• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

F.P. is an idiot and his comment made no sense, but I think it's pretty clear that the Phillies aren't going to keep selling out their stadium when they don't have the wins to back it up. IIRC, attendance usually lags around a season behind team results, since the size of the season ticket base is such a big contributor and they only make decisions once a year. Don't get me wrong, I think the Phillies have built up enough goodwill that they still outdraw the Nats next year, but if they miss the playoffs two years in a row I think a lot of people are going to opt to watch them on T.V.

I just don't see the Phillies losing attendance next season. They are going to spend over the luxury tax threshold. The Phillies have a HUGE TV contract coming up and there are some rumors that they will try to create their own station like the YES network or NESN. The Phillies have the worst record in baseball and are still close to a sellout these past few nights after selling out every home game including the playoffs since 2009. I don't see a situation in the next five years that the Phillies won't be in the top 5 teams in attendance.

It was a stupid joke, but from reading Washington papers, their press seems to think the Phillies only selling 44K+ tickets against the Braves after selling your entire starting outfield is some turning point in the National League East. I just can't imagine the Phillies falling that far any time soon.

sangreal

big question is when the red sox sellout streak will officially end since they've been cooking the books for awhile (selling standing room tickets to replace expensive unsold seats, etc)

Jangocube

Banned
Manny Machado got called up. Making his debut tomorrow. Crazy shit.

Well, at least the Orioles front office is trying this year. Not sure if this is the best move, but at least it's something. Supposedly gonna start at 3rd base.

So damn close in the Wild Card race right now and the Stankees will choke, per usual.

McNei1y

Well, at least the Orioles front office is trying this year. Not sure if this is the best move, but at least it's something. Supposedly gonna start at 3rd base.

So damn close in the Wild Card race right now and the Stankees will choke, per usual.

I will go nuts if both beltway teams make the playoffs.

Another note, baseball wives are hot. It is known.

McNei1y

Me too brotha, me too. Nationals have a very good chance, the O's, eh, hopefully we can keep winning the close ones.

I'm excited to see Machado. Definitely one of those moves that you question at first but come gametime, you forget all about it.

If they both make it, my entire October will be a shit show. I'll be going out to watch both games lol. I've waited for this forever. Still time to tell but I'm getting excited.

Puddles

Banned
I might have come around on Shane Victorino today.

There was a time when I would have loved nothing more than to put him in a steel-cage match with a velociraptor (Jurassic Park-style, not the stupid feathered chickens that science has come up with), but he basically won the game for us today. Plus it feels absolutely amazing to have a leadoff hitter with an OBP over .300. I can only imagine what Angels fans must feel like. Too bad they're still somehow 3rd in that division even with the offense they have.

Puddles

Banned
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Angels this season, but damn, between Trumbo, Trout, and a resurgent Pujols, they're pretty strong on offense. If they just had a hitting catcher like Mike Napoli, they'd be unstoppable.

I might have come around on Shane Victorino today.

There was a time when I would have loved nothing more than to put him in a steel-cage match with a velociraptor (Jurassic Park-style, not the stupid feathered chickens that science has come up with), but he basically won the game for us today. Plus it feels absolutely amazing to have a leadoff hitter with an OBP over .300. I can only imagine what Angels fans must feel like. Too bad they're still somehow 3rd in that division even with the offense they have.

They're only in third because of their wretched start.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
randy-wolf.gif

harSon

Banned
Pirates' offense more than McCutchen
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/27819/pirates-offense-more-than-mccutchen
Fortunately for the Bucs, things have changed for the better on offense since the first two months, and not just because the bats warmed up with the weather. Their 7-6 win over the Diamondbacks on Wednesday night was the latest reflection of what's going on. In their 60 games since that slow start, the Pirates have scored 5.2 runs per game, a league-leading clip that would outpace even the Cardinals.

Dat luck

Fox318

well, that was a disastrous call. They didn't even bash him for calling it foul

on the other hand, I don't see why they can't pronounce McGehee (mcgee)

I mean I don't think Steerling does a bad job on his homerun calls. but I've been in the car listing to the game and have absolutely no idea what is going on.

The postseason schedule has been released.

The two Wild Card games will be played on Friday, October 5 on TBS. Division series begins the next day. Wild Card winners actually get to play the first two LDS games at home in a 2-3 format. It will go back to the normal 2-2-1 format next year.

The ALCS Game 1 starts the day after the final ALDS Game 5, lol.

The postseason schedule has been released.

The two Wild Card games will be played on Friday, October 5 on TBS. Division series begins the next day. Wild Card winners actually get to play the first two LDS games at home in a 2-3 format. It will go back to the normal 2-2-1 format next year.

The ALCS Game 1 starts the day after the final ALDS Game 5, lol.

Damn not even one day in between? Bud being Bud.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I appreciate the gesture but they should be fining these guys a 10k minimum. It's about time they got serious on trying to shorten the game.

zulux21

damn the yankees are old... they just put up the stat that the team is on average 31 years and 191 days old lol...
mlb average age is 28.52 years old lol
oldest person on the Astros is Chris Snyder at 31.5 years old lol (less than the yankees average)

Talon

Is it easy to park in Target Field? I'm flying into Minnesota for business on Monday and want to catch the Tigers - Twins game.

Here's hoping to find Minnesota fans.

sangreal

how about enforcing the time between pitches rule

I have no interest in shortening games though. I enjoy baseball. Watching Beckett stand there for 2 minutes every pitch is annoying though

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Is it easy to park in Target Field? I'm flying into Minnesota for business on Monday and want to catch the Tigers - Twins game.

Here's hoping to find Minnesota fans.
There's a shuttle service that goes from a Park & Ride a couple miles West of downtown to & from the field for $5.25 round trip. I've always done that when I go to games. Not sure if you're staying downtown or in the 'burbs, but the shuttle has been awesome every time I went down there. There's a lot of parking ramps downtown, and you can ride the light rail to one of the gates if you don't want to walk. Parking in the Target Center ramp would probably be a pain. Expensive and hard as hell to get out of after an event (it took 45 minutes for me to get out of the ramp after a show downtown once, ugh). There's a pretty handy guide on the Twins' website with all the transportation options which would probably help.

My suggestions when you're there:

• Get seats on the 3rd base side of the field so you can see the downtown skyline.
• Definitely get a Kramarczuk's sausage.
• If you like beer, get something from the Surly cart.
• If you feel like spending extra cash, try to nab Legends Club seats. I got a pair for $35/seat last week. The private concourse & private bathrooms are worth the price of the ticket alone, not to mention the far more comfortable seats and great views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom