg

I believe you're always destined for greatness.

I always defend Ketchup, but only under the right circumstances. Hot dogs, Burgers, Fries, eggs (scrambled and only sometimes) never on steak and most certainly never on sweets and baked goods. that's just wrong.

5/80 for leake is a solid signing by st. louis.

however, i'd be remiss to not use this opportunity to talk about another cardinal acting all high and mighty about the heyward thing.

CW3cu7wUoAAPxiT.jpg

of course, they are too good for insults, so they frame it in nonsensical terms. it's a "personality thing". okay, adam.

zulux21

man José Quintana can't even get respect from someone who seems to be a fan :/ (reminds me of Mark Buehrle pre perfect game respect wise as no one ever paid him any attention despite being a well above average pitcher despite having unimpressive stuff)

by WAR quintana was better than Sale last year :p
only 5 people who had votes for the cy young in the AL had a better WAR than Quintana according to baseball-reference :p

only two of those were left handers.

also while Carlos Rodon didn't have an amazing rookie season for being rushed to the majors he did fine and was getting better as the season went on. The white sox have more than one above average pitcher :p

as for the bullpen it was average, but with plenty of young talent, it can easily get better.

Bat wise, well the white sox have already been working on fixing that the the offseason isn't over.

and as for short stop... I say screw it just let tim anderson have the job, his defense is still a little rough but his bat/speed looks MLB ready.

as for the bats never scoring runs when the pitching is working.... well I don't disagree, but I also don't feel I have ever watched a season quite like last season. The white sox really should have ended up with a better record last year. Even ignoring like half of the starting staff having career worst years, I can't recall every watching a team that constantly shifted what was working without ever having anything line up aside from two separate one week periods. The bats came to life and suddenly pitching wasn't working at all, the moment pitching started locking down things the bats vanished, and if against all odds both were working suddenly the team would make like 5 errors. It was super odd watching a team that was constantly in a random different funk. I am not saying the team was amazing, but it was better than it ended up being. I am wondering if chemistry is out of wack because robin doesn't know how to lead things properly.

as for next season, I feel like they will compete for the top of the division, but a lot of that is expecting the white sox to move some of their pitching talent to get another bat, or signing alex gorden. I'm just hoping against all odds they move Danks to a long relief position as one of the top white sox pitching youngsters can't be any worse lol (plus he is the lefty that would be best to move as he isn't part of the long term plans like sale, rodon, and quintana)

5/80 for leake is a solid signing by st. louis.

however, i'd be remiss to not use this opportunity to talk about another cardinal acting all high and mighty about the heyward thing.

CW3cu7wUoAAPxiT.jpg

of course, they are too good for insults, so they frame it in nonsensical terms. it's a "personality thing". okay, adam.
Salty Wainwright is fantastic. Him throwing a 1st pitch meatball to Soler was so great.

Top Bottom