• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
The question is... who do the Pirates bean? They are going to have to throw into the clubhouse to hit a star player.

Isn't Brandon Phillips back in the lineup tomorrow? Maybe JMac could work on his ricochet abilities and take out a few Red's bullpen players.

I wouldn't mind Ludwick catching one to the temple :) I'll always hate Ryan "Get traded to the Pirates and shit the bed, sign with the Reds in the off season and beast" Ludwick

TheNatural

My Member!
Isn't Brandon Phillips back in the lineup tomorrow? Maybe JMac could work on his ricochet abilities and take out a few Red's bullpen players.

I wouldn't mind Ludwick catching one to the temple :) I'll always hate Ryan "Get traded to the Pirates and shit the bed, sign with the Reds in the off season and beast" Ludwick

Yeah and I'm the one out of line.

Maybe you'll hit him and he'll get brain damage. Hey maybe you'll put him in a coma. Wouldn't that be funny huh?

Come on blue Jays. Don't ruin this parlay losing to a rookie

Well, they just lost Brett Lawrie to injury -- tightness in his ribcage...which, knowing this team's luck, probably means he's out for two weeks. If he's actually on the DL, that means they'll be playing a starting lineup with Rasmus, Encarnacion (who's protecting a heel injury), Escobar and...Jeff Mathis. Rajai Davis. Gaaaah, this season went wrong quickly.

I just did with what St Louis record was winning the WS. They mean shit, ESPECIALLY for baseball where you have 5 different starters. STL has all of a 21 run advantage over 110 plus games. Whooptie do. They're also now 8.5 out. Maybe they beat up on teams a little more in blowouts or maybe their really bad starts aren't as really bad as others.

Either way, who cares? All that matters is record. And then once the playoffs come around? Even THAT doesn't matter.
You do realize neither of the WS seasons you're referring to has anything to do Pythag luck, right? The regular season records of those teams were pretty much in line with what their expected records were. If you want to complain about randomness of baseball in short series like the playoffs, that's a different topic entirely.

My point is that Pirates and the Reds are fairly comparable when it comes to the luck category this season so seeing one fan complain about the other team is hilarious. Especially when it's the fan of the team that's leading the division by 4.5 games.

The question is... who do the Pirates bean? They are going to have to throw into the clubhouse to hit a star player.

Well, I just said the Reds are having bullshit luck. A blown call for an inside the park HR, and the f'n pitcher getting a two-out HR. There is no way I could have anticipated that coming.

Combation of players whose WAR adds up to Joey Votto's.

harSon

Banned
So you point out a brawl that we lost the game in and still won the division? LOL. Um, ok.

And yeah sorry, I don't take kindly to a shit talking Pirates fan of all people butthurt saying our winning streak is "stupid" coming from the biggest Cinderella team in baseball with a 29th in the league OBP this year. Then crying because your best player happened to get beaned. Get over it.

You're bitter because I called the Red's winning streak stupid? It's a figure of fucking speech. I wasn't knocking them, just stating that as a Pirates fan, the streak the Reds are on is stupid. I didn't call it lucky or undeserving, but stupid. As in it's crazy, ridiculous, bananas. It's stupid.

You're the one who seems angry at an opposing team's success judging from your random hostility.

TheNatural

My Member!
You're bitter because I called the Red's winning streak stupid? It's a figure of fucking speech. I wasn't knocking them, just stating that as a Pirates fan, the streak the the Reds on is stupid. I didn't call it lucky or undeserving, but stupid. As in it's crazy, ridiculous, bananas. It's stupid.

You're the one who seems angry at an opposing team's success judging from your random hostility.

I'm not calling teams thugs, begging for someone to get hit in the head with a baseball because your star player got hit unintentionally.

dmag1223

I understand why Pirates fans are upset. It sure looked like Chapman was trying to hit him to me, and if he was, it was a shitty thing to do. The Reds should just accept their beaning and move on. That being said, saying you want people to be hit in the face and the temple is pretty out of line IMO.

And why is Pythag even being brought up here? Its not like they're doing this with smoke and mirrors (orioles). I mean they are at +75. Washington's at +76.

TheNatural

My Member!
You do realize neither of the WS seasons you're referring to has anything to do Pythag luck, right? The regular season records of those teams were pretty much in line with what their expected records were. If you want to complain about randomness of baseball in short series like the playoffs, that's a different topic entirely.

My point is that Pirates and the Reds are fairly comparable when it comes to the luck category this season so seeing one fan complain about the other team is hilarious. Especially when it's the fan of the team that's leading the division by 4.5 games.

I go by stats. If we were 20th in quality starts and 28th in OBP I would be saying the exact same thing about how the hell my team is there. Our offensive stats are still fairly mediocre, but still 2nd in the league in ERA.

We had a similar run a few years ago with Dunn, Griffey, and crew with no pitching whatsoever and I knew it would crash in September.

pgyls72v.gif

dmag1223

How so?

harSon

Banned
I'm not calling teams thugs, begging for someone to get hit in the head with a baseball because your star player got hit unintentionally.

I resorted to attacks after you came at me out of nowhere. And you obviously need to learn what sarcasm is, it's pretty obvious that my first comment about the Pirates beaning someone was a joke.

I understand why Pirates fans are upset. It sure looked like Chapman was trying to hit him to me, and if he was, it was a shitty thing to do. The Reds should just accept their beaning and move on. That being said, saying you want people to be hit in the face and the temple is pretty out of line IMO.

And why is Pythag even being brought up here? Its not like they're doing this with smoke and mirrors (orioles). I mean they are at +75. Washington's at +76.

I suppose it's out of line if you ignore the obvious sarcasm within the post, I even gave Ludwick an AKA for God's sake. Do I really have to put /joking at the end of a sentence to let people know that I really don't want someone to get hit in the temple with a baseball?

Then you better put your boy in check.

And throw away all this popcorn? Yeah right.

My Xbox RROD'd tonight. GAF is all I have left. Just came back from a job interview in DC, and was playing Fallout 3 again to see if I recognized all the places. DC is all wrong, but they got the downtown super mutants right.

TheNatural

My Member!
I resorted to attacks after you came at me out of nowhere. And you obviously need to learn what sarcasm is, it's pretty obvious that my first comment about the Pirates beaning someone was a joke.

I suppose it's out of line if you ignore the obvious sarcasm within the post, I even gave Ludwick an AKA for God's sake. Do I really have to put /joking at the end of a sentence to let people know that I really don't want someone to get hit in the temple with a baseball?

LOL I didn't come at you. I had the same "lucky bullshit" response to what the Pirates had been doing as you did to Latos going yard tonight, that's all. I didn't call your teams thugs, say 'you got your shit pushed in', throwing at temples, among other bitter words about it though.

harSon

Banned
I go by stats. If we were 20th in quality starts and 28th in OBP I would be saying the exact same thing about how the hell my team is there. Our offensive stats are still fairly mediocre, but still 2nd in the league in ERA.

We had a similar run a few years ago with Dunn, Griffey, and crew with no pitching whatsoever and I knew it would crash in September.

My issue is the fact that you're using stats from the season as a whole. Players improve, teams gel together and get better, situations change. We absolutely sucked offensively as a team in April, but June and July are a completely different story.

To disregard a team for the first month of the season, despite them improving considerably the next two months, is not exactly sound logic.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

They're both roughly 4 games ahead of their 1st order wins (expected wins based on run differential), 6 games ahead of 2nd order wins (expected wins based on Equivalent runs), 7+ games ahead of 3rd order wins (same thing as 2nd order wins but adjusted to strength of opposing teams). The only team that has outperformed their expected win numbers by a greater amount is Baltimore.

Things like bullpen and managerial decisions play into it so it's not all luck but run differential tends to correlate very strongly with win percentage.

TheNatural

My Member!
My issue is the fact that you're using stats from the season as a whole. Players improve, teams gel together and get better, situations change. We absolutely sucked offensively as a team in April, but June and July are a completely different story.

To disregard a team for the first month of the season, despite them improving considerably the next two months, is not exactly sound logic.

Um, I'm not disregarding the team right now, but it's still an overall record and overall stats for the year. If you were 10 back playing hot baseball it would be one thing, but your overall record sure doesn't correspond to overall statistics very well.

And throw away all this popcorn? Yeah right.

My Xbox RROD'd tonight. GAF is all I have left. Just came back from a job interview in DC, and was playing Fallout 3 again to see if I recognized all the places. DC is all wrong, but they got the downtown super mutants right.
How DARE you besmirch DC like that. Just because there are you underpants vending machines and moe cafes doesn't mean it sucks. I lived in the Silver Spring area and commuted to work in DC for years, nice areas.

harSon

Banned
4 years. It was so sudden. :(

Was playing tales of Phantasia (SNES) earlier, but I can't deal with that encounter rate. So, I have no idea what game I could play.

I still have a launch Xbox 360.

I want the damned thing to break so I can get a system that doesn't sound like a Diesel engine, and has an HDMI input.....

It refuses to break though, and I can't bring myself to replace something that's in perfectly working condition.

How DARE you besmirch DC like that. Just because there are you underpants vending machines and moe cafes doesn't mean it sucks. I lived in the Silver Spring area and commuted to work in DC for years, nice areas.

I thought it was an awesome city. The building height laws give it a very unique look. Best subway system I've used in the States...

Man there is a different between stupidly funny and funnily stupid.Harold reynolds trashin' Straily after two pitches sayin' he doens't have strikeout stuff. I'd take Mitch Williams, Larry Bowa, Jerry Manuel and Eric Burns any night.

harSon

Banned
Um, I'm not disregarding the team right now, but it's still an overall record and overall stats for the year. If you were 10 back playing hot baseball it would be one thing, but your overall record sure doesn't correspond to overall statistics very well.

You keep throwing around our overall OBP, but that number hasn't been indicative of our team since the first month of baseball, ie. it hasn't been indicative of our team for 2/3rds of this baseball season.

Our team has been good offensively for longer than it has been shitty. End of story.

Man there is a different between stupidly funny and funnily stupid.Harold reynolds trashin' Straily after two pitches sayin' he doens't have strikeout stuff. I'd take Mitch Williams, Larry Bowa, Jerry Manuel and Eric Burns any night.
Mitch Williams is a moron. Can't take anything he says seriously.

dmag1223

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

They're both roughly 4 games ahead of their 1st order wins (expected wins based on run differential), 6 games ahead of 2nd order wins (expected wins based on Equivalent runs), 7+ games ahead of 3rd order wins (same thing as 2nd order wins but adjusted to strength of opposing teams). The only team that has outperformed their expected win numbers by a greater amount is Baltimore.

Things like bullpen and managerial decisions play into it so it's not all luck but run differential tends to correlate very strongly with win percentage.

I see. Yeah they've been a little lucky but I don't think they're on the Pirates level. I mean Pittsburgh has a much worse run differential than Cincy, and Pittsburgh is 7 over .500 in one run games and has a perfect extra inning record. Compared to two games over in one run games and a losing record in extras with the Reds.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Starters SIERA

Reds 3.97
Pirates 4.15

Relievers SIERA

Reds 3.19
Pirates 3.53

Batting wRC+

Reds 96
Pirates 88

Fielding UZR/150, DRS, FLD

Reds -0.4, 25, 2.1
Pirates -0.4, -8, 7.9

Baserunning

Reds 4.4
Pirates 9.6

Pitching fWAR

Reds 13.5
Pirates 9.0

Position Player fWAR

Reds 18.2
Pirates 14.3

Team Adjusted Standings

Reds .543
Pirates .498

You keep throwing around our overall OBP, but that number hasn't been indicative of our team since the first month of baseball, ie. it hasn't been indicative of our team for 2/3rds of this baseball season.

Our team has been good offensively for longer than it has been shitty. End of story.
What spurred the turnaround? I remember at one point the team wRC+ was 50 - as in 50% of league average in offensive production.

harSon

Banned
What spurred the turnaround? I remember at one point the team wRC+ was 50 - as in 50% of league average in offensive production.

Our team started to finally hit while our solid starting pitching and bullpen maintained? I don't really think you can say our improved hitting since the first month is lucky either, considering we're still hitting at a considerably improved rate for 2 months now.

Where the heck are these pitches supposed to be? Dickey had Cabrera AND Denorfia struck out.

EDIT: and the umps gift the Pods a run w/o a hit. Fantastic.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Pitching / Batting Splits (SIERA / wRC+)

March/April

Reds 4.04 / 82
Pirates 3.94 / 65

May

Reds 3.62 / 92
Pirates 3.91 / 64

June

Reds 3.49 / 105
Pirates 4.09 / 111

July

Reds 3.71 / 100
Pirates 3.86 / 107

zulux21

man I wish dunn would hit more pitifully hit balls towards left.
I seriously don't get why he doesn't work on butting and when they do that extreme shift where everyone is on the right side of the field just bunt it down the line and take the free hits until they stop the shift :/

I see. Yeah they've been a little lucky but I don't think they're on the Pirates level. I mean Pittsburgh has a much worse run differential than Cincy, and Pittsburgh is 7 over .500 in one run games and has a perfect extra inning record. Compared to two games over in one run games and a losing record in extras with the Reds.
Fair enough. Also, just noticed that the Pirates have a 10-11 record in games decided by 5+ runs. That plus the edge in one-run games would lead me to believe the Pirates would be outperforming their Pythag more than the Reds are. But I guess those two-run, three-run, four-run games count too lol.

Well, they just lost Brett Lawrie to injury -- tightness in his ribcage...which, knowing this team's luck, probably means he's out for two weeks. If he's actually on the DL, that means they'll be playing a starting lineup with Rasmus, Encarnacion (who's protecting a heel injury), Escobar and...Jeff Mathis. Rajai Davis. Gaaaah, this season went wrong quickly.

Ok now I see why he was so disgusted after that at-bat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom