• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayson Stark is reporting the Braves are now backing off on rotation help and are now looking for bullpen pieces. The rationalization is that if the Braves need a starter, they can stick Kris Medlen in the rotation without having to give up any prospects. They are still keeping tabs on Zack Grienke and James Shields though. I would imagine Ben Sheets' performance tonight against the Phillies will dictate which way they go.

andycapps

Jayson Stark is reporting the Braves are now backing off on rotation help and are now looking for bullpen pieces. The rationalization is that if the Braves need a starter, they can stick Kris Medlen in the rotation without having to give up any prospects. They are still keeping tabs on Zack Grienke and James Shields though. I would imagine Ben Sheets' performance tonight against the Phillies will dictate which way they go.

Seems surprising.. Medlen did great the other day and Gonzalez mentioned that he gives them an option if they're unable to get another starter, but it didn't sound like they had definitely decided to go that way.

Marlins are asking for teams' top 2-3 picks in exchange for Johnson. LOL

While the Miami Marlins have made it clear that pitcher Josh Johnson is available in a trade, the team's initial asking price for the All-Star right-hander is so high it's generated skepticism within baseball circles that he will be moved by Tuesday's non-waiver trade deadline.

Several baseball sources told ESPN.com the Marlins are asking for each team's top two or three prospects in every trade scenario involving Johnson.

"They're asking for a ton,'' said an American League general manager. Another baseball source said the Marlins' demands are so exorbitant that their trade proposals are basically ''non-starters'' for clubs interested in having a dialogue.

The Rangers, Blue Jays, Orioles, Angels, Braves and Red Sox are among numerous teams interested in dealing for Johnson. Indications are that Miami's talks with clubs have focused on such elite prospects as Jurickson Profar, Mike Olt and Martin Perez in Texas, Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado in Baltimore and Travis D'Arnaud and Anthony Gose of Toronto.

Hooray! Another Giants-Dodgers series!

Let's see if the bums can actually score a run this time!

GyJHl.gif

Different team since the last series

Despite the initial LOL firesale reaction, the Marlins did get some good pieces in return. Jacob Turner and Nate Eovaldi were nice pickups. They also managed to shed Hanley's entire contract, which was a good move since he was regressing hard.

Despite the initial LOL firesale reaction, the Marlins did get some good pieces in return. Jacob Turner and Nate Eovaldi were nice pickups. They also managed to shed Hanley's entire contract, which was a good move since he was regressing hard.

Agree. This year's firesale is quite a bit different than the last couple. I think the Hanley deal was a pretty smart move.

RBH

Hate to say it, but I'm unsure of this team's chances of making the playoffs if we can't add another starting pitcher.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Hate to say it, but I'm unsure of this team's chances of making the playoffs if we can't add another starting pitcher.
I honestly think WC2 is the worst case scenario without any roster changes. Not going to make it past the LDS though.

Macattk15

God damn. I hate the fucking Angels. Looks like they didn't give up much either.

Guess he is just a rental though ... watch them sign him to an extension now though.

Tom Haudricourt on Twitter said:
Angels beat writer @MikeDiGiovanna speculates the pitchers in Greinke deal are Johnny Hellwig and Ariel Pena.

So that's 3 of the Angels top 10 prospects if true.

Not a bad haul at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom