• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn the Phillies are only 1 GB the Mets now. What a turn around it has been since they got their team back.

I would attribute that more to the Mets and Marlins playing lower to the Phillies level. They are still laughably far away from the Braves, Nationals, and Wild Card #2.

I'm conflicted with a win like this against the pirates. I like their story this year.

On the other hand ... A nice win that puts pressure on the giants.

Puddles

Banned
Nice win with 8 shutout innings for Billingsley. He's gotten his ERA down into the mid-3's, which is about where I think his ceiling is (I used to fancy him as a future ace, but I've given up on that dream). And the offense today, goddamn. Love that five run 9th with RBIs from our 3-4-5 guys.

Hanley Ramirez and Shane Victorino have been absolutely huge upgrades. Victorino, in particular, is such an improvement over Dee Gordon or Tony Gwynn Jr. at the leadoff spot that it's like a completely different team.

1 game back from the two WC spots

Don't think we're going to get the division unless we win at least 5 of 6 in the remaining head-to-head games
or if the Reds want to do their best 2011 Braves impression

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
This makes me wonder if I would grow to like Victorino if he was signed to play center for the Braves next year...

hahaha nah no fucking way

TheNatural

My Member!
Attention Red's Fans:

You're not allowed to say your team is sucking alongside the Pirates when you're on a 5 game winning streak, 23-8 since the All-Star break and have the 2nd best record in all of baseball.

Next time I say the Pirates are sucking, either nod in agreement or don't say anything.

Well like I've said before, you've had a pretty fortunate run with your stats. And your ownership while being in the hunt have decided to make no major trades and refuse to add salary.

RSVP your complains to ownership in the offseason and maybe they'll spend some of that luxury tax welfare money on some help for McCutchen.

Askani

It paid off. Supporting my team, and hoping and praying for them. All my hard work...

The team finally came together...

What a glorious payoff. We are out of the basement in our division again. We're only 13 games out of first place. We're no longer the worst team in the AL. We're now the 5th worst team in baseball instead of the 4th. It was all worth it. A bright and shiny new day has dawned in KC. This...is Our Time.

Bleh...

Puddles

Banned
Is Victorino a free agent? Wouldn't mind seeing the Dodgers re-sign him.

If Mattingly would just bat A.J. Ellis 2nd instead of 8th, we'd have a 1-2-3-4-5 that few, if any, teams could match.

jakncoke

Banned
Phillies have won 7 of their 10 series since the All Star break. They are definitely playing better and that is also with them trading Blanton, Pence, and Victorino.

Mets are like 9-21 in their last 30. Also this turn around has led to nothing lol, you're 18 out of your division, 10 games back from the wc with 46 to go :me

jman2050

Phillies have won 7 of their 10 series since the All Star break. They are definitely playing better and that is also with them trading Blanton, Pence, and Victorino.

Congratulations, your team is playing about as well as it played in the month of May since the break and is an astounding 17-12 in that time frame. What a turnaround!

Mets are like 9-21 in their last 30. Also this turn around has led to nothing lol, you're 18 out of your division, 10 games back from the wc with 46 to go :me

That is true it is just nice to see them play better now that they have their big pieces back. Hopefully they finish this season strong and come out next year and pick up where they left off. Also if I was you I wouldnt be laughing about teams missing the playoffs.

Meier

I thought Kuroda didn't want to resign with them?

Kuroda was happy in LA and wanted to resign. The reason the Dodgers did not resign him is a.) Ned Colletti and b.) Frank McCourt was poor as fuck and refused to spend any money. The Dodgers wanted him to take a significant paycut (up to 50%) and he didn't have a reason to do so. He was on $12m last season so he did take a slight one from the Yankees but it was still relatively minor.

Edit: Found an article from January that explains the situation: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dod...-adieu-as-hiroki-kuroda-signs-with-yanks.html

jman2050

Kuroda was happy in LA and wanted to resign. The reason the Dodgers did not resign him is a.) Ned Colletti and b.) Frank McCourt was poor as fuck and refused to spend any money. The Dodgers wanted him to take a significant paycut (up to 50%) and he didn't have a reason to do so. He was on $12m last season so he did take a slight one from the Yankees but it was still relatively minor.

Ah, I see. Kinda crazy though that no one else paid much more for him. $10mil for one year is at worst fair market value.

Meier

Loney being as awful as he is (and LA having no upgrades internally) makes me think that the Red Sox can probably get the Dodgers to rescue them from Adrian Gonzalez' contract this offseason.

Every year Paul Konerko has an amazing season (which is always), I shed a little tear. At least Jeff Shaw ended up having a good few seasons with us but hot damn.. :( I would be a-okay taking Gonzalez off their hands.

Ah, I see. Kinda crazy though that no one else paid much more for him. $10mil for one year is at worst fair market value.

Yeah I was super disappointed when it happened. Praised it quite a bit when the Yankees signed him as Kuroda would have been a perennial 20-winner if he were on a team with any semblance of offense the past number of years.

That is true it is just nice to see them play better now that they have their big pieces back. Hopefully they finish this season strong and come out next year and pick up where they left off. Also if I was you I wouldnt be laughing about teams missing the playoffs.

0NZO4.gif

Puddles

Banned
Every year Paul Konerko has an amazing season (which is always), I shed a little tear. At least Jeff Shaw ended up having a good few seasons with us but hot damn.. :( I would be a-okay taking Gonzalez off their hands.

This team with a power-hitting 1B would be an absolute force.

Yeah I was super disappointed when it happened. Praised it quite a bit when the Yankees signed him as Kuroda would have been a perennial 20-winner if he were on a team with any semblance of offense the past number of years.

Same here. I honestly couldn't believe we cheaped out when it came to the guy who was our 2nd best pitcher last year, especially since this exact same team with Kuroda would be a potential WS contender.

Loney would have been gone had Carlos Lee not blocked the trade. Can't imagine the Dodgers if they had Hanley, Victorino, and Lee. Lee's hit about .290 since going to the Marlins and done very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom