• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Lol marlins

LOL indeed. Maybe big name managers get the least slack. But I can't lol at anyone, cause we got Dusty for another 2 years. More gritty .200 hitters in the lineup.

BTW, I've been wrong before about many things... but I am still a master detective. And, I have deduced the dude in your avatar must be a professional Starcraft player.

I doubt Nolasco will be alone in his thoughts, a majority of the Marlins players seemed to like him. It'll be interested to see the comments of the other players.

JABEE

lObiw.jpg

Who will be left by the time the season starts?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
LOL indeed. Maybe big name managers get the least slack. But I can't lol at anyone, cause we got Dusty for another 2 years. More gritty .200 hitters in the lineup.

BTW, I've been wrong before about many things... but I am still a master detective. And, I have deduced the dude in your avatar must be a professional Starcraft player.

Ya he is a pro sc player (Nada). He is retired now though.

Selig wouldn't dare cross me. Fucking used car salesman worming his way to the top of Americas game. Fuck Jeff Lorna, wi would Shit on his art collection. Ozzie, fuck you for disrespecting the Cuban people.

clemenx

Banned
if anyone is curious about the historical TV ratings/viewers for the world series

im rather surprised to see that the Chicago White Sox/Houston Astros series in 2005 had more viewers than any of them since aside from 2009 which involved the yankees.

also it's amazing how much baseball has fallen since the 70s and 80s

Pretty dumb how the highest since the strike is the season after the strike.

I don't get why fans flock back to sports leagues after getting screwed by them.

if anyone is curious about the historical TV ratings/viewers for the world series

im rather surprised to see that the Chicago White Sox/Houston Astros series in 2005 had more viewers than any of them since aside from 2009 which involved the yankees.

also it's amazing how much baseball has fallen since the 70s and 80s

They all fall eventually. I'd like to think there will even be a backlash against the NFL soon as soccer makes huge leaps in popularity. Over the past 7 years I've become less and less interested in the NFL each year, speaking for myself.

zulux21

They all fall eventually. I'd like to think there will even be a backlash against the NFL soon as soccer makes huge leaps in popularity. Over the past 7 years I've become less and less interested in the NFL each year, speaking for myself.

before this year I would have argued for the NHL making the leap up as that seemed to be getting more and more popular, but their second strike in just a few years isn't helping them at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see soccer make a rush to the top though, the rest of the world seems fond of it :p

before this year I would have argued for the NHL making the leap up as that seemed to be getting more and more popular, but their second strike in just a few years isn't helping them at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see soccer make a rush to the top though, the rest of the world seems fond of it :p

I'm just saying, just 4 years ago you'd hardly ever seen soccer on tv, and especially not the MLS. Now I see it all the time. The whole replacement-official fiasco kinda reminded us how annoying and unfair flags are. Way too many rules.

zulux21

And recent World Cups have gotten crazy coverage here. Also, most kids are playing soccer now, overtaking little league baseball.

the idea of baseball fading away makes me sad, but at least I don't mind soccer, would much rather have that be gaining popularity than basketball... such a boring sport that basketball is lol

And recent World Cups have gotten crazy coverage here. Also, most kids are playing soccer now, overtaking little league baseball.

My sister loves football, but she has decided that she won't let her son play because the game is too dangerous. At the least, she'll try to steer him away from it. I think a lot of parents feel this way, and it will begin to have an effect on the game's popularity soon.

see5harp

I'd watch english premier league or spanish league (if it had the same sort of coverage here) way before i watched hockey. I thought soccer had been the most popular youth sport in this country for at least a decade now. Basketball is much easier for me to follow than hockey also.

My sister loves football, but she has decided that she won't let her son play because the game is too dangerous. At the least, she'll try to steer him away from it. I think a lot of parents feel this way, and it will begin to have an effect on the game's popularity soon.
Yea Vas, definetely agree. Concussions the last straw for many.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'd watch english premier league or spanish league (if it had the same sort of coverage here) way before i watched hockey. I thought soccer had been the most popular youth sport in this country for at least a decade now. Basketball is much easier for me to follow than hockey also.

Theres already a ton of soccer coverage in the states with EPL games being aired on ESPN and Fox Soccer. Hell they even have the games on actual Fox in the morning on weekends now.

Really fell in love with the sport over the years. It definitely hits a lot of the same sensibilities that baseball does along with the actually enjoyable parts of American football all rolled up into one.

see5harp

I used to watch most of the games on Fox Soccer. The big games get ESPN coverage, but they moved Fox Soccer to like the 2nd tier of sports channels so you gotta buy the next tier. I still really love football too, but I feel like it gets a lot of love because of fantasy and the fact that it's one day out of the week. Sometimes watching the Niners play is like pulling teeth. It's so slow with too many breaks. That's why I love soccer and basketball...players gotta play both offense and defense. I suppose hockey is that way as well but I just don't understand that sport.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also I absolutely love Ian Darke to death. He's like the Vin Scully of soccer. Will watch anything he's calling. One of the best hires ESPN has ever made.

I used to watch most of the games on Fox Soccer. The big games get ESPN coverage, but they moved Fox Soccer to like the 2nd tier of sports channels so you gotta buy the next tier. I still really love football too, but I feel like it gets a lot of love because of fantasy and the fact that it's one day out of the week. Sometimes watching the Niners play is like pulling teeth. It's so slow with too many breaks. That's why I love soccer and basketball...players gotta play both offense and defense. I suppose hockey is that way as well but I just don't understand that sport.

Champions League Final was shown on network television this year. Would have never imagined that when I was growing up.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
bPruz.jpg

http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/23/carlton-fisk-arrested-dui/

MLB Hall of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk was arrested for DUI last night in Illinois -- after allegedly driving his truck into the middle of a freakin' corn field ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

According to law enforcement sources, the New Lenox PD received a call about a car in the middle of a corn field around 7:20 PM.

When police arrived, officers say they found Fisk behind the wheel of his F-150 -- which had a flat tire -- and he appeared to be fast asleep. We're told cops also found an open vodka bottle in the vehicle.

Fisk was placed under arrest on the scene on suspicion of DUI -- and taken to a nearby hospital for a check-up. We're told he refused a blood alcohol test. His car was impounded.

Fisk was released this morning.

cashman

Banned
Yup, I have several friends who watch and keep up with soccer on a regular basis, and that's without having a local team to cheer on. Oh and FIFA is like a college staple, so that also contributes to the popularity a little.

People always harp on about how Baseball is slow, but Football takes a bit for things to pick up, especially with all those goddamn commercial breaks in between.

World Series umpiring crew announced:

-- Gerry Davis (crew chief)
-- Fieldin Culbreth
-- Brian Gorman
-- Dan Iassogna
-- Brian O'Nora
-- Joe West

Here is the list of the top 22% of players that achieved Super Two status:

-- Everth Cabrera (Padres)
-- Tyler Colvin (Rockies)
-- Sam Fuld (Rays)
-- Chris Johnson (Diamondbacks)
-- Drew Storen (Nationals)
-- Josh Thole (Mets)

This is the first season where the top 22% qualify. Under the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, Super Two status was granted to just the top 17%.

These players will be eligible for arbitration this offseason instead of their clubs being able to renew their contracts at the MLB minimum. They will be eligible for a total of four years of arbitration.

The Super Two service time cutoff was 2.139. Michael Saunders of the Mariners finished one day short at 2.138. Jonathan Lucroy of the Brewers finished three days short at 2.136. His contract would have granted him a $2 million bonus for 2013 if he finished as a Super Two in 2012.

The following players also just barely missed Super Two status by a slim margin:
-- Michael Brantley (Indians)
-- Alex Burnett (Twins)
-- Andrew Cashner (Padres)
-- Daniel Hudson (Diamondbacks)
-- Alexi Ogando (Rangers)
-- Esmil Rogers (Indians)
-- Dan Runzler (Giants)
-- Jordan Schafer (Astros)
-- Justin Smoak (Mariners)
-- Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins)
-- Stephen Strasburg (Nationals)
-- Danny Valencia (Red Sox)

Game 7 ratings updated, was increased a bit from my earlier post:

tvbythenumbers.com said:
NLCS GAME 7 IS HIGHEST-RATED AND MOST-WATCHED PLAYOFF GAME OF 2012 POSTSEASON

New York, NY – San Francisco Giants NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro’s leadoff hit in the third inning last night sparked a five-run explosion that propelled San Francisco to a 9-0 victory over the Cardinals and a trip into the 2012 World Series. The decisive NLCS Game 7 on FOX also sparked the highest-rated and most-watched broadcast of the 2012 postseason.

Last night’s Game 7 delivered a 4.9/7 (8.1 million viewers) household fast-national rating/share, according to Nielsen Media Research and is expected to give FOX its best Monday night since airing the rescheduled Daytona 500 this past February. Last night’s ratings were certainly impacted by heightened interest of the Presidential debate as Game 7 peaked at a 5.8/9 at 8:30 PM ET, just prior to Governor Romney and President Obama beginning their third and final debate as San Francisco opened up a seven-run lead in the third inning. Last night’s game was the fourth most-lopsided Game 7 in Major League Baseball history and the most lopsided since 1996.

The seven-game 2012 NLCS on FOX averaged a 4.0/7, up +38% over last’s year’s NLCS which delivered a 2.9/5. Last year’s ALCS on FOX averaged 4.4/8.

St. Louis led all markets for Game 7 viewing with a 31.8/43 followed by San Francisco, which delivered a 27.5/46 rating/share. Sacramento (22.0/32), Kansas City (9.3/13) Memphis (7.9/11), Detroit (7.8/11), Salt Lake City (7.2/12), Las Vegas (6.4/9), Cincinnati (6.2/9) and San Diego (6.1/10) round out the top ten markets for last night’s game.

World Series Game 1 between the Detroit Tigers and San Francisco Giants airs Wednesday night on FOX with coverage beginning at 7:30 PM ET.

ESPN and Monday Night Football Win the Night among All Key Male Demos
Lions-Bears Delivers 7.7 rating and 10,664,000 Million Viewers

Last night’s ESPN Monday Night Football game – a Chicago Bears 13-7 home win over their NFC North rivals Detroit Lions – won the night among all television programs on broadcast or cable in all key male demos (M18-34, M18-49 and M25-54).
The telecast delivered a 7.7 household coverage rating (6.6 US), representing an average of 7,584,000 households (10,664,000 million viewers – P2+), according to Nielsen. It peaked between 10:45 – 11 p.m. ET with a 9.1 household coverage rating.

see5harp

People always harp on about how Baseball is slow, but Football takes a bit for things to pick up, especially with all those goddamn commercial breaks in between.

It's the penalties and just so many moving parts. I think a football play is as exciting as one thing can be, but I really don't know if the entire play ever really translates well to a viewer (me included). With baseball, I feel like most viewers have a good idea of why an infield will play in or shift. I understand why a pitcher tries to induce grounders with low breaking balls, etc. Football is just a really complicated sport with so many rules. I just hate the fact that 99% of the time, a viewer will never spot a hold in real time. Announcers don't do a good job of explaining what is happening in the big scheme.

Football is just a really complicated sport with so many rules. I just hate the fact that 99% of the time, a viewer will never spot a hold in real time. Announcers don't do a good job of explaining what is happening in the big scheme.

That's mostly because baseball lends itself better for conversation/discussion amongst people. Which - previously viewed as a strength, is now being seen as a "flaw" in todays born in the 90's era Call of Duty whiz bang ninja cool attention deficit generation. They don't want to care for why a 88 mph slider perfectly located to strike out a hitter is a thing of beauty, they just want to see big guy X tackle and cause a concussion on big guy Y.

Top Bottom