• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Fuck this deal if it goes through. Getting A-Gon is good, but:

We don't need a 34 year old 3B batting .200.

We don't need another outfielder period, let alone a 31 year old coming off a surgery who makes $19.5 million to put up a .306 OBP and can no longer do the one thing that made him stand out (steal bases).

We don't need a pitcher who gets shelled against every decent lineup he faces and whose ERA has been ballooning since early June.

We certainly don't need to give up the best prospects on the farm to get these guys.

Everything but A-Gon is a net negative for this team. I'd rather call one of those pitching prospects up to replace Blanton and just ride it out than completely kneecap our flexibility for the next few years.

9:01pm: The Dodgers are expected to pick up more than $260MM of the $271.5MM

0077_8za3.gif

cashman

Banned
Fuck this deal if it goes through. Getting A-Gon is good, but:

We don't need a 34 year old 3B batting .200.

We don't need another outfielder period, let alone a 31 year old coming off a surgery who makes $19.5 million to put up a .306 OBP and can no longer do the one thing that made him stand out (steal bases).

We don't need a pitcher who gets shelled against every decent lineup he faces and whose ERA has been ballooning since early June.

We certainly don't need to give up the best prospects on the farm to get these guys.

Everything but A-Gon is a net negative for this team. I'd rather call one of those pitching prospects up to replace Blanton and just ride it out than completely kneecap our flexibility for the next few years.

giving up prospects and paying for it? Real real nice Magic.

I mean wasn't there a way to just get A-Gon and none of the other junk?

I can't believe they couldn't just get Beckett and Gonzo. Even for the same package of prospects. Getting Crawford is a waste.

Don't forget, they're gonna have to give Kershaw a $120-150 million contract soon too. Will they have the money to add a significant 2nd starter in Free Agency now? All that money and stuck with a rotation of Kershaw, Bekcett and Billingsly for the next few years would kind of suck for them.

To clear salary and gain prospects?

I guess A-Gon + one shit contract would have been okay, but three shit contracts, and you lose your best prospects? No, that's when you walk away from the table.

A-Gon is not a shit contract. He's still good and paid in line with other guys in his tier (Tex, Prince, Votto). The RedSox would be happy to keep him.

I think he was talking about the other three guys you got.

I know but I just mean in reference to the Red Sox trading Gonzo and only Gonzo. They had no incentive to really do that. They'd lose their best offensive player and still have Beckett and CC on the payroll so they couldn't rebuild. It was all or nothing for them.

it'll be interesting to see what the BoSox do from here. I think I read somewhere that they now have only like $40 million in committed salary. If they are really blowing it up do they let Big Papi walk? Give Elssbury a huge contract? Package these contracts together for another mega trade and get Justin Upton or something? Crazy to see a huge market team have this kind of flexibility overnight.

jman2050

Next time someone tries to downplay Cashman for having unlimited funds I'll just tell that that Cashman doesn't do stupid crap like this with his money.

Puddles

Banned
Punto at any price is a shit contract. Punto for a bottled water from the clubhouse vending machine is a shit contract. However, he's a tiny little rabbit turd compared to the massive Randy Marsh-esque turds of Crawford and Beckett's contracts.

So I guess it's just two shit contracts, but holy shit they are shit.

All that to upgrade (albeit significantly) at first base?

Paying Crawford $19.5 million dollars to sit on the bench is unbearably stupid.

As a Red Sox can hell yes on this deal. I like Gonzalez but to get rid of all that contracts is sweet and agin seemed to hate playing for the sox. Good move if it goes through

Dragon

Banned
I think he was talking about the other three guys you got.

Nick Punto sucks but I don't think three million dollars is anything to care about with all the other money going around.

Punto at any price is a shit contract. Punto for a bottled water from the clubhouse vending machine is a shit contract. However, he's a tiny little rabbit turd compared to the massive Randy Marsh-esque turds of Crawford and Beckett's contracts.

So I guess it's just two shit contracts, but holy shit they are shit.

All that to upgrade (albeit significantly) at first base?

Victorino is a free agent so not sure what you're talking about.

This I don't understand. I'd love to know if the RedSox insisted on the Dodgers taking on Crawful. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dodgers asked for him to be included, thinking after tommy john surgery he might return to form. I know Yasiel Puig is a few years away, but they gave him a ton of money too for a prospect, and now he has no way to get to the bigs any time soon with Kemp, Crawford and Ethier in the outfield. I wonder if they try to trade Ethier this offseason.

jman2050

Don't worry, the Red Sox will just replace Crawford's terrible contract with Ellsbury's soon-to-be terrible contract. And nothing of value was gained.

Puddles

Banned
I know but I just mean in reference to the Red Sox trading Gonzo and only Gonzo. They had no incentive to really do that. They'd lose their best offensive player and still have Beckett and CC on the payroll so they couldn't rebuild. It was all or nothing for them.

I'd love to hear how these talks went down.

LA: We're putting in a waiver claim on A-Gon.
Bos: Just testing the waters. You want him? You need to help us with our bad contracts.
LA: Okay, how about in addition to A-Gon, we take Beckett?
Bos: You take Beckett AND Crawford. Or no deal.
LA: Crawford? Didn't that guy just have season-ending surgery? And even if he were healthy, we've got no place to play him; our outfield is actually pretty good right now...
Bos: Beckett AND Crawford. And Punto. Or no deal.
LA: ... *Reaches for the lube*

Dragon

Banned
Don't worry, the Red Sox will just replace Crawford's terrible contract with Ellsbury's soon-to-be terrible contract. And nothing of value was gained.

Even if we assume your prediction comes true 1. Ellsbury is better than Crawford and 2. Even if not they got rid of three 15+ mill/year contracts.

looking at it Beckett only has 2 years left on his deal. Granted he's crap, but that's manageable for the way the Dodgers are spending. I think their reasoning might be that Beckett and Hanley come off the books in 2 years and will give them about $45 million of salary relief. Their payroll is still going to be insane.

Look at the bright side, Puddles: Had the Dodgers whiffed on Gonzalez, I honestly believe they would have looked into trading for Ryan Howard next year. This could be Lee/Howard/Papelbon instead. They needed a 1B badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom