• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I really hate how predictable this team's shortcomings are. You know at the very least Dickey is getting a no-decision. Offense isn't doing shit when they get good pitching.

I really hate how predictable this team's shortcomings are. You know at the very least Dickey is getting a no-decision. Offense isn't doing shit when they get good pitching.
The ump jobbing him last inning didn't help him. This guy is giving up on his knuckleball and not calling it well. NOTHING is being called a strike at waist level.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yep so basically what I thought. The reds have been moderately lucky, the Pirates are preforming well beyond what they should.

Recapping some of the things that happened this year that put a dent in our pythag and why we're "lucky" now apparently:

1) Latos was absolutely, completely horrendous the first couple months this year, obviously he was going to adapt and revert to his normal form

2) Dusty in all of his infinite wisdom, stuck with that Willie Harris dead horse for the first couple of months putting that .100 OBP trash in the lineup constantly instead of calling up and using Frazier. It took about until mid May before Frazier got some PT. Also early season Marshall experiment as closer cost us a handful of extra inning games.

3) Scott Rolen is healthy - for now. Guy has had over a .413 OBP since returning after being out, only had 33 AB's from May 12 to July 8th, being out basically the entire stretch.

All this is a pretty big deal, along with guys like Homer Bailey finally seeming to get it together. This after last season when Arroyo had mono all year and was absolute dogshit, along with the team having the most losses in the majors in one run games. So year, I know all about "bad luck" - every Reds fan knows it well. This year ain't luck though.

dmag1223

Recapping some of the things that happened this year that put a dent in our pythag and why we're "lucky" now apparently:

1) Latos was absolutely, completely horrendous the first couple months this year, obviously he was going to adapt and revert to his normal form

2) Dusty in all of his infinite wisdom, stuck with that Willie Harris dead horse for the first couple of months putting that .100 OBP trash in the lineup constantly instead of calling up and using Frazier. It took about until mid May before Frazier got some PT. Also early season Marshall experiment as closer cost us a handful of extra inning games.

3) Scott Rolen is healthy - for now. Guy has had over a .413 OBP since returning after being out, only had 33 AB's from May 12 to July 8th, being out basically the entire stretch.

All this is a pretty big deal, along with guys like Homer Bailey finally seeming to get it together. This after last season when Arroyo had mono all year and was absolute dogshit, along with the team having the most losses in the majors in one run games. So year, I know all about "bad luck" - every Reds fan knows it well. This year ain't luck though.

True, and we've had our fair share of injury issues this year, especially this month. I think 2010 was kind of a lucky year for us, but the team just feels different this year. It feels more like this is for real.

harSon

Banned

You can't hold the Pirate's season averages over their heads, and then go on to say that stats aren't indicative of the Red's season as a whole because they've improved over the course of it.

You're literally making the same argument that I've been making....

I'm going to bed. I know the ending to this movie.
But the movie was good on Wednesday...

1052430_o.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
You can't hold the Pirate's season averages over their heads, and then go on to say that stats aren't indicative of the Red's season as a whole because they've improved over the course of it.

You're literally making the same argument that I've been making....

We're not in the bottom 4 in a major offensive stat either. I get teams improve, but while you were that bad offensively early in the year, you were fortunate to not be like 2-15 or something.

And David Wright with a noncompetitive AB vs. Gregerson. Grinding that bat into sawdust, completely trying to uppercut everything.

Mets PHing Jordany "Spinsanity" Valdespin for Scott Hairston, Padres respond with Huston Street. Interesting move for both teams.

Well, Mets lose 3-1 on a delayed steal, Thole dropping a ball he never cradled at home plate and no fundamentals. RA Dickey is the Sonjay Dutt of pitchers, a chance to build momentum and they play like that... geez.

Thole infuriates me at this point. If Mets had any catching prospects at all this dude would've been gone yesterday.
Some spice is nice.
I can recruit some NBA-GAFfers to join MLB-GAF.

cashman

Banned
So the Rangers are 6 games up on the angels and (likely) 4.5 games up on the A's. This is why baseball overreactions are bad.

Well, Mets lose 3-1 on a delayed steal, Thole dropping a ball he never cradled at home plate and no fundamentals. RA Dickey is the Sonjay Dutt of pitchers, a chance to build momentum and they play like that... geez.

Thole infuriates me at this point. If Mets had any catching prospects at all this dude would've been gone yesterday.

I can recruit some NBA-GAFfers to join MLB-GAF.

3GlTs.gif

zulux21

So the Rangers are 6 games up on the angels and (likely) 4.5 games up on the A's. This is why baseball overreactions are bad.

that is unless the Angels win their protest (like most of the angels fans on MLB think they should) and force the angels/white sox to play this game again... then you are only 5.5 up :p

zulux21

"I know we're filing [a report] with the league and I think it's a very clear case in our favor," Scioscia said. "The umpire set the parameter and told us that Konerko was running well inside the line. All of the umpires agreed with that. The dispute was not, 'Was he running inside the box or outside the box?' They all said he was running well inside the line."

That, according to Scioscia, put Konerko directly in the throwing lane of Iannetta.

"[Second-base umpire and crew chief] Dana Demuth told me that's not the argument," Scioscia said of Konerko possibly being outside the baseline. "He was inside the line, which makes it a virtual impossibility for him not to affect the throw from Iannetta and puts him in the lane of Iannetta trying to throw to first base very clearly. It's quite obvious. They put him there. They said he was inside the line, which puts him in jeopardy, which affects the throwing lane of our catcher. They're the ones who set those parameters. Once they set those parameters, Konerko is out."

The umpiring crew actually huddled twice to discuss the situation before ruling Konerko safe. "[Ianetta] threw wild, Konerko going down to first was no way interfering with the play at first," DeMuth told The Associated Press. "Konerko no way interfered with the play at first and that was our decision. It doesn't matter where he is running."

Scioscia took issue with the umpires saying they had discretion to rule Konerko out or safe at that point.

"It's a physical impossibility for [Konerko], with the throw coming from home plate to first base, for him not to be in that throwing lane," Scioscia said. "It is physically impossible and that's where the discretion evaporates."

"That's why I felt the protest was warranted," Scioscia said. "It's a totally different inning [if Konerko is out]. Everybody goes back. The runners go back to second, it's a double play and you've got first and second, two outs and no runs in ... and it's 15 pitches less that [Zack Greinke] has to throw."

If the Commissioner's Office rules in favor of the Angels, the game would have to be replayed from that point.

Scioscia seems sure his protest will go in the angels favor, anyone here actually agree with that thought? I personally don't see them overturning the game.

rekameohs

Banned
Scioscia seems sure his protest will go in the angels favor, anyone here actually agree with that thought? I personally don't see them overturning the game.

They're not overturning anything. Just saw the video, and he probably should have been called out. Kind of coincidental that it happened 2 days after the same thing happened in the Mets/Giants game and he was called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom