• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lololol why would Amaro trade Victorino for a reliever??

I'd become more of an Amaro fan.

The Phils desperately need to improve their bullpen. I would be very happy if they got League for a guy that is going to walk at the end of the year. That is the exact kind of move I want Ruben to make, move guys who wont be here next year and get guys that will help out next year.

We also traded Eric Thames to Seattle for Steve Delabar... not nearly enough bullpen arms, AA! We need more!

And now...Davis is the starting left fielder? Not sure I like that. He's fine as a fourth outfielder, but anything more than that and he's overmatched. I don't know what other options they have, though...Gose clearly isn't ready, and neither is Jake Marisnick. Maybe they'll give Moises Sierra a look? I'm not against trading Thames or Snider, but it feels like AA just created a giant hole in the outfield.

tc farks

Well it looks like Dempster will almost certainly be gone by 3 today. Kaplan reported that the Dodgers, Rangers and Yankees are all in play and he will accept a trade to all 3.

Baseball sources have confirmed to me that three teams are in play for Ryan Dempster and he will approve a deal to any of the three teams if the Cubs can agree on a suitable return in exchange for the veteran right-hander who is enjoying one of the best seasons of his career. The Los Angeles Dodgers, who have long been Dempster's preferred destination will have to increase their offer as the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees have stepped up their pursuit over the last 48 hours. With Roy Oswalt having another poor performance on Monday evening, the Rangers have decided to upgrade their rotation and are looking at all available options including Dempster and Matt Garza.

"Texas is serious about adding a starter and Dempster isn't as expensive to trade for as Garza would be, but after finishing as runners-up in the last two World Series and seeing the Angels add Zach Greinke, Texas management has decided to make a run at adding pitching, a baseball source told me. "However, with three teams seriously involved, it won't be cheap to acquire him even though it is potentially a three-month rental."

"Dempster has made it clear to Cubs management that he would like to play in Los Angeles but he also understands that Epstein and Hoyer have a job to do and he will not stand in their way if it means that the best deal is somewhere else," a source with knowledge of the discussions told me this morning. "He never told them he would only go to LA, he only said that he wanted time to make the best decision for him and his family and that is his right as a 10/5 [10 years in the majors, the lat five with your current team] man. Ryan is serious about wanting to win a World Series and he will approve a deal if it gives him that chance. People who have been critical of him about the Atlanta deal don't have all of the facts."

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/cubs-news/Kaplan-Trio-of-suitors-for-Dempster?blockID=748937&feedID=8487

I'm curious as to what the Jays plan to do with left field? Ride Davis out until the end of the season? Who is available in the off season to fill that position?

I'm curious as to what the Jays plan to do with left field? Ride Davis out until the end of the season? Who is available in the off season to fill that position?

Not a whole lot of corner outfielders, outside of Josh Hamilton, and there's no way the Jays go for him. A couple of possible centrefielders, though -- Victorino, BJ Upton, Melky Cabrera. Outside of a trade, though, I think they're just going to hope one of Gose/Sierra/Marisnick/Pillar turns into something. (And sidenote: if Pillar ever develops power, holy crap could he be good.)

Malo

Banned
Banned for that? Meh.

Well it looks like Dempster will almost certainly be gone by 3 today. Kaplan reported that the Dodgers, Rangers and Yankees are all in play and he will accept a trade to all 3.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/cubs-news/Kaplan-Trio-of-suitors-for-Dempster?blockID=748937&feedID=8487
I call bs on the yankees involvement in the Dempster sweepstakes.

Jon Heyman
‏@JonHeymanCBS

theres no evidence of dempster talk with the # yankees. heres what we know.

Zee-Row

Banned
219664_346275632119028_1287356574_o.jpg

Dominic Brown removed from AAA lineup today. Trade going down. Either he's a part of a trade or getting promoted to take over Victorino's spot.

Jon

RIP Shane.

You will always be remembered for:

1) Hitting the grand slam off CC in the 2008 Divisional Series
2) Hitting the game tying homer off Broxton in the LCS.
3) Nailing Prado(?) at the plate in Atlanta to preserve Lidge's save streak, on the way to a perfect season.
4) Being a genuinely good guy.
5) Helping out immensely in the community.
6) Ed Hardy t-shirts.

May you return from whence your came.

TheNatural

My Member!
Glad the Reds "Dodged" that bullet. Pun intended.

The Phillies were apparently asking too much, and I don't want to fuck up the chemistry of the team trading for an aging vet who may not even produce better than Stubbs the rest of the year, and lose a piece of the pitching staff or something,

tc farks

I call bs on the yankees involvement in the Dempster sweepstakes.

It seemed like a half-assed ploy to get the Dodgers to up their offer to me. I'm sure the Rangers and Yanks have kicked the tires, which made them easy candidates to throw out there. Don't know if it had any effect but things seem to be moving forward:

JIM BOWDEN @JimBowdenESPNxm
Cubs and Dodgers finally closing in on the Dempster deal according to a source close to the negotiations

Quote:
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
Ethan Martin's name had come up in #Dodgers talks with #Cubs on Ryan Dempster, source says.

Obviously Martin is out.

BFIB

Looks like its "top prospects" for Pence.

No names yet. As a Cards fan, I really want to see the Pirates succeed this year, I was hoping they would come out of the woodwork and land a big target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom