• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hmm. It looks like it *could* have been said when he got up. It looks like he leans in really quick by BP's ear, stopping him in his tracks.

Did you see the throw-over? It was uncomfortable, to say the least.

God, I hope they don't get a dumbass fist-fight over this shit.
yeah I watched the entire inning. phillps looked pissed.

McNei1y

There could be some racism in there somewhere but I don't see it from that video. What I see is Philips angry about being hit. Then again, I'll stand corrected if at some point Barajas or Hughes or anyone else had said something disrespectful towards Philips. But from what I can tell, I can't see it in that video.

There could be some racism in there somewhere but I don't see it from that video. What I see is Philips angry about being hit. Then again, I'll stand corrected if at some point Barajas or Hughes or anyone else had said something disrespectful towards Philips. But from what I can tell, I can't see it in that video.

But, it seems like he is ready to go to first base, and he just stops in his tracks about the time Barajas got up and lunged in really close to his ear. It's just guessing, but I think it's entirely possible that Brandon at least THOUGHT he heard a racist remark. I've seen him get beaned like 20 times. His demeanor was different than I had ever seen before.

eznark

Banned
Barajas has played for 7 teams in his 14 year MLB career. Interesting that at age 36 he decides to start dropping racsit shit after catching behind what, a few thousand non-white at-bats?

And Barajas calls Phillips a racial slur and he never turns and says anything to him? Never drops that old fuckers ass in his tracks? Instead he non-chalantly tosses a ball out to the pitcher and saunters to first?

If it was when Phillips hitches right after getting hit then Cuzzi had to have heard it as well, they were equidistant. If true than he needs to be fired, Barajas suspended the remainder of the season and fined to kingdom come.

lol, by lunge at him I guess you mean when he go in front of Phillips in case he went after the pitcher? Phillips has no reaction there, doesn't even glance at Barajas, and we think that's when he was a victim of hate speech?

The MLB will launch an investigation, I'm sure. But there is no way you can prove anything, so why bother? I just want the teams tonight to play baseball rather than throwing at each other or even worse, fist-fighting.

Also, Chapman has been way overworked. He needs about a week off, and even then, he still might be fucked up for a while.

Windu

ok well on the pirates feed you could see Hughes say a few choice words towards Phillps after the ball toss.

eznark

Banned
If it was Hughes that's the troubling part. He should immediately have been objected. It even looks like Cuzzi gets in his face a bit.

If you are going to make accusations that implicate what, potentially 6 people of blatant racism, 2 of whom are directly tied to the integrity of games every day, then you should be significantly more explicit when you do so.

harSon

Banned
The MLB will launch an investigation, I'm sure. But there is no way you can prove anything, so why bother? I just want the teams tonight to play baseball rather than throwing at each other or even worse, fist-fighting.

Also, Chapman has been way overworked. He needs about a week off, and even then, he still might be fucked up for a while.

Our team doesn't have the spine to do something, if anything occurs, it will spear headed by the thuggish Reds who've proven that they don't mind intentionally beaning opposing players or getting into brawls.

McNei1y

But, it seems like he is ready to go to first base, and he just stops in his tracks about the time Barajas got up and lunged in really close to his ear. It's just guessing, but I think it's entirely possible that Brandon at least THOUGHT he heard a racist remark. I've seen him get beaned like 20 times. His demeanor was different than I had ever seen before.

It's entirely possible. But it also could've been Philips just stopping and allowing Barajas to pass lol. Like Ez said, it's possible that he could've said something while passing by but Philips looks straight ahead and Barajas walks by looking in his direction while the ump was behind Philips so he possibly could've been talking to the ump.

I don't know though, I'm not a detective or nothin. And you're familiar with how he acts in these situations so anythings possible.

Windu

looks like hughes says something about throwing that ball back and it looks like he says you n****r motherfucker.

It's entirely possible. But it also could've been Philips just stopping and allowing Barajas to pass lol. Like Ez said, it's possible that he could've said something while passing by but Philips looks straight ahead and Barajas walks by looking in his direction while the ump was behind Philips so he possibly could've been talking to the ump.

I don't know though, I'm not a detective or nothin. And you're familiar with how he acts in these situations so anythings possible.

No, I think it's possible Barajas just gave the typical shit-talking, if he said anything at all. You can't tell with that mask on.

I didn't notice the Hughes interaction, it sounds like that might be it.

McNei1y

No, I think it's possible Barajas just gave the typical shit-talking, if he said anything at all. You can't tell with that mask on.

I didn't notice the Hughes interaction, it sounds like that might be it.

Yeah I would say its more this than Barajas saying anything.

Yeah I would say its more this than Barajas saying anything.

Yeah, at worst, he might have said "get the fuck out my face" or something. Because, if you notice, Phillips seems pissed, but looks okay going back. But the way he was death-staring the pitcher while sitting on first makes me think if the racist comment was made during THAT inning, it was Hughes that did it. However, he could have just been pissed off about getting beaned, but like I said, I've seen him beaned dozens of times and he's usually more like "That didn't even hurt me, I'm going to keep playing hard" kind of swagger, like most ball players who get beaned do.

eznark

Banned
I would pretty much bet my life that it wasn't Barajas. For one he continues to speak to the umpire the entire time Phillips is in the box, clearly trying to get a ball and go talk to Hughes. Second, he is a shitty 36 year old journeyman catcher who sticks around baseball because of Crash Davis wisdom, not because of skill. He can't hit and can barely throw a baseball to the pitcher. A guy like that can't afford to be filled with hate and bile.

Hughes seems like a volatile piece of shit and that's where I am legitimately pissed because there is no earthly way he could have said something to Phillips that the umpires didn't hear.

I think you are right, Ez. Truth be told, the Reds feed doesn't show the interaction between Hughes and BP, and so I naturally presumed it had to be the catcher because of the way he stops in his tracks. I dunno.

Have you seen him beaned after going 0-9 in his last two games against mediocre pitchers?

I can't remember. It's possible.

eznark

Banned
So if you are watching MLB.tv it's at 3:32:10 on the Pirates feed. Close up on Hughes, couldn't be framed better. Here is what I saw:

"Throw that ball the fuck again you motherfucker"

I am not a professional lip reader. CLEARLY though, the issue is with Hughes. I think he potentially said "black ass" at some point. That's kind of by stretching it though.

Either way, stop slandering Barajas!

The other thing is, Phillips doesn't show any reaction til later. Like he had to convince himself that Hughes said something racist.

So if you are watching MLB.tv it's at 3:32:10. Here is what I saw:

"Throw that ball the fuck again you motherfucker"

I am not a professional lip reader. CLEARLY though, the issue is with Hughes. Stop slandering Barajas!

So if it wasn't Hughes, and you seem sure it wasn't Barajas... Do you think the most likely scenario is BP was lying? I'm pretty sure at least BP THINKS he heard something racist in that inning, though. So I really don't know who else it could be.

I don't have MLB.TV, so I have no idea where BP thinks he heard a racist remark. Inconclusive from my perspective.

I would pretty much bet my life that it wasn't Barajas. For one he continues to speak to the umpire the entire time Phillips is in the box, clearly trying to get a ball and go talk to Hughes. Second, he is a shitty 36 year old journeyman catcher who sticks around baseball because of Crash Davis wisdom, not because of skill. He can't hit and can barely throw a baseball to the pitcher. A guy like that can't afford to be filled with hate and bile.

Hughes seems like a volatile piece of shit and that's where I am legitimately pissed because there is no earthly way he could have said something to Phillips that the umpires didn't hear.

After watching that clip I have to agree with this. It seems Barajas was just trying to keep the peace and was talking the whole time to the ump. Hughes seems to get a roided out look on his face for a moment. Repeatedly licking his lips.

eznark

Banned
So if it wasn't Hughes, and you seem sure it wasn't Barajas... Do you think the most likely scenario is BP was lying?

See my edit. I think Phillips convinced himself that Hughes said something racist because he wants to believe it.

Another thing, they showed Hughes a few times when he barked at Phillips and the announcers both chuckled and commented "he doesn't back down from anybody" so they obviously didn't read his lips as racist.

As to throwing over to first, that was pretty clearly because Hughes took offense to Phillips throwing the ball back in his direction.

eznark

Banned
I'll say this, by the time the inning ended Brandon Phillips absolutely thought Hughes called him a racial slur.

He also bitched out and begged McCutchen to take care of it instead of handling it himself.

harSon

Banned
I'll say this, by the time the inning ended Brandon Phillips absolutely thought Hughes called him a racial slur.

He also bitched out and begged McCutchen to take care of it instead of handling it himself.

I would too if the only thing I could do is make some vague half-assed grammatically incorrect comment on twitter with the accusation in hash tags.

That seems to be the case.

I think that's entirely possible. Once again, from what I can see inconclusive. But, baseball players are stupid, so I expect petty retaliations anyway.

I wish I could read the lips of what BP was saying to the Ump after he told McCutchen something on his way back to the dugout.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24659381&c_id=mlb

It's on the end of this video. At least, we could see what BP THINKS happened.

EDIT: I went to Redszone.com, a 'major' reds message board. This is really stupid on BP's part if this is true, but most of the posters seem to suggest that BP was mad because somebody (maybe not Hughes) referred to him as "boy." I didn't even know that was a racist term, but this is a good example of trying to find racism where there isn't any, if this happens to be the case.

Eh, let's get back to baseball.

Windu

can't find any quotes from phillps (probably didn't talk to the media) but found a few from hughes:
“I was not expecting the ball to come back towards me,” Hughes said told Pittsburgh writers. “Usually the ball goes to the bat boy after someone gets hit. I was kind of startled, and it upset me.”
Bad blood has simmered between the teams since Aroldis Chapman plunked Andrew McCutchen with a 98-mph fastball in the opener of the Bucs' last series here. Phillips immediately got on Hughes' bad side by retrieving the ball and flipping it back to him, and after the end of that inning jawed a bit with McCutchen as the center fielder trotted off the field.

"He definitely threw the ball at me, and it upset me at the time," Hughes said. "The ball goes to the dugout after you hit somebody. It was so loud, I couldn't hear what he was saying."
Hughes said Phillips didn't say anything when he flipped the ball -- or if he did, Hughes didn't hear it.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...s-lose-to-reds-4-3-in-14th-inning-652822/?p=0

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/...012_09_10_pitmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=pit

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/09/11/phillips-charges-racism-in-tweet/
EDIT: I went to Redszone.com, a 'major' reds message board. This is really stupid on BP's part if this is true, but most of the posters seem to suggest that BP was mad because somebody (maybe not Hughes) referred to him as "boy." I didn't even know that was a racist term, but this is a good example of trying to find racism where there isn't any, if this happens to be the case.

Eh, let's get back to baseball.
I guess I could see that being interpreted that way, but it is still silly if true.

I guess I could see that being interpreted that way, but it is still silly if true.

Naw, they are wrong. Brandon said (pointing to where McCutchen was) "that's my boy" explaining to the ref that he wasn't trying to start shit up again, but rather he was just telling McCutch what happened. So, the boy theory probably came from that clip, and if so, they were likely mistaken.

Anyway, unless something more comes out of this, I'm done talking about it. Sorry, I just had to clarify that last point.

Astros have released Francisco Cordero.

Sounds like that's a wrap for Coco.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib
Hughes, Phillips talked it out on phone. #pirates #reds Both sides put issue to rest. McCutchen was go between

Now they can have a beer summit and its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom