• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

see5harp

I think on paper The Tigers have a very good hitting team (at least the start-middle of their order) and a pitching staff that is close to being as dominant as the 2010 Giants. That doesn't mean much though. Scutaro could go completely cold and Hunter Pence could get a real hit.

zulux21

my predictions for tonight's game 6-2 tigers with verlander going 8 innings giving up 2 early runs and zito only going 5 while giving up 4 runs at least 2 of which will be given up to Prince Fielder.

VRMN

Yep, just as I thought, almost everyone (including "experts") are choosing the Tigers to win.

Which means the Giants have just won the World Series.
What's Vegas' track record with these things? I have to assume they're usually pretty good and have the Tigers as a 7:5 favorite, last I checked.

But Detroit fans tend to get nervous as hell when we're favored. Add that to Miguel Cabrera being the new SI cover boy and there's a palpable sense of dread.

Lord Verlander, save us from our doubts! :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yep, just as I thought, almost everyone (including "experts") are choosing the Tigers to win.

Which means the Giants have just won the World Series.

It is eerily looking like the 2010 predictions, where Texas was the strong favorite with Cliff Lee being impossible to defeat.

Hope things now turn out the way they did back then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So whats going on with Otani? He's declared his intentions to want to play in MLB but the Nippon Ham Fighters are drafting him with their first overall pick anyway. Guessing this is going to get pretty ugly for all parties involved including the NPB and MLB. He really should have signed before the draft.

So whats going on with Otani? He's declared his intentions to want to play in MLB but the Nippon Ham Fighters are drafting him with their first overall pick anyway. Guessing this is going to get pretty ugly for all parties involved including the NPB and MLB. He really should have signed before the draft.

I don't see that as any different than a player who says "Don't draft me, I'm going to college" and a team drafts him anyways.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't see that as any different than a player who says "Don't draft me, I'm going to college" and a team drafts him anyways.

NPB and MLB have an agreement that they won't sign players from each others leagues who are under contract. I believe this is unprecedented, although not totally sure on that. I'd imagine this is going to throw some kind of wrench into any kind of discussions for a little bit anyway - Nippon Ham has the right to sign him all the way through March 2013.

Doogdogg

The NHF could sign him and auction him off to MLB through the posting system. Or he could wait 6-7 months where the draft negotiating period ends and he can sign with any MLB club. I don't think he was able to sign before the draft. It previously happened with Junichi Tazawa who was not drafted (through his request) and become an IFA.

Fox318

Nl5aK.jpg

turnbuckle

Will they be getting 3 starts of Verlander if needed in the series?

I'm seriously pumped for this series. I'm not rooting for the Tigers as much as against the Giants.

Won't need to. Rather the other 3 starters on regular rest than a short rested Verlander. Wouldn't mind him coming out of the pen in game 7 though.

So Mini Miguel gets the start over Handsome Andy, eh? Guess that means Jim can play around with Quentin and Andy if need be, but I would rather have seen Dirks get the start.

see5harp

Why would that help me sleep at night? It's happening before sleep time. At least make some sense.

It's an expression. I slept like a baby last night with the image of Zito throwing his unhittable 82 MPH fastball right by the heart of your order.

Last time a team that won the World Series where their three opponents in the postseason were all from the same division (both AL and NL)?

Have no idea. Would the Giants be the first team to pull it off?

Fenix

Last time a team that won the World Series where their three opponents in the postseason were all from the same division (both AL and NL)?

It could only have been done from '95 on. Just went to check and if the Giants win, they would be the first team to do it.

Talon

The AL Central and NL Central are the not the same division.

Fenix

The AL Central and NL Central are the not the same division.
He means the Central, either NL or AL.

Interesting factoid from SportsNet, WS winners:

1932 - Yankees
1933 - Giants
1934 - Cardinals
1935 - Tigers

2009 - Yankees
2010 - Giants
2011 - Cardinals
2012 - TBD

Talon

I state again, the AL Central and NL Central are not the same division.

I was invited to hang out with a friend...and then he reveals that he's having a bunch of Giants fans over to watch the WS.

Time to go home.

Top Bottom