• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys are getting caught cheating by the program.

Why the fuck do people want to change the program again? Because it actually works?

Because clearly players dont give enough of a shit about being caught? It's supposed to deter players entirely, not just pick cheaters off after three months like overgrown weeds.

Either legalize all this shit or kick cheaters out for two or three years on first offense.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Because clearly players dont give enough of a shit about being caught? It's supposed to deter players entirely, not just pick cheaters off after three months like overgrown weeds.

Either legalize all this shit or kick cheaters out for two or three years on first offense.

The point is false positives and extending circumstances DO happen, everybody saw that with the Ryan Braun case.

Melky Cabrera was willing to throw away millions in salary this year, he won't see a paycheck for the rest of the season, and he cost himself tens of millions in free agency. If the suspension was 50 games or if it was a full season would it matter? He still would have done the same moronic shit he did.

Cheaters don't care what the punishments are because they think they can cheat the system and NOT get caught. You really think a shithead like Melky Cabrera is going to do a cost benefit analysis before he's putting needles in his ass? If he had any brains at all he would have been pushing for an extension last offseason (the one change I'd actually agree with is some kind of void for contracts) and then stopped doing roids, if he was doing them back then.

The current system already punishes the player greatly and it punishes the team for having said player. There isn't really any need to change it.

The point is false positives and extending circumstances DO happen, everybody saw that with the Ryan Braun case.

Melky Cabrera was willing to throw away millions in salary this year, he won't see a paycheck for the rest of the season, and he cost himself tens of millions in free agency. If the suspension was 50 games or if it was a full season would it matter? He still would have done the same moronic shit he did.

Cheaters don't care what the punishments are because they think they can cheat the system and NOT get caught. You really think a shithead like Melky Cabrera is going to do a cost benefit analysis before he's putting needles in his ass? If he had any brains at all he would have been pushing for an extension last offseason (the one change I'd actually agree with is some kind of void for contracts) and then stopped doing roids, if he was doing them back then.

The current system already punishes the player greatly and it punishes the team for having said player. There isn't really any need to change it.

He didnt cost himself tens of millions--he wasn't going to get that without juicing. Now he'll just sign for regular Melky money. What was the downside for him? The loss of his non existent reputation? Dat lucrative Melkman endorsement money?

harSon

Banned
Exactly. The system is working perfectly. Cheaters are getting caught and the appeals process is exonerating the innocent. Can't beat it.

Bullshit. Dude had higher HGH levels than Bain from Batman.

And these Bay Area bannings are sooo fucking good, fuck Bay Area sports teams. Hopefully the Raiders, Niners, Sharks and Warriors follow suit.

Exactly. The system is working perfectly. Cheaters are getting caught and the appeals process is exonerating the innocent. Can't beat it.

Yeah, if by exoneration you mean "wiggling out of a ban by attacking handling procedures rather than test results," sure.

The reason people are concerned about the recent bans isn't because the testing procedures are working, it's that the punishment for first offenders isn't severe enough. You can't say that aggressive drug testing is vital to the integrity of the game but only ban a player for less than 1/3 of a season for a first offense. With all the talk of masking agents that hide doping, you would think that MLB would disincentivize doping by making first offenses especially punitive given that there are currently ways to cheat the tests.

Colon must have been trying a new edible form of steroids.

In tears. Bravo.

eznark

Banned

And these Bay Area bannings are sooo fucking good, fuck Bay Area sports teams. Hopefully the Raiders, Niners, Sharks and Warriors follow suit.

*whisper* pssssst, this slump is a down cycle. Might want to chill. *whisper*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I believe Ryan Braun was innocent.

I was told that anybody doing steroids would improve their OPS by 200 points. If Braun really was on the juice then why are his numbers just as good this season as they were last season?

The numbers speak for themselves!

dvdjamm

It's fucking embarrassing that Victor Conte is still working with athletics,since he is based in the Bay Area...1st Melky,now Colon...coincidence? Before that,Mota

NYCrooner

I'm fine with a "one and done" approach to the drug policy in baseball. The game has been tarnished enough and anyone who has the nerve to think they can outsmart the policy should never play in the majors again. I don't care who you are. It's time to put the fear of God in this assholes.

Gannd

Banned
I'm fine with a "one and done" approach to the drug policy in baseball. The game has been tarnished enough and anyone who has the nerve to think they can outsmart the policy should never play in the majors again. I don't care who you are. It's time to put the fear of God in this assholes.

Never will happen the player's union is too strong.

I'm just happy the a's have a deep pitching staff. sucks they had a cheater.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This is so ridiculous. Drug testing is not a failure proof process, one that definitely not so much that you throw out a player for a life for a failed test. Look at what happened with the nfl and the starcaps case. The union would never allow it and nor should they.

Sanjuro

I think the current policy is great. The game has only been tarnished for the sports writers/commentators and the gullible fans who buy into what they're selling.

Lol it would take a Pittsburgh fan to say something so shallow.

NYCrooner

This is so ridiculous. Drug testing is not a failure proof process, one that definitely not so much that you throw out a player for a life for a failed test. Look at what happened with the nfl and the starcaps case. The union would never allow it and nor should they.

Come on, outside of Braun and Clemens who were both let off the hook, what players have been "wrongfully accused"? They all end up coming around at some point and admitting to it. Hey if you can prove your innocence or expose a technicality you are back in the league but until then you're a cheating piece of shit that doesn't belong in the game. Sorry man but seeing the great records of yesteryear being eclipsed by current guys who had the edge just doesn't sit well with me. I was guilty of enjoying the Mcgwire/Sosa chase like everyone else but when revelations of drug use starting popping up, I lost all respect. Regardless, I understand that the union would never let it happen.

eznark

Banned

francoeur_si.jpg

eznark

Banned
Was Frenchy projected to be a Trout type player? I thought scouts always found lots of holes in his game.

I just like that SI went above and beyond with The SuperNatural for this one.

lol, I didn't scroll down. Apparently that wasn't a very original thought I had.

harSon

Banned
Lol it would take a Pittsburgh fan to say something so shallow.

My Bay Area hatred is well earned. Moving from Pittsburgh to San Jose, and being the odd one out in terms of sports fandom, has always resulted in heated rivalries between me and my peers :) And a lot of your fan's tendency to flip between the As and Giants or Raiders and Niners depending on which team is doing well at the time, always rubbed me the wrong way. Pick a team and stick with it!

My Bay Area hatred is well earned. Moving from Pittsburgh to San Jose, and being the odd one out in terms of sports fandom, has always resulted in heated rivalries between me and my peers :) And a lot of your fan's tendency to flip between the As and Giants or Raiders and Niners depending on which team is doing well at the time, always rubbed me the wrong way. Pick a team and stick with it!

Ok ok I hate that as well. Oakland fans and SF fans shouldn't intermingle. I see A's and Giants fans flip more than football fans. Niner and Raider fans just fight each other.

Edit: How can you complain about doping when your team has A-Fraud on it?

Apparently Davey just said he expects Strasburg to start 2-3 more times, if they stick with the current schedule that means 8/28 @MIA, 9/2 vs. STL, and possibly 9/7 vs. MIA. If he just get two more starts and he pitches 6 innings each time he will end with 157.1 IP. 163.1 IP if he goes three more starts. If he pitches in three more games he will miss four September starts, and make 28 total starts for the season.

EDIT: Nevermind, now it seems like Davey said he will need someone for the LAST 2-3 starts. So he should make about 4-5 more starts.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Apparently Davey just said he expects Strasburg to start 2-3 more times, if they stick with the current schedule that means 8/28 @MIA, 9/2 vs. STL, and possibly 9/7 vs. MIA. If he just get two more starts and he pitches 6 innings each time he will end with 157.1 IP. 163.1 IP if he goes three more starts. If he pitches in three more games he will miss four September starts, and make 28 total starts for the season.

EDIT: Nevermind, now it seems like Davey said he will need someone for the LAST 2-3 starts. So he should make about 4-5 more starts.

This is going to turn into a 220 IP inning limit.

Was Frenchy projected to be a Trout type player? I thought scouts always found lots of holes in his game.

Francoeur was never projected high. He was called up from AA to be a stop-gap in June 2005 because the Raul Mondesi experiment failed miserably. Francoeur was only going to play before they could get someone else. But then he ended up hitting .375 for the season and the hype train was on. He was good in 2006 and 2007, hitting about a combined 50 homers and knocking in over 100 each season. Then he got a boner for home runs, showed up jacked out of his mind to camp in 2008, and began to regress hard.

McCann's call-up was the same way. Was never projected high. He got called up from AA because Johnny Estrada and Brayan Pena went on the DL in the span of 2 games.

Looking back on it, McCann and Francoeur really saved the Braves' ass in 2005.

Ron Washington just announced Yu Darvish will be missing his start on Thursday against the Orioles due to a tight right quad muscle. Roy Oswalt will start in his place.

Darvish is still scheduled to make his next scheduled start on Tuesday 8/28 against the Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom