• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, probably a little off putting on my part to comapre to the Phils, but I just hate southern California with a passion. I don't ever want to see a Dodgers or an Angels fan (if they ever get any) smile.

The Yankees have remained competitive for a long time buy spending to fill holes as they pop up. I do agree with you about not wanting to see the Dodgers be good, I hate seeing that team in first place and the stadium only 3/4 full at best.

harSon

Banned
That's actually a huge let down from what I was reading. That was pretty tame shit. I've probably had a dozen worse tirades this season on Dusty Baker and the Reds have the best record in baseball.

To be fair, Cutch is always calm, collected and all smiles.

rekameohs

Banned
latos.gif

harSon?

harSon

Banned
Yeah McCutchen didn't have the best of days yesterday. I would be pissed off too.

He's pissed off because he got hit with a 102 mph fastball for no reason, one that was aimed squarely at his head. Something like that can effect this season, or worst case scenario, his career.

Chapman had a 3 run lead and 2 outs with nobody on base in the 9th inning, so even if the bean wasn't on purpose (and we all know it was considering he was in control of every other pitch), there's no point in trying to back someone off the plate considering he already had complete control of the situation.

It was just shit sportsmanship on Chapman's part, and McCutchen screwing up in the outfield once isn't going to change that fact.

When the Marlins acquired Carlos Lee on July 4, they got the Astros to pay all of Lee's remaining money owed to him this season except for the prorated Major League minimum at the time. That meant the Marlins would only be paying Lee about $300,000. The Astros would foot what was left of the remaining $18.2 million.

At the trade deadline after the Marlins waved the white flag for the season, they attempted to spin Lee. They had a deal in place hours before the trade deadline with the Yankees that would send Lee to The Bronx in exchange for cash considerations. The Yankees were essentially going to buy Lee's contract for $1 million.

What would have made this deal humorous is that the tightwad Marlins would have actually made a profit on Lee's contract of about $700,000.

Unfortunate for Loria and pals, the deal died when Lee invoked his limited no-trade clause to block the deal; the second time he's done so this season. While still with the Astros, Lee earlier used his powers to kill a trade to the Dodgers in late-June. He was dealt to the Marlins a few days later. Since the Marlins were not on his list, he had no choice but to take his talents to South Beach.

When Lee signed his ill-conceived 6-year, $100 million deal with the Astros on November 27, 2006, he agreed to forefit the 10/5 no-trade rights he would have received this season in exchange for a personalized list of 14 teams he could not be traded to without his permission. Obviously, the Dodgers and Yankees were on this list. The Marlins were not.

After Lee killed the Yankees deal, the Marlins were close with the Orioles on a deal for Lee. Lee would have had no choice but to move again since the Orioles are also not on his list. However, the Orioles would not give the Marlins a deal anywhere near as beneficial as the Yankees were.

The deadline passed with Lee staying put in Miami, but he has almost assuredly been placed on revocable trade waivers, so there's a chance he could still be on the move.

You know Loria probably got an erection when he realized he could make a profit on Lee.

rando14

Pathetic.

Yeah, an offense 1st in slugging, 4th in runs and 3rd in obp must really suck! It's not like they're against a cy young winner or anything.

See, I could have said the same thing yesterday vs Sabathia and it would have made sense because the M's offense actually sucks.

dmag1223

He's pissed off because he got hit with a 102 mph fastball for no reason, one that was aimed squarely at his head. Something like that can effect this season, or worst case scenario, his career.

Chapman had a 3 run lead and 2 outs with nobody on base in the 9th inning, so even if the bean wasn't on purpose (and we all know it was considering he was in control of every other pitch), there's no point in trying to back someone off the plate considering he already had complete control of the situation.

It was just shit sportsmanship on Chapman's part, and McCutchen screwing up in the outfield once isn't going to change that fact.
Chapman was not "aiming at his head" dude. Trying to come inside, yeah probably. Players get hit all the time. Pirates fans need to get over it. I expect some retailiation because they want to protect their star player, and thats fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom