• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much ass is it going to suck for the Dodgers if they don't at least grab a wild card spot after blowing their wad on Beckett/Gonzo/Crawful? Ugh, ownership must have more than a few ulcers right now.

Nah they cool. They looking out for the future too. Just assuring a good team for a couple of years.

STANDINGS UPDATE FOR SEPTEMBER 4

IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:

AL East Tiebreaker: Yankees @ Orioles
AL Wild Card Game: Yankees @ Athletics -OR- Orioles @ Athletics

NL Wild Card Game: Cardinals @ Braves

ALDS Game 1: Rangers @ Athletics -OR- Orioles -OR- Yankees
ALDS Game 1: White Sox @ Orioles -OR- Yankees

NLDS Game 1: Reds @ Braves -OR- Cardinals
NLDS Game 1: Giants @ Nationals

American League

EAST
LEADER: Orioles/Yankees
MAGIC NUMBER: 26
Code:
             W         L         GB
Orioles      76        59       ---
Yankees      76        59       ---
Rays         75        61       1.5

CENTRAL
LEADER: White Sox
MAGIC NUMBER: 27
Code:
             W         L         GB
White Sox    73        62        ---
Tigers       72        63        1.0

WEST
LEADER: Rangers
MAGIC NUMBER: 24
Code:
             W         L         GB
Rangers      80        55        ---
Athletics    76        59        4.0
Angels       73        63        7.5

WILD CARD
LEADER #1: Athletics/Orioles/Yankees
LEADER #2: ---
MAGIC NUMBER: 26
Code:
             W         L         GB
Athletics    76        59        ---
Orioles      76        59        ---
Yankees      76        59        ---
Rays         75        61        1.5
Angels       73        63        3.5
Tigers       72        63        4.0

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Rangers - 27 (2 @ KC, 3 @ TB, OFF, 3 vs. CLE, 3 vs. SEA, OFF, 3 @ LAA, 3 @ SEA, 4 vs. OAK, 3 vs. LAA, 3 @ OAK)

Orioles - 27 (1 @ TOR, 4 vs. NYY, OFF, 3 vs. TOR, 3 @ OAK, 3 @ SEA, OFF, 3 @ BOS, 4 vs. TOR, OFF, 3 vs. BOS, 3 @ TB)

Yankees - 27 (1 @ TB, 4 @ BAL, OFF, 3 @ BOS, 3 @ TB, OFF, 3 vs. TOR, 3 vs. OAK, 3 @ MIN, 4 @ TOR, 3 vs. BOS)

White Sox - 27 (1 vs. MIN, OFF, 3 vs. KC, 4 vs. DET, 3 @ MIN, OFF, 3 @ KC, 3 @ LAA, 3 vs. CLE, 4 vs. TB, 3 @ CLE)

Athletics - 27 (1 vs. LAA, OFF, 3 @ SEA, 4 @ LAA, 3 vs. BAL, OFF, 3 @ DET, 3 @ NYY, 4 @ TEX, 3 vs. SEA, 3 vs. TEX)

Rays - 26 (1 vs. NYY, OFF, 3 vs. TEX, OFF, 3 @ BAL, 3 @ NYY, 4 vs. BOS, 3 vs. TOR, OFF, 2 @ BOS, 4 @ CWS, 3 vs. BOS)

Angels - 26 (1 @ OAK, OFF, 3 vs. DET, 4 vs. OAK, 3 @ KC, OFF, 3 vs. TEX, 3 vs. CWS, OFF, 3 vs. SEA, 3 @ TEX, 3 @ SEA)

Tigers - 27 (1 vs. CLE, OFF, 3 @ LAA, 4 @ CWS, 3 @ CLE, OFF, 3 vs. OAK, 3 vs. MIN, 4 vs. KC, 3 @ MIN, 3 @ KC)

National League

EAST
LEADER: Nationals
MAGIC NUMBER: 20
Code:
             W         L         GB
Nationals    83        52        ---
Braves       76        60        7.5

