• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

1. yes, IF doc and Cliff Lee bounce back. maybe they don't. where are you then? oh, no farm system to rebuild from within.. woops. 1 or 2 outfielders? guess you'll have to give lots and lots of Money to someone like a Granderson or Hamilton. if you can match the Yankees that is. seeing as your team is now saddled with the Howard and Hammels contract, they are constrained.
Who is Hammels and how are the Phillies constrained when they plan to spend over the luxury tax threshold this offseason?

Hitting coach Greg Walker said Uggla is more of a “feel” hitter than he is mechanically-oriented. So Uggla is looking for something to click.

“He feels his swing,” Walker said. “(It’s not an) analytical break it down: ‘I’m going to do this,’ ‘I’m going to do that.’ It’s more of ‘OK that feels like me. OK I’ve got it.’ And it can happen in one pitch, one at-bat. I really thought right before the All-Star break he was really making strides, so, I don’t think he’s that far away. I really don’t.”

Fire this man.

harSon

Banned
Man, if the Pirates don't win the division, I hope the other wild card team aren't the Braves. I can't take another heart breaking loss that spurs a 20 season losing streak.

rando14

Fire this man.

jblVWkfZoKr5ya.jpg

zulux21

brand new ball game... 7-7 angels/rangers... come on rangers finish off the angels... normally I wouldn't care but I would love to see the angels come into town to face the white sox after a rather depressing loss.

edit: actually i just noticed the rangers angels still have a game tomorrow... :p
ok then... pulling for an 18 inning game since the angels don't get a break before facing my whitesox ^^; (plus 18 inning games are fun to watch when it's not your team... and sometimes when it is your team lol)

jman2050

You couldnt be more wrong about this. A lot of next year will depend if Doc and Cliff rebound, but if they do they will need a 3rd baseman and 1 or 2 outfielders depending on how Dow looks the rest of this year.

The problem is the core of their team is aging. Halladay I'm confident will rebound but Lee's best days are probably behind him, Utley is looking like he can't play more than 100 games a season anymore, and Howard and Rollins weren't exceptional to begin with and will only worsen next year and beyond.

You say they wont have much to spend but they are taking Victorino, Pence, Blanton, Polanco, and Schinder off the books, their ownership has also said they are willing to go over the luxury tax threshold next year.

But they still have so much money committed to a select few aging players (+a closer) already. As I said earlier, the only team that can pull that off with little to no consequences is the Yankees. And I'm sorry, but the Phillies are not the Yankees.

I dont give a fuck about their farm system, the Phils are going to add through FA, but I have no doubt if it comes down to the deadline and they need something Amaro has some pieces he could move.

I dunno, this year's FA class seems pretty weak so far outside of Josh Hamilton. And if you splurge on Hamilton what money do you have for anyone else?

Your last point is laughable, Amaro has traded for several big time players and also done a great job of signing FAs all while building a WS winner and 5 time divison champ.

Pat Gillick was just some phantom or something?

And even if everything I say is wrong and the Phillies magically buy themselves into contention, they STILL don't have as bright of a future as the Rangers, which was my entire point in the first place.

zulux21

so swing at the ball down the middle with a 3-0 count.... or take it and try to get a game tying walk?

edit: strike 1 wasn't actually down the middle lol strike 2 was for the most part though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom