• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
as always, i like to consult these two charts on whether you should walk a great hitter. The chart was made for Bonds in 2002 and a different run environment but still good enough imo.

Home
Away

harSon

Banned
Because he is usually hitting with empty bases.

lol

I know he's not going to continue at the pace he's currently at now. But there's no questioning the fact that he's going to have an amazing year, and in contention for NL MVP. His stats are pretty damned good right now.

And him hitting with empty bases was more true earlier within the season (when he wasn't hitting as well I might add), but we've been hitting as good as any team in the MLB for a while now (barring today :|)

Pujols had 201 home runs at age 25. McCutchen has 71. Totally keeping pace!

You're twisting my logic. I'm talking about this season. You're just bitter that the Pirates are up 7.5 games on the Brewers, and that your team's hitting is anchored by a player who's more juiced than Bane from Batman.

harSon

Banned
Pirates org doesn't seem to want to offer more than Marte, so I wouldn't count on anything happening there.

I wouldn't mind giving up Taillon, a player like Jose Tabata and/or some other mid level prospects for Upton. I'd prefer to keep Marte considering he's one of the few good hitting prospects that we have right now (Can't wait to see how Josh Bell shapes up in the future), unless the trade was him straight up for Upton without touching Cole, Taillon or any of our core pieces. I don't think we can afford to break the bank for Upton, ie. Cole/Taillon + Marte

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wouldn't mind giving up Taillon, a player like Jose Tabata and/or some other mid level prospects for Upton. I'd prefer to keep Marte considering he's one of the few good hitting prospects that we have right now (Can't wait to see how Josh Bell shapes up in the future), unless the trade was him straight up for Upton without touching Cole, Taillon or any of our core pieces. I don't think we can afford to break the bank for Upton, ie. Cole/Taillon + Marte

Just remember that in baseball, prospects bust or fail to reach their potential the vast, vast majority of the time.

It's not like Upton is some old dude. You're getting somebody back that has proven that he can hit at the MLB level. His contract is also not bad either. As franchise you have to at least want to make the playoffs and rejuvenate that fan base.

CygnusXS

It's not like Upton is some old dude. You're getting somebody back that has proven that he can hit at the MLB level. His contract is also not bad either. As franchise you have to at least want to make the playoffs and rejuvenate that fan base.

Not to mention his defensive and baserunning skills. And his contract is awesome. McCutch and Upton in the same outfield would be ridiculous. Now's the perfect time to get him too, when he's having a down year and ownership seems to be pushing him out.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Another win
DGph4.gif

harSon

Banned
I'm definitely on the fence.

I suppose I'm overly paranoid considering the boneheaded trades we've made over the course of this 19 season losing streak. I'm still bitter over letting Jose Bautista go for a stick of gum and some pocket lint.

jakncoke

Banned
I would be very uneasy of such a deal but winning would soon make me forget the prospects. I've latched onto so many busted out prospects that I dont even know why I follow prospects anymore.

I suppose I'm overly paranoid considering the boneheaded trades we've made over the course of this 19 season losing streak. I'm still bitter over letting Jose Bautista go for a stick of gum and some pocket lint.

Well to be fair at the time he was 26, had 43 hrs and a 241 batting average with us over 1520 pa, he wasnt a prospect

CygnusXS

Dude, you're lucky you even got the lint.

clemenx

Banned
I understand aversion to giving any of the 2 pitching prospect but even "considering" including Marte is dumb. Marte's best case scenario would be an inferior player that Upton already has shown he can be.

harSon

Banned
I would be very uneasy of such a deal but winning would soon make me forget the prospects. I've latched onto so many busted out prospects that I dont even know why I follow prospects anymore.

Well to be fair at the time he was 26, had 43 hours and a 241 batting average with us over 1520 pa, he wasnt a prospect

We just have a knack for giving up players that eventually become something, or maybe our system just sucks at polishing talent :|

Like trading for Vogelsong, him sucking with the Pirates, and then turning into a solid pitcher when resigning with the fucking Giants. Although we were spot on with out fire sale in 2009. Bay, McClouth, Sanchez, etc. have all been mediocre since leaving the Pirates. The only player I really miss from that purging is Adam LaRoche. And Dotel for McDonald has worked out extremely well.

Also, there are rumors (I know, I know) that we could potentially land Upton without giving up our two pitching prospects: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pitt...ates-justin-upton-gerrit-cole-jameson-taillon but then this came out a few hours later: https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/224590238083858432

And Marte is not in the lineup for Triple-A Indianapolis anymore, which could mean he's either coming up or being traded in the near future.

harSon

Banned
I think the best offer the Pirates would realistically make is Marte, Heredia and maybe Alen Hanson, and I don't really see Arizona taking that..

jakncoke

Banned
We just have a knack for giving up players that eventually become something, or maybe our system just sucks at polishing talent :|

Like trading for Vogelsong, him sucking with the Pirates, and then turning into a solid pitcher when resigning with the fucking Giants. Although we were spot on with out fire sale in 2009. Bay, McClouth, Sanchez, etc. have all been mediocre since leaving the Pirates. The only player I really miss from that purging is Adam LaRoche. And Dotel for McDonald has worked out extremely well.

Also, there are rumors (I know, I know) that we could potentially land Upton without giving up our two pitching prospects: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pitt...ates-justin-upton-gerrit-cole-jameson-taillon but then this came out a few hours later: https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/224590238083858432

And Marte is not in the lineup for Triple-A Indianapolis anymore, which could mean he's either coming up or being traded in the near future.

coaching could be the issue.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
LaRoche is pretty good. His swing and defense are top-notch.

I would give up the Nats top pitching prospect FWIW to get Upton. Obviously dealing from a position of strength, there.

CygnusXS

Hey Braves fans, I think I figured out why Minor is so broken this year. Look at his pitch location heat maps on FG and his player profile on Brooks.

Basically, he's throwing a lot more often in the middle and upper portion of the zone than he was in previous years, and he's shifted his release point to be higher and closer to his body, which is probably contributing to the first issue. Helps make sense of why he's giving up so many homers.

This is totally fixable. Some better luck would help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom