• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Link

The Autumn Wind
I was bored and the Taco Bell Promotion had me curious...

How many World Series have produced zero stolen bases?

Did some half-assed googling, then started going year by year on baseball-reference til I got to 1944. No steals that Series.

Used that info to find this article from '08 saying '44 was the only no-SB Series: http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/why-free-tacos-are-a-good-bet-435/

And then checked 08-11 on baseball-ref and there ya have it. 1944 the only World Series without a stolen base.
Taco Bell is well aware of what they are doing. They know most people who go in for their free taco will end up buying other items. This is win-win for them. They get tons of extra traffic to their stores while at the same time getting good press for the promotion.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
A taco is probably extremely cheap for them to make. So yeah they will probably make the money back easily.
Does Shark Tank even air on Sundays?
i think the discovery channel is having a marathon.

RBH

SAN FRANCISCO -- Commissioner Bud Selig said there remains no timetable to make a decision on whether the A's can move to San Jose.

Speaking before Game 2 of the World Series, Selig deflected most every question from a throng of reporters regarding the A's ballpark issue, which has dragged on more than 3 ½ years with no resolution.

Selig declined comment on whether Oakland remains a realistic site for a new venue, whether he expects a resolution before he steps down as commissioner, or whether he'll consider it a failure if the A's don't get a new stadium during his tenure.

"I don't feel any pressure," Selig said. "The only thing ultimately that will guide me -- on every issue, including this one -- is what I think is in the best interest of baseball. That is the only pressure I'll ever feel."

The Giants hold territorial rights to San Jose and are adamantly opposed to the A's moving there. Those rights could be overturned by a 75 percent vote among baseball's 30 owners.
The next round of owners meetings, which take place in November, would seem a convenient time for a vote to be taken, but Selig said the issue is "not on the agenda."

That makes it extremely unlikely the issue will be resolved in 2012.

"It's a very complex situation," Selig said. "People say, 'Oh it's easy, you oughta be able to make a decision.' But it's not if you really understand all the issues, and I think all the parties do understand."

Selig was seen talking to Giants President and CEO Larry Baer and Corey Busch, who is part of the three-man committee Selig appointed to study the A's stadium issue, before Game 1 at AT&T Park. Selig said he has not met with A's managing partner Lew Wolff since arriving in the Bay Area but that he has talked to Wolff on the phone recently.

In other news, Selig said he expects instant replay to be expanded next season to include borderline fair/foul calls down the baselines and for trapped balls. He also confirmed that the one-game wild card playoff format will remain.
http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_21856997/oakland-ballpark-issue-still-hold

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why, but for some reason I thought Jose Oquendo was offered the Miami job. So keep this on the radar if things do happen, then this thread would be super spooky.

Fuck you.
owzyq.gif

I'm still a sour Cards fan, but any fan of baseball has to be a little bored with how this is turning out. Some great individuals performances have kept this series from being atrocious, but it certainly isn't as fun as it could have been.

I'm still a sour Cards fan, but any fan of baseball has to be a little bored with how this is turning out. Some great individuals performances have kept this series from being atrocious, but it certainly isn't as fun as it could have been.

Yep. Last night's game wasn't too bad since the Tigers came really close a few times, but the first two games were boring as fuck outside of the Panda.

"The Giants haven't seen a team this powerful all year, and by this time next week, they won't know what hit them. The Tigers, like a caged boxer, know they are about to deliver an ugly whuppin', but will refrain from providing clubhouse fodder."

Holy shit.

Talking down the West Coast and then the West Coast rising up and delivering a solid ass-kicking never gets old. Never change, East Coast Media.

In unrelated news, that Cowboys-Giants game certainly had an exciting finish. I'm now suitably amped for this game.

Top Bottom