• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Lincoln is basically a two pitch guy. Fastball that sits low to mid-90s (consistently 95 out of the pen), I've seen it as high as 96, with a power curve. Curve and fastball are plus pitches. He has a change-up that he rarely uses, even though he apparently had really good success with it in AAA.

Pitching well out of the pen, not so much as a starter, though he has had a couple really good spot starts this year. He could easily be transitioned back into a starter, but it is anybody's guess as to how well he would fare as a regular starter in the AL East.

Just an FYI for Blue Jays fans.

Great baseball Giants.

We're still gonna lose.
... goddamit you're punch-drunk.
So what ham-and-egger relief pitcher is Scott Hairston going to be shipped for?
getout.gif

harSon

Banned
I like the deal.

Snider was once the #6 rated prospect in baseball. At 24, he is still ridiculously young and under team control until 2016. He's struggled at the Major League level in the past, but he has the potential to be a MONSTER, especially as a LH power hitter in PNC Park.

Lincoln was really good for us this year out of the pen, but you trade a reliever for a starting position player every day of the week. Twice on Sundays.

Snider is a legit power threat in a lineup that sorely lacks power. He's hit relatively well this season at both AAA and AL, despite the .250 AVG. Slide Snider into RF and you get a McGehee/Jones platoon at first base that should work wonders if McGehee ever decides to hit with any consistency.

Lincoln was being groomed to become our closer. If we were to trade anyone, it should have been Hanrahan who has completely lost control of his pitch and is seemingly closing out games by sheer luck. Not to mention the fact that NOW is the time to trade him, while he still has considerable value, and not when he's regressed to the point where we're going to get jack shit for him.

Our bullpen is the reason we're in the position we're in now. Before the hot streak, the only reason we were hovering around and above .500 was our bullpen's ability to keep leads, and deficits manageable. With McDonald in a funk, Correia unhappy/worthless and our hot streak coming back to reality, the Pirates at least had their shutdown bullpen to fall back on, and without Lincoln, I'm not sure that's even consistently possible anymore.

We're fucking 14 games over .500, within striking distance of first place within the NL and we're still reluctant to give up any prospects. The Pirates need to understand that not all prospects amount to good MLB players. If that were a reality, the Pirates wouldn't be smack in the middle of a 20 season losing streak. I really hope we make some trades tomorrow, because this trade signifies that we're still in the mindset of preserve the farm for a better tomorrow, instead of making a realistic push for NOW.

I'm not saying break the farm, but give up something.

How does the Jays bullpen look for next year.....

Frasor, Janssen, Santos, Lincoln, Villanueva, Happ, Carpenter?

I don't expect Darren Oliver to be back, but damn hes good

I cannot believe he walked Whiteside. OHWAITAMINUTE YES I CAN.

Jesus Christ Collins is HOT. He's practically running out there to chew out Acosta. If he blows this he's getting released.

Macattk15

Can't wait till tomorrow.

Carter Capps and Steven Pryor will be promoted to the M's.

Carlos Peguero will be demoted to Triple A. Thames will join the team. Thames is an immediate upgrade over Peguero ... that's how bad he is.

Also the M's have been playing awesomely since Ichiro left town.

How does the Jays bullpen look for next year.....

Frasor, Janssen, Santos, Lincoln, Villanueva, Happ, Carpenter?

I don't expect Darren Oliver to be back, but damn hes good

Don't forget Delabar and his 27.3% HR/FB ratio!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Man, Pirates fans are weird. Look guys, your team took a failed starter who's having a decent year as a non-closing reliever and flipped him for a young team-controlled-for-years corner outfielder who, yes has struggled, but still has a lot of potential, particularly in the power tool (which, key point, takes the longest to develop). You should all be doing a jig in the streets.

Teams like the pirates need to make moves like this because of their inability to compete on the free agent market. Most prospects bust, which is EXACTLY why farm-built teams need to hold onto as many prospects as possible. They're diversifying their strongest area of investment in order to build insurance against prospect failure. Filling a major-league starting position with a legit young player with upside for years at the cost of a fucking reliever is a no-brainer, even if Snider doesn't turn into a star.

GODDAMIT!!

HMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

THE ballgame is over! They win the fucking thing 7-6!

FUCKING THING SUCKS

God I hate the Left Coast. I'm going to sleep.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Lincoln was being groomed to become our closer. If we were to trade anyone, it should have been Hanrahan who has completely lost control of his pitch and is seemingly closing out games by sheer luck. Not to mention the fact that NOW is the time to trade him, while he still has considerable value, and not when he's regressed to the point where we're going to get jack shit for him.

Our bullpen is the reason we're in the position we're in now. Before the hot streak, the only reason we were hovering around and above .500 was our bullpen's ability to keep leads, and deficits manageable. With McDonald in a funk, Correia unhappy/worthless and our hot streak coming back to reality, the Pirates at least had their shutdown bullpen to fall back on, and without Lincoln, I'm not sure that's even consistently possible anymore.

We're fucking 14 games over .500, within striking distance of first place within the NL and we're still reluctant to give up any prospects. The Pirates need to understand that not all prospects amount to good MLB players. If that were a reality, the Pirates wouldn't be smack in the middle of a 20 season losing streak. I really hope we make some trades tomorrow, because this trade signifies that we're still in the mindset of preserve the farm for a better tomorrow, instead of making a realistic push for NOW.

I'm not saying break the farm, but give up something.

The Pirates just traded one of their Top 10 prospects for Wandy Rodriguez. They need to make smart moves and not trade Starling Marte for Hunter Pence or Shane Victorino.

If your bullpen is the only reason that you are winning games, then you don't have a good team. The Pirates have a very good bullpen, but they are winning games because 1) the starting pitching is extremely strong and 2) they have one of the best offenses in baseball since June 1. The bullpen is still strong with Jared Hughes sliding into Lincoln's spot.

Lincoln's value is as a starter. He was being groomed to become a permanent member of the rotation, not the closer. If he were being groomed to become a closer, then the Pirates would have called up Jeff Locke or Rudy Owens to make those spot starts in place of Lincoln. The fact that the Pirates did not gives you a clear indication of where the Pirates wanted Lincoln in the future.

Joel Hanrahan isn't a problem and should not be traded. He's one of the best relief pitchers in baseball.

Macattk15

Hahaha. Carlos Peguero already demoted and on his way to AAA.

Eric Thames may K a lot ... but god damn Carlos Peguero. 22K's 1BB in 42 PA's.

harSon

Banned
The Pirates just traded one of their Top 10 prospects for Wandy Rodriguez. They need to make smart moves and not trade Starling Marte for Hunter Pence or Shane Victorino.

If your bullpen is the only reason that you are winning games, then you don't have a good team. The Pirates have a very good bullpen, but they are winning games because 1) the starting pitching is extremely strong and 2) they have one of the best offenses in baseball since June 1. The bullpen is still strong with Jared Hughes sliding into Lincoln's spot.

Lincoln's value is as a starter. He was being groomed to become a permanent member of the rotation, not the closer. If he were being groomed to become a closer, then the Pirates would have called up Jeff Locke or Rudy Owens to make those spot starts in place of Lincoln. The fact that the Pirates did not gives you a clear indication of where the Pirates wanted Lincoln in the future.

Joel Hanrahan isn't a problem and should not be traded. He's one of the best relief pitchers in baseball.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2012/7/27/3193753/whats-wrong-with-joel-hanrahan

zulux21

so trade deadline predictions.
What teams will still make another move in the next 13.5 hours and who will be the biggest player moved in the next 13.5 hours?

jakncoke

Banned

he got a horrible fip this year

harSon

Banned
I'm pretty excited for the trade deadline tomorrow. While there's probably not much out there we can get, I'm hoping NH can pull off something magical.

Hahaha. Carlos Peguero already demoted and on his way to AAA.

Eric Thames may K a lot ... but god damn Carlos Peguero. 22K's 1BB in 42 PA's.

Thames is better than that, but not by much. Tonnes of Ks, very few walks, and he's terrible in the field. He takes really, really bad routes, and when he gets to the ball you never know what he's going to do. Earlier this year, against Baltimore I think, he turned a routine warning track fly ball into a home run.

When he guesses right on pitches, though, he can crush the ball. Not sure if that's a huge plus when Safeco is your home park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom