• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

It has to do with the audacity of Girardi acting like he did. Newsflash: When you score ZERO runs and go 20 out of 21 innings without scoring a run, worry about your team's hitting, not silly things like a blown call that, ultimately, had no bearing on the outcome.

You do realize it was reporters asking him all those questions about IR, right?
You act as if he had a meltdown when all he did was answer their questions.

It has to do with the audacity of Girardi acting like he did. Newsflash: When you score ZERO runs and go 20 out of 21 innings without scoring a run, worry about your team's hitting, not silly things like a blown call that, ultimately, had no bearing on the outcome.

it isn't silly at all. it would have ended the inning. the umpires don't affect how the team hits! one has nothing to do with the other, why are you bringing that up!? every run matters and having shitty calls to give the other team another chance to score just reduces the other team's (the Yankees) chances of this. I don't care how much you hate the Yankees, you really want to see baseball games with shitty calls every game just because they happen against a team you hate? not a good fan.

Red's CEO said:
"In Dusty's five seasons here, he's taken us to the postseason twice and has proven he can lead our teams to championship-caliber play on the field," Reds president and CEO Bob Castellini said. "He's the right manager to continue the building process that will take us deeper and deeper into the playoffs in the future."

I don't know, I don't think making it to the playoffs 40% of the time, especially in the relatively weak NL Central is really a thing to brag about. But, whatever, this is good news for STL.

Panzon

Gone are mystique and aura, the two temptresses of the Bronx, who blessed old Yankee Stadium with kismet and joy and brilliant baseball. In their stead are apathy and malaise, a couple of hags from Yonkers. They embody the new Yankee Stadium, a sarcophagus if ever there was one: no matter how gorgeous and ornate the outside, it remains filled with lifelessness. No wonder Game 2 of the ALCS featured thousands of empty seats, like Game 1 before it, and like the do-or-die Game 5 of the ALDS, too.

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/rando...t-town-tigers-say-its-easy-to-play-there-now/

I knew someone was going to talk about this sooner or later...

NEW YORK – Television ratings for baseball's division series are down from last year.
The 18 games on TBS, with all four series going the distance, averaged a 2.4 rating. That's down 11 percent from the 2.7 for 19 games in 2011, when teams from larger markets made the playoffs. Three of the four series went the full five games last season.
MLB Network aired playoff games for the first time this year. Its two division series broadcasts — Game 2 of Detroit-Oakland and Game 3 of St. Louis-Washington — averaged a network-record 1.2 million viewers, compared with 3.7 million for the TBS games. MLB Network is in about 70 million homes while TBS is in more than 100 million.
Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program.

American League Championship Series Game 1 on TBS Delivers More Than 6.8 Million Total Viewers and the Top-Rated Sports Program of the Day

American League Championship Series Game 1 on TBS Delivers More Than 6.8 Million Total Viewers and the Top-Rated Sports Program of the Day

Saturday’s ALCS Game 1 Propels TBS to Win the Night in Primetime

TBS’s exclusive presentation of Major League Baseball’s American League Championship Series Game 1 – the Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees on Saturday, Oct. 13, from 8 p.m.-1:06 a.m. ET – delivered a 4.2 U.S. household rating and more than 6.8 million total viewers, based on Nielsen Fast Nationals. The Tigers/Yankees telecast was the top-rated sports program of the day across all networks, based on Nielsen metered market ratings, and led TBS to win the night in primetime across all of television (broadcast and cable).

Last night’s Tigers/Yankees telecast, the highest-rated and most-viewed of the 2012 MLB Postseason, is up 104 percent among total viewers compared with last year’s NLCS Game 1 on TBS (St. Louis vs. Milwaukee – 3,350,000 total viewers) and 100 percent in average U.S. household ratings (vs. 2.1 rating for Cardinals/Brewers Game 1 in 2011).

Additional highlights:

TBS’ Tigers/Yankees telecast averaged a 3.9 U.S. household rating from 8-11 p.m. and jumped to a 4.7 U.S. household rating from 11 p.m.-1:06 a.m.
The network’s telecast peaked at a 5.1 U.S. household rating from 12-12:15 a.m.
Locally, the telecast registered a 25.9 metered market rating in Detroit and a 14.4 in New York (the highest-rated game of the 2012 MLB Postseason in both markets).

NFL and MLB post Sunday weekend TV ratings boosts
GAME ON!

The featured game in Fox's NFL doubleheader -- N.Y. Giants at San Francisco -- drew the weekend's biggest overnight by far: 16.1, which translates into 16.1% of households in the 56 urban TV markets measured for overnights.

But that was down 16% from comparable coverage of a Dallas-New England game last year.

Blowouts can still draw, if they involve brand names like the Green Bay Packers. NBC's coverage of Green Bay blowing out Houston drew a 12.6 overnight, up 13% from comparable coverage of a Minnesota-Chicago game last year.

Fans don't just talk about they New York Jets, they watch them. CBS' NFL regionalized coverage, featuring the Jets beating Indianapolis, drew an 11.5 overnight -- up 16% from last year's comparable coverage, which featured Buffalo-Giants.

Dallas Cowboys action never bombs at the TV box office. Fox's early-game coverage, featuring Dallas-Baltimore, drew an 11.5 overnight. That's solid, but still down 7% from action featuring San Francisco-Detroit last year.

San Francisco Giants, predictably, a solid draw. Those MLB Giants, from the USA's No. 6 TV market, vs. St. Louis, from just the USA's No. 21 TV market but also with a strong regional following, Sunday night drew a 4.7 overnight on Fox -- up 21% from comparable coverage of a Texas-Detroit ALCS game last year.

Yankees draw. Duh. TBS' coverage Detroit-N.Y. Yankees Sunday afternoon drew a solid 3.7 overnight -- up 61% from comparable TBS coverage of a St. Louis-Milwaukee NLCS prime-time game last year. Now, TBS just needs the Yankees to start winning and extend the series -- the longer series go, generally, the higher the ratings.

The Steady Eddy of TV sports. NASCAR Sprint Cup action on ABC Sunday drew a 3.0 overnight, the same as last year's comparable coverage. NASCAR Sprint Cup ratings are unusually consistent.

And yet Yanks had the 2nd highest attendance in 2012. Actually they're the top 2 since the new stadium despite high ticket prices. Shit the A's didn't even make the top 25 after their great year.

And i find it funny where're bad fans because we boo our guys when they're slumping. I guess we should be jumping for joy 4 of our top guys can't hit shit.

I'M JOE BUCK AND WE ARE ABOUT TO WATCH A BASEBALL GAME. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO SEE TONIGHT TIM MCCARVER?

Well Joe, I expect to see two offenses try to get hits and score runs against two good pitchers. In my estimation the team that accomplishes that more successfully will win.

Dusty was extended.

That was the news that finally killed my interest in sports. Bye.

dusty-baker7.jpg

Afrikan

Why does Fox insist on showing pitches from behind the catcher? It's seriously pretty annoying.

I FUCKING HATE THAT SHIT!! As a Giants fan I've had to deal with that shit for yeeeeaaarrs locally....I usually turn away, or hope they switch back before the pitch.

I swear its bad luck man. I need to see the batter hitting the ball to instantly determine...er ok ok, well at least have an idea if something good/f'd up is about to happen. :/

Top Bottom