• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not a Boston Fan so I might be speaking out of place.

I've never been a big Bobby V fan. I just never thought he was THAT great of a manager especially when he was with the Mets. I just never saw the skills that other people I guess have. I always thought it felt like one of those deals where after he was out of coaching for a few years that is status sort of over bloomed.

That being said IF that report is true about like 17 Red Sox players going to management and basically saying we want him out and don't want to play for him ect... well fuck those guys. You guys had a good thing going, but then from all accounts, and then decided to take advantage both in the club house with the antics and the lackadaisical attitude on the field. It showed with the epic collapse last season too.

I might not like Bobby V and they might not either, but fuck them going to management mid season to bitch when they put themselves in this position by taking advantage of the previous situation and not performing both last year and this.

Puddles

Banned
He should be cut right now.

What makes me saddest is how many moves we didn't make because people thought Loney would pan out. He dominated AAA. He had a .901 OPS in 48 games in 2006 and a .919 OPS in 96 games in 2007. Only 15 HRs, and a BABIP that made you a bit cautious, but he still put up a .380 OBP, and I thought 96 games was a big enough sample size, especially since he'd done so well in two consecutive seasons.

At the end of 2007, I was projecting Loney as a 20-25 HR guy who would hit between .290 and .320 every season, hit lots of doubles, and put up an OBP around .390 and an OPS of at least .850, hopefully .900. I had pipe dreams of him developing 30 HR power and OPSing above .900 every season.

I was so, so wrong.

We could have packaged him in a trade for a real 1B, and the team would be so much better today.

Here's an article from 2006 that could make Dodgers fans cry: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/oct/11/sports/sp-plaschke11

Tighten your batting gloves. Tap your toes. Adjust your wrist band. Dig in and listen.

The guy who helped lift up the Dodgers is the same guy who could drag them down.

The guy who pulled fans to their feet is the same guy who could bring them to their knees.

Only two days into their winter, and the answer to the Dodgers' biggest question is already clear, and concise, and contracted.

Don't.

Don't re-sign Nomar Garciaparra.

Don't block the development of James Loney.

The kid's ready. He's Russell Martin ready. He was sent down twice this summer, and returned better each time.

He was lost in the early season swoon over Martin, Jonathan Broxton, Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp, but look at his numbers now.

In the season's last two months, he batted .328 with four homers and 15 RBIs in 58 at-bats.

In his 20 starts at first base, the Dodgers were 15-5.

And, oh yeah, he led the Dodgers in postseason RBIs with three.

"None of this means James is the chosen one, or he's the man, or anything like that," Colletti said. "But I told him, this is a game of adjustments, and I really like the way he went down to the minors and came back better each time."

What makes me saddest is how many moves we didn't make because people thought Loney would pan out. He dominated AAA. He had a .901 OPS in 48 games in 2006 and a .919 OPS in 96 games in 2007. Only 15 HRs, and a BABIP that made you a bit cautious, but he still put up a .380 OBP, and I thought 96 games was a big enough sample size, especially since he'd done so well in two consecutive seasons.

At the end of 2007, I was projecting Loney as a 20-25 HR guy who would hit between .290 and .320 every season, hit lots of doubles, and put up an OBP around .390 and an OPS of at least .850, hopefully .900. I had pipe dreams of him developing 30 HR power and OPSing above .900 every season.

I was so, so wrong.

We could have packaged him in a trade for a real 1B, and the team would be so much better today.

I don't think anyone wanted him...He's got very little value. IMO

Watch him next year be an All Star some where else

clemenx

Banned
I'd be surprised if Loney is more than a bench guy anywhere. How he's been able to to stay a 1B regular for 5 seasons is beyond me, any random 1B FA would have probably been better. Loney must be the luckiest person ever.

Puddles

Banned
I'd be surprised if Loney is more than a bench guy anywhere. How he's been able to to stay a 1B regular for 5 seasons is beyond me, any random 1B FA would have probably been better. Loney must be the luckiest person ever.

He was actually good in 2006 and 2007. Then he regressed, but for at least 2 years, people thought he could regain his old stroke. I'm not sure how he kept a job past 2010 though. 3 shit years should have been enough for the front office.

It looks like Loney is getting shafted in the BABIP department this year but the declining walk rate and the nearly non-existent power numbers (less than 3% of his flyballs clear the fence?!) are really concerning, considering his position. It would be one heckuva turnaround if he became an AS for another team.

I'm not a Boston Fan so I might be speaking out of place.

I've never been a big Bobby V fan. I just never thought he was THAT great of a manager especially when he was with the Mets. I just never saw the skills that other people I guess have. I always thought it felt like one of those deals where after he was out of coaching for a few years that is status sort of over bloomed.

That being said IF that report is true about like 17 Red Sox players going to management and basically saying we want him out and don't want to play for him ect... well fuck those guys. You guys had a good thing going, but then from all accounts, and then decided to take advantage both in the club house with the antics and the lackadaisical attitude on the field. It showed with the epic collapse last season too.

I might not like Bobby V and they might not either, but fuck them going to management mid season to bitch when they put themselves in this position by taking advantage of the previous situation and not performing both last year and this.
As a Red Sox fan, I can tell you most of the fans I know feel the same way. Bobby V is not the issue, he's had his ups and downs, but I don't think he's been egregiously terrible or anything. The players are unreal. Gonzalez signs a big deal but clearly does not want to be here, his idea of leadership is to bitch constantly about any and everything. They should have dealt him to the Dodgers when they had the chance. Trust me, people in Boston fucking hate this team, and outside of the first month or so of the season, almost all that hatred is directly at the crybaby players.

If Im Washington, i would try and skip some starts here and there, now that the total innings limit is 180.

I heard Buster Olney talking the other day about how badly the Nats have managed his innings this year. He said there was a few times where they could have skipped him in the rotation due to off days without anyone else having to pitch on short rest, and there was multiple times that they could have pulled him from games sooner with big leads. It almost seems like they werent thinking about the playoffs earlier in the season and now they are kind of stuck.

Meier

Loney at least used to get us a decent number of RBIs despite his anemic HR power.. but the past few seasons that has mostly disappeared as well. The Dodgers have been in such dire straights at the corners for so long.

I can't quite comprehend how there hasn't been a legitimate option from the farm system (and if there has, why they were traded away) in either position for the past ~5 years. We relied on Old Man Blake for far too long and then tried to replace him with Uribe? Just insanity. Ned Colletti is going to be the death of me.

Meier

Just noticed that Yasiel Puig has moved up from Rookie ball to A. I wonder if we'll see him get called up in September? Or if they'll just keep him in the minors for the rest of the season and wait until Spring Training to give him a shot. Can't wait to see this guy play.

TheFatOne

I'm really enjoying the Red Sox imploding this season. The sad part is that management won't really change anything. They just want the money machine to keep rolling. Bobby Valentine will be fired, and most of the players will return. Maybe people will actually stop going to games next season or at the end of this season. That's the only way this management will do anything.

I'm really enjoying the Red Sox imploding this season. The sad part is that management won't really change anything. They just want the money machine to keep rolling. Bobby Valentine will be fired, and most of the players will return. Maybe people will actually stop going to games next season or at the end of this season. That's the only way this management will do anything.

What can the owners do? They cant get rid of all the players, especially when its 17 of them and a bunch of them have contracts that dont allow them to be traded. They have no real choice but to get a new manager and hope that things right themselves next year.

TheFatOne

What can the owners do? They cant get rid of all the players, especially when its 17 of them and a bunch of them have contracts that dont allow them to be traded. They have no real choice but to get a new manager and hope that things right themselves next year.

After last season you had to get rid of Josh Beckett, and John Lackey even if you have to eat most of the costs. All the local reports have shown that Lackey and Beckett have been the two ring leaders as far as the pitchers go. Lackey still has some influence with the team, and even travels with them. Now we know just how dysfunctional this team truly is, but after last season Beckett and Lackey had to go. Right now there is only a handful of players I would keep. Everyone else I would consider trading in the off season, and try to rebuild this team. Also this season truly shows what a fraud Dustin Pedroia is. Gonzalez is another fraud on this team.

Sanjuro

After last season you had to get rid of Josh Beckett, and John Lackey even if you have to eat most of the costs. All the local reports have shown that Lackey and Beckett have been the two ring leaders as far as the pitchers go. Lackey still has some influence with the team, and even travels with them. Now we know just how dysfunctional this team truly is, but after last season Beckett and Lackey had to go. Right now there is only a handful of players I would keep. Everyone else I would consider trading in the off season, and try to rebuild this team. Also this season truly shows what a fraud Dustin Pedroia is. Gonzalez is another fraud on this team.

Hi Felger!

They missed the playoffs by 1 game last year, no way could they just blow it up and give away pitchers. They tried to change the culture by bringing in a manager that they thought would call guys out and get on them for being soft. It totally blew up, and Bobby V will be gone, maybe they trade some guys this off season but I dont see them blowing things up and starting over.

Sanjuro

And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.

There is no way they can possibly just blow up this team, but if any team can it's the Boston Red Sox. Problem is we are stuck with a team where several components simply aren't that good anymore.

We don't have anything resembling a working rotation. I've been very pleased by Buchholz's progression and Doubront has proven to be a solid back of the rotation guy.

We don't have a closer. I'm hoping they boot Aceves out of the closing spot, give Bailey as many opportunities possible for the remainder of the season.

Offensively and defensively, we're fine, but you have a few guys now that you are questioning. If any of these dramatics hadn't happened, Youkilis would still have a job.

Right now it's certainly interesting. I'm still enjoying heading to the ballpark without spending a small fortune for once.

I heard Buster Olney talking the other day about how badly the Nats have managed his innings this year. He said there was a few times where they could have skipped him in the rotation due to off days without anyone else having to pitch on short rest, and there was multiple times that they could have pulled him from games sooner with big leads. It almost seems like they werent thinking about the playoffs earlier in the season and now they are kind of stuck.

They have 3 off-days still in August (8/16, 8/23, 8/27) and Davey is refusing to adjust the rotation to skip Strasburg around.

turnbuckle

God damn, Max Scherzer touching 99 mph today. If he could keep the ball in the park and we could field the ball he'd be pretty damned good.

178 punchouts in 137.2 innings; 11.6 K/9, 3.3 BB/9

MLB.com is hyping the Strasburg-Lincecum matchup as if it's not going to end up as Lincecum imploding after 2 innings and Strasburg hitting the showers after 75 pitches so he doesn't get ouchies.

harSon

Banned
Well like I've said before, you've had a pretty fortunate run with your stats. And your ownership while being in the hunt have decided to make no major trades and refuse to add salary.

RSVP your complains to ownership in the offseason and maybe they'll spend some of that luxury tax welfare money on some help for McCutchen.

How is this a response to the post you quoted? It literally has nothing to do with anything I said.

And to be fair, it's not like the Red's set the league on fire with their trades before the deadline. Considering their roster was overachieving as well (and still is), their trade for a bullpen arm was more half-assed than what the Pirates did.

Also, the Reds are in the bottom half of the MLB's payroll bro.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He should have stuck to Soy Milk.

Seriously can't believe this shit. Explains how he went from a total lazy fatass to what he is now though I guess.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom