• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
628078555.jpg

zulux21

I don't blame you on Zach Cox, but Mujica would mean you have to had watched the Padres or the Marlins in the last 3-4 years.

yeah... SHAME ON YOU.

I don't watch to much NL ball in general, when I do it's usually only for the first few innings or the last inning of a game, so it would make sense why I don't recognize Mujica

Wasn't Cox their first round selection from a couple of years ago? He must not have been doing too good to be traded for a reliever.

looking up him he was still rated the #88 top prospect in all of baseball at the start of this season, but his numbers are not as good as last year.

zulux21

Pirates aren't actively seeking Chase Headley according to twitter. Not really sure what we'd do with him anyways

what positions could the pirates actually go after for an upgrade anyways? (I mean realistically obviously there are upgrades for most positions out there for most teams :p)

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I actually think Nate Schierholtz might surprise some people hitting in CBP half the time. He has got some pop, but he is just so fucking streaky that he was never going to start for the Giants regularly in their cavernous park. I can see him hitting 20+ jacks for the Phillies in that park no problem. He's a great fielder and needed a change of scenery. He is not a whiner as some people seem to be portraying him as. He was a good Giant who just wanted a shot to start somewhere else.

zulux21

The Red Sox will acquire left-handed reliever Craig Breslow from the Diamondbacks, Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reports (on Twitter). Boston had been seeking left-handed relief. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe first reported that the Red Sox might acquire Breslow

another trade in.

Only you think it was a bad deal. That's not a good sign for your argument.

Have you seen MLBTradeRumors Comments section?

Fangraphs: Did Alex Anthopolous Just Make a Bad Trade?

While I'm not crazy about the return the Jays got for Snider, I do think that fan reaction to him leaving is a little overblown. He's never shown that he can stick with changes to his swing, he strikes out way too much/walks way too little, and they were out of options on him after this season, so his trade value only goes down from here (unless, of course, he puts it all together and lives up to the hype).

Also, for the last few years, every time Snider failed in the MLB you had a huge chorus of Jays fans saying that he was AAAA, that he'd never make it, etc. I have a feeling there's a huge overlap between the people who wanted him to fail last year and the year before, and those who are furious he's gone now...

zulux21

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0a3o6t7Ou1r8ob90.gif[IMG]

[B]
SHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

I have been decently vocal that I am a White Sox fan :P
I haven't had any friends that have followed any NL teams since 2006 or so... and they liked the Cubs lol. But there really hasn't been to much of a reason for me to pay attention to the NL I mean I know some things about the NL, but I can't name any farm system players or middle relievers/ bench players from the NL lol

I've never really cared about following the farm system as I hadn't had the chance to talk to anyone about the farm system before joining this thread (and since I joined I have been reading up on farm systems a bit more)

[quote="yankeehater, post: 40481432"]Span declines trade to Reds. I guess he enjoys having the playoffs off.[/QUOTE]

some players have families and homes in the towns they have played for and don't want to move their families....
that being said I really wish Span would go to the Reds as the White sox would have at least 1 more win this season if he wasn't on the twins lol

Pence for Nate Schierholtz, Seth Rosin, and Tommy Joseph.

I wonder what the Phillies are going to do with all those Pence bobbleheads they were planning on giving away Aug. 21st.

Wat. Well I guess something had to happen after losing at least 4 fucking games in a row. At least I was camping.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You're delusional. Tommy Joseph is an average catching prospect. The guy is hitting .260 with 8 jacks this year in AA.

He's 21 years old. For the love of god statistics in the minor leagues do not translate to the majors directly. Guys can rake in the low minors and not even be AAAA guys. And guys can struggle and get better as they mature both mentally and physically. And again he turned 21 LAST WEEK. So a guy who's young for his league and is his holding his own at the plate (also lol batting average). Right and he's an "average catching prospect".

The giants already have one of the best young catchers in the game, and a backup in Hector Sanchez who can flat out hit.

Yes the Giants are loaded at catcher. It doesn't mean you trade away assets for marginal upgrades.

Nate Schierholtz is a 4th outfielder at best, and that's being generous. Great fielder, but worthless in AT&T park from a hitting standpoint.

Again the difference between Hunter Pence and Nate over the last 2 years has not been that great.

You are honestly upset that we gave up those 2 players and a pitcher nobody has even heard of, for a potential all star caliber player in Pence, who is under control next year?

This isn't even close to the Beltran deal. We kept Gary Brown, Joe Panik, Kyle Crick and Brandon Belt and actually got cash from the Phillies as well. This is a complete win for the Giants any way you look at it. You are fucking insane if you think otherwise.

Perennial all-star? Only because he was on the god damn Houston Astros. Pence isn't a bad player by any means, but when you say "perennial all-star" you are implying he is much better than Hunter Pence.

OPS+
Hunter Pence: 109
Angel Pagan: 103
Gregor Blanco: 101
Nate Schierholz: 115

I have been decently vocal that I am a White Sox fan :p
I haven't had any friends that have followed any NL teams since 2006 or so... and they liked the Cubs lol. But there really hasn't been to much of a reason for me to pay attention to the NL I mean I know some things about the NL, but I can't name any farm system players or middle relievers/ bench players from the NL lol

I've never really cared about following the farm system as I hadn't had the chance to talk to anyone about the farm system before joining this thread (and since I joined I have been reading up on farm systems a bit more)
Nah it's cool, there are alot of guys who only watch one league. I'm just ribbing ya.

tumblr_lmc7wwLcYf1qz6f9yo1_500.gif
:D

Does this count as another Marlins firesale? I mean they still have alot of good talent left, doesn't feel like it.

I mean if the Phillies didn't have a firesale, the Marlins didn't.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Yes the Giants are loaded at catcher. It doesn't mean you trade away assets for marginal upgrades.

Again the difference between Hunter Pence and Nate over the last 2 years has not been that great.

Perennial all-star? Only because he was on the god damn Houston Astros. Pence isn't a bad player by any means, but when you say "perennial all-star" you are implying he is much better than Hunter Pence.

OPS+
Hunter Pence: 109
Angel Pagan: 103
Gregor Blanco: 101
Nate Schierholz: 115
I didn't say Perennial all-star, I said potential all star. Pretty big difference. Also pence has hit around .290 with 37 jacks in the last year and a half. Schierholtz has hit around .260 with 13. That is a pretty big difference for a team as power starved as the Giants are.

harSon

Banned
what positions could the pirates actually go after for an upgrade anyways? (I mean realistically obviously there are upgrades for most positions out there for most teams :p)

Bullpen wasn't an issue beforehand, but without Lincoln we need to add someone. Shortstop is a pretty big need considering Barmes, while solid defensively, is an absolute hole offensively. Maybe a 1b, or a decent hitting OF so Jones can stick to playing 1b regularly..?

We need someone who can hit behind McCutchen mostly, because teams have been pitching around him lately and Walker is much better in the 2 spot.

I didn't say Perennial all-star, I said potential all star. Pretty big difference. Also pence has hit around .290 with 37 jacks in the last year and a half. Schierholtz has hit around .260 with 13. That is a pretty big difference for a team as power starved as the Giants are.
Pence is going from 2 huge HR parks in Minute Maid/Citizens Bank to AT&T Park.

... yeah.

zulux21

2:04pm: The Tigers and Cubs are hard at work on Soriano, tweets David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, but he's not sure if they can make the money work. Soriano is owed $42.3MM through 2014.

im really not sure if I want to see this go through or not.
the tigers don't have a DH spot open so he would likely end up in the outfield... where he can continue to be a black hole of suckage out there... but he does have decent life on his bat this year.....

I do wonder though if they are actually actively after him if this means they feel like Vmart won't be back this year after all.

According to Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe, Tigers’ manager Jim Leyland thinks the Tigers are done on the trade front.

Detroit asked the Mets about Scott Hairston, FoxSports.com recently reported, but the Mets wanted one of the Tigers’ top-five prospects in return.
lulz Mets just trying to be dicks.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Pence is going from 2 huge HR parks in Minute Maid/Citizens Bank to AT&T Park.

... yeah.

He is almost a dead pull right handed hitter. Nearly all of his home runs go to left field. It is way easier to hit it out to left field in AT&T than it is to hit it out to right field. Just the fact that he is a right hander vs Schierholtz who is a left hander should be a huge improvement. Pence numbers at AT&T-.325, 5 Hrs, 10 RBI, .560 slugging in 75 at bats. That's pretty damn good, and a massive upgrade over what we have had.

turnbuckle

im really not sure if I want to see this go through or not.
the tigers don't have a DH spot open so he would likely end up in the outfield... where he can continue to be a black hole of suckage out there... but he does have decent life on his bat this year.....

I do wonder though if they are actually actively after him if this means they feel like Vmart won't be back this year after all.

Read earlier today that it's looking more unlikely that VMart can return at all this season. If they do a deal for Soriano he'd be replacing either Delmon or Boesch. Soriano can play the outfield much better than either. It's hard to state just how bad both Delmon and Brennan have been this season. No speed, very sporadic power, no plate discipline, and abysmal in the outfield. Me and my bum shoulder would be an upgrade defensively.

zulux21

I wonder if kenny williams is going to pull a last min, no one saw that coming trade again this year lol

i mean despite my feelings towards most of the trades that he does last min like that... the reactions tend to be a blast to read lol

The Hamels deal just doesn't make any sense.

They have a lot of money devoted to a few guys. Just baffling.

How does it not make sense. They are clearing space to have a bunch of money free to go out and sign some big FAs. Dave Montgomery said the other day that he has spoken to the owners are they are willing to go over the luxury tax threshold next year. The Phils are still going to have the 3 pitchers plus Worley, Howard will be ready at the start of the season, and Utleys been saying how good his knee feels now. They are not blowing up their team at all.

harSon

Banned
Losing the competitive pick kind of sucks, not necessarily because we lose a pick considering we already have 2 in front of it, but the fact that we're losing $1.5 million of pool money. We can't really take a risk in the first two rounds of next years draft now...

Hopefully Sanchez is a change of scenery guy :/

I really hope the Pirates aren't done yet, because as it stands now, we're pretty much even or worst off than we started unless Snider and Sanchez turn things around. We've pretty much made trades for 2013 and beyond, which I'm perfectly cool with, but it'd be nice to sure up this season's team considering we're 14 games over .500, in control of the wild card spot, and within striking distance of the top of the NL Central...

We really need a bat.

BFIB

How does it not make sense. They are clearing space to have a bunch of money free to go out and sign some big FAs. Dave Montgomery said the other day that he has spoken to the owners are they are willing to go over the luxury tax threshold next year. The Phils are still going to have the 3 pitchers plus Worley, Howard will be ready at the start of the season, and Utleys been saying how good his knee feels now. They are not blowing up their team at all.

That could be, I did not hear that they are willing to go above the luxury tax. So that does make more sense at least.

zulux21

so basically the phils are finishing off the process they started in 2009 of becoming the NL's yankees... just buying up players to try to win regardless of how big the payroll gets :p

The Reds added a closer to the NL's best bullpen today, acquiring Jonathan Broxton from the Royals, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link).
I think the white sox still have a number of games left against KC, so I don't mind that trade one bit.
edit: yeah the white sox have 12 games with KC left this year lol

Pirates are also getting RHP Kyle Kaminska from the Marlins in the Sanchez trade.

Reds acquire Jonathan Broxton. No word yet on who's going to the Royals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom