• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be thrilled to see Kimbrel get it. The few games here and there I've seen him pitch, good lord the kid's got it. Plus there was no starter in the NL who I'd really consider a shoo-in like Halladay and Kershaw were the last couple years.

I hope Dickey gets it because it would be cool to see a knuckleballer get it.

Gannd

Banned
He'd be singing a different tune about sabermetrics if Trout was a Tiger and Miggy an Angel. I do appreciate the awesomeness of someone potentially winning a Triple Crown for the first time in almost fifty years, but there's no doubt about Trout.

The problem with the sabermetrics argument is that it discounts the historic accomplishment. Baseball is a game made up of history just as much as it is a stat game.

Can we all agree on how badly ESPN sucks? On Baseball tonight, the story of the year is the Nationals and the O's, not the Athletics who won more games than anyone since June. Did it with less money and were expected to lose 100 games at the start of the season. And, apparently, Bob Melvin shouldn't be AL Manager of the year.

rubius01

The problem with the sabermetrics argument is that it discounts the historic accomplishment. Baseball is a game made up of history just as much as it is a stat game.

Can we all agree on how badly ESPN sucks? On Baseball tonight, the story of the year is the Nationals and the O's, not the Athletics who won more games than anyone since June. Did it with less money and were expected to lose 100 games at the start of the season. And, apparently, Bob Melvin shouldn't be AL Manager of the year.

East coast bias at work

xbhaskarx

Can you win the Cy Young even if your team doesn't make the playoffs? Is that requirement only for MVP candidates? Obviously a pitcher can't be very good if he doesn't magically turn all the scrubs on his team into all stars...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jerry Green said:
There is no doubt that Mike Trout is first over Miguel Cabrera in both WAR I and WAR II.

But Cabrera is first in the American League.
Cabrera also leads Trout in number of rides received from his GM from jail to the ballpark.

In 2014, TBS will no longer carry all four playoff division series. Starting that year, FOX gets two and TBS gets the other two. I'm assuming it'll be a NL/AL rotation like the NLCS and ALCS is.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Chris Carpenter is scheduled to pitch tomorrow for the Cardinals, so you can forget him in any potential tiebreaker against the Dodgers or the Wild Card Game against the Braves.

Mike Matheny told reporters that if they still haven't clinched the WC after Tuesday, Adam Wainwright will pitch Wednesday, so that would also knock him out of a tiebreaker and the WC game. That seems to imply that Wainwright would be their guy in the WC game.
Gooooo dodgers/reds
Part of the new tv deal includes no Saturday blackouts as of 2014.
!!!!!!!! Awesome
Jayson Stark says he's voting Mike Trout as AL MVP. Also said he's voting Craig Kimbrel as NL Cy Young.
As much as i love kimbrel, i just cant get behind the notion of voting for a reliever for cy.
lol sigh

Matheny just announced Kyle Lohse is pitching the WC game even if Wainwright doesn't pitch tomorrow. No word on what they would do if they had to play a tiebreaker.

The Braves faced Kyle Lohse once this season and battered him. Braves won 10-7. Lohse's line in a no-decision against ATL on May 30:

K.LOHSE(STL) -- 5.0 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR , 79 PIT-55 STR

McCann and Freeman both homered.

RBH

How exactly does MLB.tv/MLB At Bat work in regards to the playoffs?

Do they offer live streaming of all the playoff games, and if so, should I get it now or will they probably drop the price in a few days?

I don't have cable and I'm out of the house most of the time, so I'd like to be able to watch the games that are airing on TBS at least.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Mlb.tv is blacked out for the postseason. Domestically at least.
Matheny just announced Kyle Lohse is pitching the WC game even if Wainwright doesn't pitch tomorrow. No word on what they would do if they had to play a tiebreaker.

The Braves faced Kyle Lohse once this season and battered him. Braves won 10-7. Lohse's line in a no-decision against ATL on May 30:

McCann and Freeman both homered.
Ooo good. I didnt want to face wainwright. Lohse doesnt really have a split though, he is about the same to both sides. Havent looked at film on him but i assume his slider and curve break different ways and he uses each one depending on the batter so that is why there isnt much of a split. Also throws a change up.

zulux21

Oh God, please put AL on TBS, please put AL on TBS...

im hoping for the exact opposite lol. I want the AL games on Fox as I get Fox and don't get TBS and figure that will remain the same when 2014 rolls around.

How exactly does MLB.tv/MLB At Bat work in regards to the playoffs?

Do they offer live streaming of all the playoff games, and if so, should I get it now or will they probably drop the price in a few days?

I don't have cable and I'm out of the house most of the time, so I'd like to be able to watch the games that are airing on TBS at least.

last year the mlb.tv sub only allowed you to watch the games after the fact due to black outs, but if I recall right they offered a postseason package that for 10 or 15 you could watch the postseason games without black outs....
I can't recall if it required a mlb.tv sub and it was on top of that or if it was separate so if you didn't have a sub you could get it though..

The Braves faced Kyle Lohse once this season and battered him. Braves won 10-7. Lohse's line in a no-decision against ATL on May 30
To be fair, I think the Braves battered every Cardinals pitcher they faced this season.

Lohse is the best choice (especially with a quick hook). He's been the most consistent starter this year and he deserves to start what could be final game of the Cards season. Wainwright is great when he's on but he's been prone to getting blown up every now and again.

Sounds like Pedroia is gonna play tonight with a broken finger. Just when I'd lost all respect for the Sox, too. Gotta give him props for that.

The original trollface.
JerryGreen.jpg

Maxim726X

Who also turned it on during the last month of the season and is one of the main factors in his team reaching the post-season?

It wasn't Trout.

Who also turned it on during the last month of the season and is one of the main factors in his team reaching the post-season?

It wasn't Trout.

I totally agree with you. I dont get how a guy is valuable to his team if they dont go anywhere. With him they missed the playoffs and without him they probably miss the playoffs. They really need to rename the award if they want it to just be based on individual performance.

The Seattle Mariners announced that they are moving in portions of the outfield wall at Safeco Field for the 2013 season. The changes, which will primarily affect the left field power alley, are the first to the field dimensions since the ballpark opened in 1999.

Executive Vice President and General Manager Jack Zduriencik said, "Our goal was to create an environment that is fair for both hitters and pitchers. Considering the current field dimensions as well as the climate in and around Safeco Field, we feel this will be accomplished with this new layout."

Took em long enough. Now get someone who can hit homeruns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom