• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
So far...it's Tommy Joseph. Swing and a miss for Amaro. Please, get Brown.

Smart move for both clubs. I think Joseph is going to struggle with getting on base but will develop into a pretty good catcher. Obviously blocked there but is a great pickup for the Phillies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So far...it's Tommy Joseph. Swing and a miss for Amaro. Please, get Brown.

Yeah what? Tommy Joseph is a freaking crazy get for Hunter Pence. Makings of a Wheeler - Beltran all over again. Even if thats the only player the Phillies got they'd win that deal, but it looks like there is more if there is a deal in the first place.

jaysonst
Sources say Giants are NOT trading Gary Brown, Brandon Belt or RHP Kyle Crick to Phila. for Pence. Deal is pending one more physical

So it looks like the Giants are trading another player too.

harSon

Banned
Stephen Drew would be a decent trade for the Pirates. I can't stomach Barmes at the plate for much longer. But then again, he's not hitting much better himself post injury...

tc farks

I got too much shit to go deal with to continue to follow this. But I think the Cubs' boner for Allan Webster prevails. Dodgers seem to want James Russell as well, which makes sense.

I think Joseph is a good pickup for sure, but thinking about what they gave up for Pence in the first place definitely makes it more painful.

I think the Pence deal was a great deal. The playoffs are always a crap shoot but he help get them there and there is no way to know if any of those guys will ever be good. I hate that they are trading Pence away for prospects now. I would have rather he played here next year and then left for nothing.

Cmon Mets just pick up Yorvit Torrealba from the Rangers.
errr... I think I'd rather have Rob Johnson.
According to Ken Davidoff of the New York Post, while the old Mets regime liked Torrealba a lot, the current Mets do not appear to be interested.

The 34-year-old Torrealba had been hitting just .236 with a .302 OBP, three HR and 12 RBI in 182 plate appearances this year.
Also apparently a number of teams are still interested in Scott Hairston. Mets are listening to offers but aren't really looking to deal him unless Brian Sabean a team wants to give the Mets a good prospect.

Bob Nightengale saying the Yankees have jumped in on the Ryan Dempster talks.

Diamondbacks pitching prospect Patrick Corbin has been scratched from his scheduled AAA start today. They are reportedly close to acquiring Matt Garza.

Hunter Pence trade is official. Giants get OF Hunter Pence. Phillies get OF Nate Schierholz, C Tommy Joseph, and RHP Seth Rosen.

jakncoke

Banned
I don't think we're going to be acquiring a big bat. Apparently we're focused on adding bench and bullpen help.

rofl.. we just traded some a fucking way. also id rather be crazy than delusional for a AAAA guy mlb-age. I wonder if Justin Wilson is close to come up to help the bullpen. I know he's a starter now but thats not his future.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Why? He's a pretty decent player. I honestly have no idea what the Giants are doing.

You're delusional. Tommy Joseph is an average catching prospect. The guy is hitting .260 with 8 jacks this year in AA. Big deal. The giants already have one of the best young catchers in the game, and a backup in Hector Sanchez who can flat out hit. Nate Schierholtz is a 4th outfielder at best, and that's being generous. Great fielder, but worthless in AT&T park from a hitting standpoint. You are honestly upset that we gave up those 2 players and a pitcher nobody has even heard of, for a potential all star caliber player in Pence, who is under control next year? This isn't even close to the Beltran deal. We kept Gary Brown, Joe Panik, Kyle Crick and Brandon Belt and actually got cash from the Phillies as well. This is a complete win for the Giants any way you look at it. You are fucking insane if you think otherwise.

andycapps

Yankees are just trolling. They don't want Ryan Dumpster.

davehesterstoragewars.jpg

The Giants got a fucking steal, Pence is a really good player, he is only having a down year because they batted him 4th early in the year. His numbers have been up ever since they moved him back to 5th.

Macattk15

rofl.. we just traded some a fucking way. also id rather be crazy than delusional for a AAAA guy mlb-age. I wonder if Justin Wilson is close to come up to help the bullpen. I know he's a starter now but thats not his future.

Holy poop. You traded a bullpen arm for someone with monster potential.

Relievers are a dime a god damn dozen. Need a closer? Take a failed starter, get a closer!

As a deal, both sides got decent players.

People use BA to hype up prospects all the time, there is nothing wrong with using it against a guy. I dont care what numbers any prospect has, because most will bust no matter what they do in the minors.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I just saw someone cite batting average to judge a AA player. WHAT
Meh i'm not saying him hitting .260 is indicative of the type of player he could turn into, but when you already have Buster Posey and Hector Sanchez blocking him, Tommy Joseph is completely fucking expendable. Especially when the alternative is giving up Gary Brown, Joe Panik, Kyle Crick, or Brandon Belt who all have tremendous upside.

I've been playing on Baseball Reference for the last hour, and the most interesting thing I learned is that in 2002, Junior Spivey finished in 14th for the NL MVP vote.

sangreal

I'd give up Gumbs, but not Dante Bichette Jr. for Dempster. Yankee's SP situation isn't good, but not really a desperate need either.

I'm annoyed they're looking for more defense-first players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom