• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JambiBum

You don't understand why a city with more than 30% of it's populace being Cuban might be more sensitive to comments nobody else really cares about?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1180...ntary-remarks-about-fidel-castro-in-2008.html

There is a distinction in what he's saying there and he's said it before and nobody cared.

From watching coverage on it this morning, it seems like the biggest hangups people are having in this situation is the fact that he said that he loves and respects him in the interview. He went on to clarify just like he did in the interview you quoted, but now that he is in Miami it is a lot bigger deal.

bjb

Banned
Despite their awful start the Braves are still ok in their division. I mean, the Mets...THE METS are not going to hold first place lol

Jon

How crazy is it of me that I wish the Phillies had Daniel Murphy? I really like that guy, and he can play a few positions. He's had a few freak injuries, but I don't know if that makes him "injury prone". I'm really interested to see what kind of numbers he puts up for a full year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How crazy is it of me that I wish the Phillies had Daniel Murphy? I really like that guy, and he can play a few positions. He's had a few freak injuries, but I don't know if that makes him "injury prone". I'm really interested to see what kind of numbers he puts up for a full year.

A guy with a .810 OPS last season and has the ability to play multiple positions (although he's a pretty bad outfielder) and seems to be holding his own at 2B? I think most teams would want that kind of guy on their team.

RBH

AqFbRNFCEAE2a06.jpg

Third home game of the season, five minutes before first pitch, and here's the scene at the Coliseum pic.twitter.com/q5cyvYen
https://twitter.com/#!/JaneMLB/status/189533010448748545

RBH

MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on Majestic 2011 sales figures

1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Cliff Lee, Philadelphia Phillies
3. *Albert Pujols, LA Angels of Anaheim
4. Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
5. Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies
6. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
7. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
8. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
9. *Hunter Pence, Philadelphia Phillies
10. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
11. Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies
12. Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins
13. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
14. Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox
15. Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
16. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
17. Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
18. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
19. Carl Crawford, Boston Red Sox
20. David Freese, St. Louis Cardinals
http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?...s-in-mlb-for-2011&catid=30:mlb-news&Itemid=42

I would LOVE to live next to a stadium like the Coliseum. Doesn't matter that I'm an STL fan, I'd buy season tickets to any stadium with that many open/cheap seats and go to every damn game. Closest ballpark to me now is ~2.5 hours away (Wrigley, U.S. Cellular, and Busch all being about the same distance from me), and I sure wish I could be closer to any park.

No way does Ozzie get fired this quickly.

I am surprised Ozzie only got 5 games. It will be interesting to see if the fans forgive him. I really will never understand what makes people think it is a good idea to say positive things about people like Castro, Stalin or Hitler. Respect is the last thing you should be showing towards people like that.

newjeruse

PR:
MLB NETWORK STRIKE ZONE CHANNEL LAUNCHES TODAY

New Channel to Provide Viewers with Live Look-Ins, Highlights & Updates from Every MLB Regular Season Game on Tuesday & Friday Nights

Bright House Networks, DIRECTV, DISH Network & Time Warner Cable to Carry

MLB Network Strike Zone

Secaucus, N.J., April 10, 2012 – MLB Network today announced the launch of MLB Network Strike Zone, a new channel that will take viewers on a high-speed trip around Major League Baseball on Tuesday and Friday nights during the regular season. When live game telecasts air on MLB Network, MLB Network Strike Zone will bring fans to every game across the league, with up-to-the-minute highlights, live look-ins and updates, all commercial-free.

MLB Network Strike Zone will launch on Bright House Networks, DIRECTV, DISH Network and Time Warner Cable today, April 10 at 7:00 p.m. ET.

“MLB Network Strike Zone will provide baseball fans with the award-winning coverage of all 30 clubs they’ve come to rely on from MLB Network,” said Tony Petitti, President and CEO of MLB Network. “We’re excited to continue to expand the reach and scope of MLB Network’s programming.”

MLB Network Strike Zone will be available on the following offerings:

- Bright House Networks: Bakersfield, Calif. - Channel 1124; Birmingham, Ala. – Channel 464; Detroit – Channel 698; Indianapolis – Channel 425; Orlando and Tampa – Channel 1143

- DIRECTV® SPORTS PACK and MLB EXTRA INNINGS® package: Channel 719

- DISH Network, Multi-Sport Pack: Channel 153

- Time Warner Cable: Albany, Austin, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Cleveland, Columbia, Columbus, Corpus Christi, Dallas, El Paso, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Milwaukee/Green Bay, New York City, Palm Springs, Portland, Raleigh, Rochester, San Antonio, San Diego, Syracuse and Waco.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ozzie has spent over 40 minutes at this press conference. I think he feels very sad and very embarrassed by the whole ordeal over his very stupid comment.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Someone on ESPN said, "Saying 'I love Castro' is like saying 'I love Hitler.'"

Wow. What ignorance. Anyway, I still think it's hypocritical for a multimillionaire baseball manager to say that he loves Castro. The guy is an idiot who just likes to look like a rebel.

Wow. What ignorance. Anyway, I still think it's hypocritical for a multimillionaire baseball manager to say that he loves Castro. The guy is an idiot who just likes to look like a rebel.

You're ignorant, Lebatard is a cuban-american and he said that. Castro is as evil as it gets for them, like Hitler is to the rest of the world. That's all he meant by it.

I would LOVE to live next to a stadium like the Coliseum. Doesn't matter that I'm an STL fan, I'd buy season tickets to any stadium with that many open/cheap seats and go to every damn game. Closest ballpark to me now is ~2.5 hours away (Wrigley, U.S. Cellular, and Busch all being about the same distance from me), and I sure wish I could be closer to any park.
It's a shame that the Cards don't play the A's that often in interleague. Coliseum tickets are so much cheaper than the ones @ Pac Bell
yeah, I think AT&T Park is a dumb name

Malo

Banned
http://i.minus.com/jbg7HgUR7iEM8C.png[img]

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/team/2012[/url]
[url]http://calltothepen.com/2012/04/05/2012-mlb-team-salaries/[/url][/QUOTE]
First time in years our opening day payroll is under $200 million.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You're ignorant, Lebatard is a cuban-american and he said that. Castro is as evil as it gets for them, like Hitler is to the rest of the world. That's all he meant by it.
Oh, I'm ignorant. OK, thank you for the insult. I've taken three separate classes on Castro, and wrote papers on him, but I'm ignorant. Alright, it seems like you know me well, thank you!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
14 mil, goddamn, what was the min salary back then? 350k? That would be around 8.7 minimum.

If you had heard Lebatard's comments on the radio today maybe you would understand. Obviously Castro didnt kill the number of people, but if it was one of your loved ones that he killed you would hate him all the same. It was an incredibly insensitive and stupid thing for Ozzie to say.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
If you had heard Lebatard's comments on the radio today maybe you would understand. Obviously Castro didnt kill the number of people, but if it was one of your loved ones that he killed you would hate him all the same. It was an incredibly insensitive and stupid thing for Ozzie to say.
I'm not saying Ozzie's comments weren't dumb. Hell, I said yesterday that I thought he should be let go.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I have little sympathy for Guillen if only because saying anything positive about Castro in Miami should've been the first thing on his list of taboos. This was something he should've thought through beforehand. I am bewildered that he could accidentally say it. However, I also don't want to see him fired. The five game suspension is probably an appropriate punishment.

Oh, I'm ignorant. OK, thank you for the insult. I've taken three separate classes on Castro, and wrote papers on him, but I'm ignorant. Alright, it seems like you know me well, thank you!

Idc what you know about Castro (Reading a book and being among his victims leads to two different understandings btw), you were insulting Lebatard. You just called a cuban-american's opinion on Guillen's comments ignorant when you didn't understand where they are coming from. Got cubans in the family, grew up in So Fla. You did not understand what Lebatard meant yet were so sure you did that you insulted the man. Seems ignorant to me.

Not to mention Castro is still in power and has killed some of our fans family's with other's in prison cells right now. If he said he respected Hitler it would be easier to sweep under the rug than Castro just because this is Miami. Lebatard was just making sure those who don't understand Miami understand the weight of this. This is something good reporter's do.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Idc what you know about Castro (Reading a book and being among his victims leads to two different understandings btw), you were insulting Lebatard. You just called a cuban-american's opinion on Guillen's comments ignorant when you didn't understand where they are coming from. Got cubans in the family, grew up in So Fla. You did not understand what Lebatard meant yet were so sure you did that you insulted the man. Seems ignorant to me.

Not to mention Castro is still in power and has killed some of our fans family's with other's in prison cells right now. If he said he respected Hitler it would be easier to sweep under the rug than Castro just because this is Miami. Lebatard was just making sure those who don't understand Miami understand the weight of this. This is something good reporter's do.
I don't want to make this a political discussion, so I'll end this here, but most Cuban families in Miami don't hate Castro because he killed their families, but because he took their property. I'll end that here. Whatever, because like I said, I thought Ozzie should be let go.

Prade

Despite their awful start the Braves are still ok in their division. I mean, the Mets...THE METS are not going to hold first place lol

Met announcers were talking yesterday about why the division has tightened up. It isn't so much the fact that the Fish and Nats have improved, but more the fact that the Braves and Phils are a bit more mortal this season with the injuries and offensive problems. NL east is going to be fun to watch this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom