• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

I kinda understand the hate from us, but it's not like we win all of the time. Direct your hate towards those that deserve it, like the Yankees.

Couldn't watch the game but caught the last half of the game on the radio. Can't believe how much better our bullpen is now with Kelly and Rosenthal stepping in the middle innings when necessary. Beats relying on Victor Marte and Barret Browning.

Also happy to see Lincecum pitching out of the bullpen since that means we might see Zito start.

As much as I'd like them to lose also, I think it would be more fun to see them win against SF, get to the series, and get pounded into jelly by the Tigers.
I remember some USAToday columnist predicted Tigers in 3 for that 2006 Series because Detroit was so good. Maybe they finally learned to play defense now?

bozeman

Couldn't watch the game but caught the last half of the game on the radio. Can't believe how much better our bullpen is now with Kelly and Rosenthal stepping in the middle innings when necessary. Beats relying on Victor Marte and Barret Browning.

Also happy to see Lincecum pitching out of the bullpen since that means we might see Zito start.

Tim and Joe speculated that he'll probably start Game 4 since he was pulled so quickly tonight.

VRMN

I remember some USAToday columnist predicted Tigers in 3 for that 2006 Series because Detroit was so good. Maybe they finally learned to play defense now?

Heh. I never quite got how favored the Tigers were in that Series. It wasn't like that Tigers team was just full of monstrous talent. They overachieved to get to there and the layoff just seemed to rob the mojo out of them.

This year's team is a lot better on paper and aren't overperforming as much as they're living up to potential. If they're overachieving in this postseason in any facet, it's Jhonny Peralta's glove, which has been the great untold story of this ALCS, buried under "Jeter's out for the season" and "holy crap the Yankees offense has imploded."

But I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again. Right now I will take the Tigers rotation over anyone else on the planet. Top to bottom, those four pitchers have been nothing short of magnificent this postseason.

Izick

gu77e.gif

Heh. I never quite got how favored the Tigers were in that Series. It wasn't like that Tigers team was just full of monstrous talent. They overachieved to get to there and the layoff just seemed to rob the mojo out of them.

This year's team is a lot better on paper and aren't overperforming as much as they're living up to potential. If they're overachieving in this postseason in any facet, it's Jhonny Peralta's glove, which has been the great untold story of this ALCS, buried under "Jeter's out for the season" and "holy crap the Yankees offense has imploded."

But I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again. Right now I will take the Tigers rotation over anyone else on the planet. Top to bottom, those four pitchers have been nothing short of magnificent this postseason.

The Tigers were good, but inexperienced. Kenny Rogers found his mojo, but Verlander was Young, they actually Started Nate Robertson in every series I believe, and we even threw Jeremy Bonderman. They also had like 4 throwing errors to first and third base.

Are Yankees fans still grousing about the blown call? Let's also pretend these never happened:

Obvious third strike not called on Tino Martinez. Next pitch, grand slam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEUiKR0dAk#t=40s

Jeffrey Maier:
005535723.jpg

Chuck Knoblauch's phantom tage on Jose Offerman - this was actually called an out:

a_stretch.jpg

Get bent, Girardi!

eznark

Banned
I totally forgot about that Offerman tag. Now I want to go back and read the thread during the infield fly fuck-up and see if the one or two remaining Red Sox fans bitched about Atlanta throwing trash on the field.

Your salt and Girardi's salt are gonna give this thread diabetes. Chill out.

Haha, I just laugh at a manager/fanbase getting so bent out of shape and completely forgetting all the blown calls that have gone their way in the playoffs the last 15 years. Who was a player on that 1999 Yankees team - that's right, Joe Girardi.

eznark

Banned
Oh look, now Kev is a doctor! whoopie de dooooooo

Haha, I just laugh at a manager/fanbase getting so bent out of shape and completely forgetting all the blown calls that have gone their way in the playoffs the last 15 years. Who was a player on that 1999 Yankees team - that's right, Joe Girardi.

Why? If no one complains there would be no reason to fix it. Unless you are one of those "human element" geniuses.

Oh look, now Kev is a doctor! whoopie de dooooooo

Why? If no one complains there would be no reason to fix it. Unless you are one of those "human element" geniuses.

I am fine with instant replay in baseball, but then it gets to how far should it go? Should they institute a "K zone" and just get rid of the home plate umpire calling balls and strikes - or allow a challenge, similar to what they use at Wimbledon and on the tennis tour? We have the technology.

In talking about this case specifically, I thought it ridiculous for him to go off on that tirade and unfortunately there wasn't a reporter smart enough to ask "Joe, were you this incensed in 1999 when your team got the benefit of such a call?"

Even if Infante was called out, you can't predict what would have happened in the next inning - Cabrera would have led off.

eznark

Banned
I am fine with instant replay in baseball, but then it gets to how far should it go? Should they institute a "K zone" and just get rid of the home plate umpire calling balls and strikes - or allow a challenge, similar to what they use at Wimbledon and on the tennis tour? We have the technology.

In talking about this case specifically, I thought it ridiculous for him to go off on that tirade and unfortunately there wasn't a reporter smart enough to ask "Joe, were you this incensed in 1999 when your team got the benefit of such a call?"

Even if Infante was called out, you can't predict what would have happened in the next inning - Cabrera would have led off.

It should go as far as technology allows and continue to improve as technology improves. There are still issues with home plate monitoring technologies recognizing depth, so I think we are stuck with umps for a few more years. Every other call should be instantly reviewed from a booth and reversed if necessary. Let's not pretend like there isn't 10-45 seconds of downtime between a ball in play and the next pitch. This would have no pacing impact and would actually speed the game up as managers would have no one to bitch to and stall the game.

Agreed. And the union wouldnt bitch because it means more umpire jobs. Even give them a little pay raise. Then, get the worse umps out of the fucking field n into the replay office. No way they can screw that up.

eznark

Banned
lol at anyone giving a fuck about what MLB umpires think. That union is not worth mentioning. They're continually destroyed. Unlike the NFL, there is nothing terribly complex or fast paced about a MLB game.

andthebeatgoeson

Your salt and Girardi's salt are gonna give this thread diabetes. Chill out.
Not sure if u know how diabetes works.
lol at anyone giving a fuck about what MLB umpires think. That union is not worth mentioning. They're continually destroyed. Unlike the NFL, there is nothing terribly complex or fast paced about a MLB game.
Except the part everybody bitches about, balls and strikes on 90mph pitches.

BTW, when they broadcast MLB I'm Europe, what does the radar gun read?

The time for replay is NOW!

But only because for once it's the Yankees on the sour end of a blown call and not the other way around, naturally.

But only because for once it's the Yankees on the sour end of a blown call and not the other way around, naturally.

This is how professional sports works, unfortunately. Do you think the referees in the NFL would have been back the next week if it was the Bills that got screwed and not the Packers?

Hughes vs Verlander tomorrow.

Hmmm...

Isn't it Sabathia?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I bet Girardi was in favor of instant replay in 2009 when Cuzzi called Mauer's clear double a foul ball...

Joe Girardi said:
If you were to start to Instant Replay all these plays, I think it would break the rhythm of the game.

Oh.

Robot Umps 2013.

The 2006 Tigers went 7-0 after dropping the first game of the ALDS to NY. They probably shouldn't have been heavy favorites in the WS but let's not downplay their talent relative to the 2006 Cards now. If it weren't for those errors, the series is a lot closer than 4-1.

If we were to meet this year in the WS, it'll be an interesting contrast of styles. Dominant starting pitching + leaky relief vs shaky starting pitching + solid bullpen.

If you could put a Cardinal hat on my dog, I'd very much appreciate it.
I always thought that was a cat for some reason. The sunglasses threw me off. Just like how they hide the ugliness in eznark's pic above.

Mully

I really hope Girardi let out a tirade in the locker room last night. I think he's done a good job here, but one of the things he let go of was his fiery attitude that he had in Florida.

He needs to let that fire out. These players need to be held accountable.

The Tigers were good, but inexperienced. Kenny Rogers found his mojo, but Verlander was Young, they actually Started Nate Robertson in every series I believe, and we even threw Jeremy Bonderman. They also had like 4 throwing errors to first and third base.

Are Yankees fans still grousing about the blown call? Let's also pretend these never happened:

Obvious third strike not called on Tino Martinez. Next pitch, grand slam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEUiKR0dAk#t=40s

Jeffrey Maier:
005535723.jpg

Chuck Knoblauch's phantom tage on Jose Offerman - this was actually called an out:

a_stretch.jpg

Get bent, Girardi!

the fuck does that have to do with yesterday's call? is there a umpire manual that says you have to make up a call for another failing to make the right call? a bad call is a bad call whether it's against your fucking team or not. what idiocy.

like I said, idiotic thinking, what does the yankees getting a bad call go their way have to do with the fact that it's a bad call? umpires are fucking up left and right all around the league and you want to go back 15 years!

because people weren't clamoring for instant replay in the Atlanta game, or the perfect game that wasn't in Detroit a while back? I can keep going, this isn't about the Yankees only.

the fuck does that have to do with yesterday's call? is there a umpire manual that says you have to make up a call for another failing to make the right call? a bad call is a bad call whether it's against your fucking team or not. what idiocy.

like I said, idiotic thinking, what does the yankees getting a bad call go their way have to do with the fact that it's a bad call? umpires are fucking up left and right all around the league and you want to go back 15 years!

because people weren't clamoring for instant replay in the Atlanta game, or the perfect game that wasn't in Detroit a while back? I can keep going, this isn't about the Yankees only.

It has to do with the audacity of Girardi acting like he did. Newsflash: When you score ZERO runs and go 20 out of 21 innings without scoring a run, worry about your team's hitting, not silly things like a blown call that, ultimately, had no bearing on the outcome.

Top Bottom