• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malo

Banned
I'm a Reds fan. Is this sarcasm because I really don't know.
It's not. Davis is the best prospect in the deal, projected to be a mid rotation starter at best (BA ranked him as our 6th best prospect). Jagielo has power but can't field and will have to move to first soon. Cotham could be a decent bullpen arm and Renda isn't much of a prospect.

3N16MA

Banned
His stock had to have taken a hit considering the situation he is in. The package being sent includes maybe one of the Yankees top 10 prospects.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Not a bad deal. The 50 game suspension is unfortunate but it's a one time cost. You take the one time WAR hit into account.

Just for some perspective, the Yankees had the 14th best odds of winning the World Series as of December 23rd at +2500

If anybody seriously thinks Chapman rockets them anywhere close to 1st where the Cubs currently sit (let alone to the Top 10)....lol.

Likewise. Especially when you consider that the Yanks play in a division with tons of power hitters and hitter friendly ballparks (Including their very own) so I wonder if that diminishes Chapman's mystique a bit.

Not a bad pickup...that's a hell of a hypothetical upgrade from Justin Wilson, assuming that Miller is kept.

I'd still like to find a way to make Miller and or Gardner/Nova into some prospects or a quality SP, but whatever.

The Yankees employ A-Rod.

I don't think I even have the right to have any morality things going on there...just gonna let the 50 games pass, and figure that he's either going to redeem himself by pitching amazingly, or get flipped for stuff around trade deadline time.

Malo

Banned
The team is old, they'll start out hot and then fall apart. They need young talent.
Didi, Castro, Severino, Bird, Hicks, Judge, and Sanchez will all be under the age of 26 by the time opening day comes. They have some young talent, it's not the best, but it's a whole lot better than just a year or two.

hes suspended 50 games for sure?
If he's suspended for more than 45 days, the Yankees get get one more year of control.

As for the whole morality thing, I really don't know. This is on a whole other level than PEDs.

Pepiope

Didi, Castro, Severino, Bird, Hicks, Judge, and Sanchez will all be under the age of 26 by the time opening day comes. They have some young talent, it's not the best, but it's a whole lot better than just a year or two.

If he's suspended for more than 45 days, the Yankees get get one more year of control.

As for the whole morality thing, I really don't know. This is on a whole other level than PEDs.
That's not the type of young talent that will carry them to a World Series championship. Castro and Cashman are a pretty good start though.

"Wow! The best swing and miss relievers in MLB #1 Miller 42.7% #2 Chapman 42.6% #3 Betances Combined 1.70ERA & 347K in '15
Best pen in MLB!!"

From Al Leiters twitter

3N16MA

Banned
Yanks have been old for the past 12 years. It's tradition for other fans to say the Yanks are old before the season starts.

jman2050

Yankees picking up a top-shelf player whose value has cratered due to outside circumstances for almost nothing, you'd almost think the Yankees are the Yankees again.

If anything, this helps them keep Betances from being completely spent by September again. Keep all three, let them spell each other, you'll have a fresher BP come September.

At least that's how I'd play it.

Likewise. Especially when you consider that the Yanks play in a division with tons of power hitters and hitter friendly ballparks (Including their very own) so I wonder if that diminishes Chapman's mystique a bit.

The Reds play in Great American Ball Park, which is probably more hitter friendly than any stadium besides Coors (maybe AZ too).

I guess the NL Central outside GABP and Miller, maybe Wrigley, isn't that hitter friendly, but Chapman is no stranger to pitching in a hitters park.

As much as I sort of dislike the Kimbrel trade, I think it's preferable to having a FO that sees an instance of domestic violence as a buy-low opportunity.

Is it just me or is the Reds rebuild pretty "meh" so far.

Seems like they are either waiting too long to trade guys or just not getting great talent in return.

I like what they got for Cueto mostly.

Top Bottom