CENTRAL
LEADER: Reds
MAGIC NUMBER: 18
Code:
             W         L         GB
Reds         83        54        ---
Cardinals    74        62        8.5
Pirates      71        64        11.0

WEST
LEADER: Giants
MAGIC NUMBER: 22
Code:
             W         L         GB
Giants       77        59        ---
Dodgers      73        64        4.5

WILD CARD
LEADER #1: Braves
LEADER #2: Cardinals
MAGIC NUMBER: 25
Code:
             W         L         GB
Braves       76        60       +2.0
Cardinals    74        62        ---
Dodgers      73        64        1.5
Pirates      71        64        2.5

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Nationals - 27 (1 vs. CHC, 3 vs. MIA, 3 @ NYM, OFF, 3 @ ATL, OFF, 3 vs. LAD, 4 vs. MIL, 3 @ PHI, 3 @ STL, 3 vs. PHI)

Reds - 25 (1 vs. PHI, OFF, 3 vs. HOU, 3 vs. PIT, OFF, 3 @ MIA, OFF, 3 @ CHC, 3 vs. LAD, OFF, 3 vs. MIL, 3 @ PIT, 3 @ STL)

Giants - 26 (1 vs. ARI, OFF, 3 vs. LAD, 3 @ COL, OFF, 3 @ ARI, 4 vs. COL, 3 vs. SD, OFF, 3 vs. ARI, 3 @ SD, 3 @ LAD)

Braves - 26 (2 vs. COL, 3 @ NYM, 3 @ MIL, OFF, 3 vs. WAS, 3 @ MIA, OFF, 3 @ PHI, OFF, 3 vs. MIA, 3 vs. NYM, 3 @ PIT)

Cardinals - 26 (1 vs. NYM, OFF, 3 vs. MIL, 3 @ SD, 4 @ LAD, OFF, 3 vs. HOU, 3 @ CHC, 3 @ HOU, OFF, 3 vs. WAS, 3 vs. CIN)

Dodgers - 25 (1 vs. SD, OFF, 3 @ SF, OFF, 2 @ ARI, 4 vs. STL, OFF, 3 @ WAS, 3 @ CIN, OFF, 3 @ SD, 3 vs. COL, 3 vs. SF)

Pirates - 27 (1 vs. HOU, OFF, 3 vs. CHC, 3 @ CIN, OFF, 4 @ CHC, 3 vs. MIL, 3 @ HOU, 4 @ NYM, 3 vs. CIN, 3 vs. ATL)

Sharp

Yeah, NL races look boring as fuck, but AL looks pretty crazy.

Lifelong O's fan here.
scaled.php

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So the Rangers could get the best record and their reward would be the Yankees in the first round.

Are you really complaining about your team being rewarded with getting the rights to a first round sweep? Who would you rather see them play instead of the Yankees? It doesn't get easier than that.

turnbuckle

So no more Up and In Baseball Prospectus podcast :(

Is there any alternative podcast that comes close? I listen to Baseball today and Fantasy Focus, but neither of them hold a candle to Up and In. Nice gig for Kevin, but he's left a vacancy in my week and in my heart.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Is there any alternative podcast that comes close? I listen to Baseball today and Fantasy Focus, but neither of them hold a candle to Up and In. Nice gig for Kevin, but he's left a vacancy in my week and in my heart.
nope. :(

Up and In was head and shoulders above everyone else.

turnbuckle

nope. :(

Up and In was head and shoulders above everyone else.

Damn. Learned a lot about players I'd otherwise never hear about because I'm too lazy to read the site / can't as effectively get paid to read as I can listening to a podcast. And it wasn't just the info, but the chemistry and everything else other than baseball talk that I loved (that everyone loved). I love how Steve Berthiume was on the final episode and basically said the same thing. You could tell he greatly preferred BP's podcast to the ESPN ones.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Ain't nothing like it. Still haven't listened to the last episode, not sure I ever want to really.

I always wanted to know who Not Jim Tracy actually was.

turnbuckle

Ain't nothing like it. Still haven't listened to the last episode, not sure I ever want to really.

I always wanted to know who Not Jim Tracy actually was.

Almost made me want to cry.

Good thing the professor got a promotion too. You could tell losing the podcast hit him pretty hard. Almost had a man tear when he started talking about how much the weekly cast and fan support meant to him. The thing about this podcast is that you could tell pretty much from episode one that it was gonna be incredible, in part because the hosts weren't trying to do anything special.

I'm a bad person to sort of hope the Astros project fails and Kevin comes back to tell tales of his time with that organization.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Man, the Reds game isn't on TV? Today of all days? I don't have time to go to the ballpark, either. This is a bummer.

Gotta find a radio.
what kind of sorcery is this? (mlb.tv has the Phillies feed). I can maybe understand a team like the A's not having a few broadcasts, but the Reds?

what kind of sorcery is this? (mlb.tv has the Phillies feed). I can maybe understand a team like the A's not having a few broadcasts, but the Reds?

They have agreements that limit the amount of games they can show on FSN-OHIO, despite having some of the best ratings in baseball (due to the regional fanbase, like the Braves).

Day games usually get the shaft, but I know Marty and Cowboy will be on the radio, at least.

eznark

Banned
They have agreements that limit the amount of games they can show on FSN-OHIO, despite having some of the best ratings in baseball (due to the regional fanbase, like the Braves).

Day games usually get the shaft, but I know Marty and Cowboy will be on the radio, at least.

Maybe that's why I never see any Reds fans walking around (or at GAB), they all live elsewhere!

Maybe that's why I never see any Reds fans walking around (or at GAB), they all live elsewhere!

They do, honestly. Cincinnati only has like 300,000 people. Milwaukee, by comparison, has 600,000 people. They depend on the Ohio/NKY/So. Indiana markets to survive.

Milwaukee averages only about 5000 fans more a game, despite having double the population.

eznark

Banned
They do, honestly. Cincinnati only has like 300,000 people. Milwaukee, by comparison, has 600,000 people. They depend on the Ohio/NKY/So. Indiana markets to survive.

Milwaukee averages only about 5000 fans more a game, despite having double the population.

Only 5,000? You realize that's like half a million more people per year.

Also Cincinnati metro is over 2 million. Milwaukee metro is 1.8 I think.

Only 5,000? You realize that's like half a million more people per year.

Also Cincinnati metro is over 2 million. Milwaukee metro is 1.8 I think.

I wonder what the comparable size of those metros are, however. Cincinnati is the only game in town for hours. Check it out:

Greatercincinnaticounties.png

Milwaukee-Waukesha-West_Allis_Metropolitan_Area.png

I looked up the sq Milage. The land area for the CIncinnati MSA vs. Milwaukee MSA is nearly 3 times as large in square miles.

Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN 4,398.2 Sq. miles
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI 1,459.8 Sq. Miles

I mean, it's a dumb thing to talk about, but I wouldn't use attendance to indict an entire fanbase as apathetic. It's just a different reality between Milwaukee, one of the most densely populated areas in the country, vs. Cincinnati, a commercial outpost in the middle of a desert of farmland.

so... RA Dickey has to try and win number 18 vs. Adam Wainwright with David Wright having a day off. Cardinals have Berkman and Beltran in the lineup today.

If Dickey wins today it'll be amazing.

so... RA Dickey has to try and win number 18 vs. Adam Wainwright with David Wright having a day off. Cardinals have Berkman and Beltran in the lineup today.

If Dickey wins today it'll be amazing.

Wainwright got obliterated by the Nats in his last start, but the way he was pitching, the Astros could have tore him up.

The Phillies really turned around their season, huh? I didn't even realize the Mariners.

Also, Votto seems to be hitting pretty well today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom