• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
Because Appel didn't sign, the Pirates will receive an extra first-round pick in next June's draft, the ninth selection overall. The Pirates also could gain an extra selection from baseball's first competitive balance draft, which will be held Wednesday in Secaucus, N.J.

competitive balance draft? whats that

Ned Yost baffles me at least once a week. He's in love with the bunt. Yet in the bottom of the 11th with bases loaded and one out has Yuni swing away with his .242.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
competitive balance draft? whats that

It's confusing as shit but I believe its the 10 lowest revenue teams and the 10 smallest market teams (there is crossover between the two) get put into a lottery in order to divvy up six extra picks that take place after the 1st round compensatory picks happen in 2013. They are also based on winning percentage from the previous season so the Pirates have a pretty good shot.

And if they lose out they can still gain competitive balance compensatory picks that happen after the end of the 2nd round.

Also these picks can actually be traded (with some heavy restrictions). No other picks can be of course.

Yeah this shit is needlessly confusing.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's confusing as shit but I believe its the 10 lowest revenue teams and the 10 smallest market teams (there is crossover between the two) get put into a lottery in order to divvy up six extra picks that take place after the 1st round compensatory picks happen in 2013. They are also based on winning percentage from the previous season so the Pirates have a pretty good shot.

And if they lose out they can still gain competitive balance compensatory picks that happen after the end of the 2nd round.

Also these picks can actually be traded (with some heavy restrictions). No other picks can be of course.

Yeah this shit is needlessly confusing.

I totally forgot you can trade those. What a clusterfuck.

Still dont understand why you cant trade picks, its 2012 and cant.stupid lol.

And you can't trade any draft players for an entire year. I remember when the Indians traded Drew Pomeranz to the Rockies for Ubaldo, he had to be referred to as player to be named later until August 15.

Sanjuro

For Toronto-Age.

1YVKM.png

Fenix

Holy shit Eddy.

Edit: According to Wilner, Thome's the only other player to hit the ball in to Sightlines in a game. Wow.

Mets/Braves lineups. Prado still at SS. McCann back. Valdespin in. Tyler Pastornicky was recalled from AAA but is not in the lineup. Braves will demote either Mike Minor or Randall Delgado to AAA after the game to make room for Ben Sheets.

Mets 7/14 Lineup:
1. Ruben Tejada - SS
2. Jordany Valdespin - LF
3. David Wright - 3B
4. Ike Davis - 1B
5. Daniel Murphy - 2B
6. Kirk Nieuwenhuis - RF
7. Josh Thole - C
8. Andres Torres - CF
9. R.A. Dickey - P

Braves 7/14 Lineup:
1. Michael Bourn - CF