• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ya, well I hope Posey wins MVP cuz he's pretty, and he has grit
cuz he's white lulz

satire, all I've heard this week is arguing over awards for baseball

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I went back and read last year's Game 162 insanity last night starting when the Cardinals beat the Astros.
that thread should be erased from existence.
Oh ya, well I hope Posey wins MVP cuz he's pretty, and he has grit
cuz he's white lulz

satire, all I've heard this week is arguing over awards for baseball
i'd vote for him. The NL has a lot of deserving candidates but in the AL....its not close...at all.

Miguel Cabrera wins Triple Crown he wins MVP period.

Who cares. Yall need to stop hating.
tumblr_lrlgl6ktOe1qiitsp.gif

zulux21

Trout leads Cabrera in wOBA, which I believe is pretty much a non-weighted version of wRC+.

In baseball, wOBA (or weighted on-base average)
i have a feeling something defined as weighted on base average is indeed weighted :p It's not weighted by league/park though.

the formula can be found here

it's just a way to assign different values to the stuff that makes up OPS, which OPS assigns values to hits based off how many bases the hit was, which is debatable if that is the right away to do it (hence why something like wOBA exists)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
you can question whether wRC+/wOBA is better than OPS+ but there is no question about it, wRC+/wOBA/OPS+ etc..are better than OPS.

even if you use OPS, do you really think the 40 or so point difference outweighs the huge difference in baserunning and defense?

That link will kill a good hour, thanks Frankie.

I remember screaming my head off that night and trying to explain to my wife (futilely) the amazing things that were happening one after another.
Crazy night here in Gaf. Thank god i was on from the beginning lol. Went to sleep with a smile on my face lol

zulux21

you can question whether wRC+/wOBA is better than OPS+ but there is no question about it, wRC+/wOBA/OPS+ etc..are better than OPS.

even if you use OPS, do you really think the 40 or so point difference outweighs the huge difference in baserunning and defense?

to you there is no question, but again if you prefer facts over estimations there is a question :p

if you go back to my last post I said
with that said I still think the best overall player in the AL was trout

which if it wasn't clear enough was saying that I personally feel that trout is the MVP and his baserunning/defense make up for cabreras potential slight edge in hitting. At no point have I argued against Trout being the MVP, I've merely argued with the value of the stats that you value as you can make all the estimations you want but when it comes down to it baseball isn't so easy to accurately predict no matter how informed the predictions are. Again I think that wRC+ is a fun and useful stat in general, but it really just adjusts via predictions which makes it not a fact.

Again though despite the fact that I personally would vote Trout MVP if we were just looking at individual performance (if that is how we define value, as the best overall player based solely on their performance), I have little doubt that the person who takes home the MVP will be Cabrera.

tino

Banned
Does any know if I can buy the post season package to watch on my Android phone? I am complete clueless about this stuff. I only have OTA TV.

zulux21

They should have taken advantage of the 1 year window the Phillies gave them.

they tried, I mean they won more games this year than last. It will be interesting to see how braves fans react if the cards manage to snatch away a wild card playoff birth at the very last moment again (aka cards win the wild card play in)

This has been the most tiresome MVP discussion ever. I hope Derek Fucking Jeter wins it.

I could probably whip up a sabermetric to make that work. Simply weigh a players performance to the under-performance of his teammates in comparison to their contracts, multiply by age and square to his ITGf (Intangibles factor), and bam, Jeter MVP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom